The Student Room Group

Family making me feel guilty about going to Uni. (Unintentionally)

So my parents are divorced and I have just the one brother who has his own house with his wife and child. We've always been a close family and my Mum, Dad & Brother all live within 5 minutes of each other.

I currently live alternating weeks with either parent. So one week at Mums, one week at Dads and so on. They are both single so they kind of rely on me for company and someone to be at the house with.

I'm going to University this September and will be living a good 5 hours train journey away from home. On face value, my Parents are being very supportive saying it's great and everything but I can tell they're distraught that I will be leaving them on their own and I think they're also a bit scared.

They keep saying things like "I don't know what I'm going to do when you've gone" and "It's going to be so lonely here" and so on.

My Nephew who is 5 also said how much he's going to miss me and saying he doesn't want me to go.

I just need some advice/words of wisdom about this, I'm even having crazy thoughts of withdrawing my application and getting a job so I don't have to leave.

I know it will be the best thing I've ever done but the things they keep saying is making me feel so incredibly guilty to the point where I'm feeling like a horrible selfish person and getting myself upset over it.

Has anyone else felt like this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending