The Student Room Group

Tattoo - can parents stop me from getting one?

So next week I’ve booked a tattoo appointment and haven’t told my parents. Bearing in mind I do live with them and I am almost 20 years old.
My sister and my boyfriend are saying I should tell my mum before getting it. I was going to get it and then tell her after but apparently that’s not a good idea.
If I tell my mum and she says no to a tattoo, can o stilll in fact get one without her permission or is this disrespectful? My whole entire family hates tattoos and no one has any. I love them on the other side and the one im getting is just a small thing.
What do I do???
Hey, I’m sorry you have to go through this as it must be pretty like stressful. , you can still get one as you’re over 18.
Reply 2
Original post by ebyrne2036
Hey, I’m sorry you have to go through this as it must be pretty like stressful. , you can still get one as you’re over 18.

Hi, it’s making me feel guilty and things. When should I tell them?
Should I leave it until later in the week? Or would it be best to tell her today/ tomorrow?
Hiya, I can understand how it is making me feel guilty. I would say to make yourself feel better tell them as soon as possible, make you feels physically ill if u put it off anymore plus you might put it off so much that you don’t end up telling them.
Original post by ebyrne2036
Hiya, I can understand how it is making me feel guilty. I would say to make yourself feel better tell them as soon as possible, make you feels physically ill if u put it off anymore plus you might put it off so much that you don’t end up telling them.

Hi thanks so much! I’m ill atm so being stressed at the same time is awful. I’ll try tell her either tonight or tomorrow once I feel better and in a better mood so it reduces arguments. Thanks for ur advice it means a lot :smile:
Aw no worries at all. But yeah do tell her when you’re in a better headspace for it physically and mentally. Sending hug
If you're staying at home and about to do something you know they'll all hate, it's not going to go well, is it? Like whatever stress you feel about it now will surely be worse?

I'm one to talk as got my first at 13 without telling my mum first :biggrin: But the huge difference is she/my family didn't hate them.
Reply 7
Original post by StriderHort
If you're staying at home and about to do something you know they'll all hate, it's not going to go well, is it? Like whatever stress you feel about it now will surely be worse?
I'm one to talk as got my first at 13 without telling my mum first :biggrin: But the huge difference is she/my family didn't hate them.

So r u saying don’t get it?

Omg I wish my family liked them😭😭😭😭
Reply 8
They can't stop you, but they can practically enforce consequences.
Original post by Anonymous #1
So r u saying don’t get it?
Omg I wish my family liked them😭😭😭😭

I'm saying be careful, you know it's going to be badly received, I dunno your family but if they all hate it then they're going to be talking among themselves and kinda compounding their dislike of it - and in many ways you can't go back.

I'd consider waiting till you have more independence/move out.
Yes, it's more a question of whether it's worth dealing with the aggro.
Original post by StriderHort
I'm saying be careful, you know it's going to be badly received, I dunno your family but if they all hate it then they're going to be talking among themselves and kinda compounding their dislike of it - and in many ways you can't go back.
I'd consider waiting till you have more independence/move out.

Thank you. They’re very opinionated and im used to dealing with it tbf. They’d get over it after a while I think. They’re not horrible either just really dislike tattoos. I’m sure I could try and talk to my mum about it and see what she says as it’s only a butterfly nothing major.
If not I’ll wait until I move out. Thanks for ur opinion
Update : im planning on doing it when im slightly older and more wise as im almost 20 and have anti tattoo parents! Thanks for ur help :smile:
As your are 18 and it's your body, you do not need your parents permission for anything. Do you even need to tell them? I didn't tell my Mum I got one, she noticed and wasn't happy but it was too late, now i have two.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending