The Student Room Group

Has anyone gone no contact with their family when going to university?

I'm considering going no contact with my family and friends when I start university. I was wondering if anyone has gone no contact with theirs? I consider my current family situation to be currently toxic but I am still split on if I should or shouldn't.
Reply 1
I have not but bare in mind that it is essentially impossible to survive at university without family assistance (financial). Also consider what happens if you are unemployed after university and cannot afford to move out. Who are you going to live with if that happens? You'll essentially be homeless if you do not have other friends or family members to fall back on.
Reply 2
Thank you, it's just I'm already classed as an estranged student, I am a social housing tenant rent my three bedroom house, will be working two days a week when I start university. I've got two older sisters, my oldest sister owns a house with her husband, my other sister rents a flat. We've always had a toxic relationship and I've struggled to decide if I should or shouldn't go no contact as I feel like the toxic relationship is having an impact on my mental health.
Reply 3
Yes, I'm NC. :smile:

Avoid all 3 of my surviving ancestors like the plague.
Will never speak to any of them again or agree to any meetings.
Nor provide any of them with my address, photos, contact info or any information about my life since I escaped almost 10 years ago.
My only regrets are that I could not get away sooner or take my lifesavings with me.
Reply 4
Original post by londonmyst
Yes, I'm NC. :smile:

Avoid all 3 of my surviving ancestors like the plague.
Will never speak to any of them again or agree to any meetings.
Nor provide any of them with my address, photos, contact info or any information about my life since I escaped almost 10 years ago.
My only regrets are that I could not get away sooner or take my lifesavings with me.

Wow, I'm surprised you managed to escape, I just feel trapped it's like I want to leave but deep down the reason I'm staying is that I feel like if I leave I will feel guilty for the rest of my life even though my family is extremely toxic. I don't know if scared is the right word so I'll use anxious instead. I feel anxious about what the future holds after university such as where I'd live etc.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Wow, I'm surprised you managed to escape, I just feel trapped it's like I want to leave but deep down the reason I'm staying is that I feel like if I leave I will feel guilty for the rest of my life even though my family is extremely toxic. I don't know if scared is the right word so I'll use anxious instead. I feel anxious about what the future holds after university such as where I'd live etc.

Always trust your gut instinct. :smile:
Remember that life is too short to waste your valuable time and energy on those individuals that don't deserve any of either.
Toxic waste in human form will never change for the better.
Nor add much that is positive to your life.

Are you able to continue renting your social housing property as a full time student or take in a lodger during term time?
Reply 6
Remember that life is too short to waste your valuable time and energy on those individuals that don't deserve any of either.

Are you able to continue renting your social housing property as a full time student or take in a lodger during term time?

I've been informed by my housing association I am allowed to keep my property as I have a medical condition, I am allowed a lodger, but I have to be living there too. The thing is all the family knows where I live, that's sort of debating if I should give it up and go into student accommodation or just stay there. My sister came round the other day and shouted through the letter box to let her in.
Reply 7
I've been informed by my housing association I am allowed to keep my property as I have a medical condition, I am allowed a lodger, but I have to be living there too. The thing is all the family knows where I live, that's sort of debating if I should give it up and go into student accommodation or just stay there. My sister came round the other day and shouted through the letter box to let her in.

The other idea of mine is to keep my schedule jammed pack, like uni three days a week, work 2 days a week, volunteer one day a week and have one day a week of to make it a study day so I can make sure am doing the work I needed and I will be doing any work my lectures give me in between work hours and volunteering hours.
Reply 8

File a police report that lets them know about the yelling through your letterbox.
Highlighting that the demands to enter your home are unwelcome, intimidating and will never be obeyed.

Tell the police that you are fed up of being hassled in your own home and do not want any more visits or contact attempt from your sister.
Nor visits from any other relatives she has.
The police will keep the report on file and contact your sister warning her to leave you alone, letting her know that she risks getting issued with a harassment warning if she bothers you again.
Reply 9

Fully agree with you! Our emotions and feelings matter

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending