The Student Room Group

Getting a First

Hi, my question is regarding module marks. Having come to the end of second year I have achieved an overall mark of 55.25%. With this mark, how many marks will I need in third year in order to achieve a First Class degree (big step I know) second year being 20% of the degree and final year 80%?
Thanks.
Unanswerable question.

Expect a 2:1 IF you decide to improve your work.
Assuming a first is 70% then you'd need ~74% if the third year is weighted 80% of the degree by my calculation. Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
From a purely mathematical standpoint, you'd need 74% in your third year to attain a first.
Reply 4
Original post by Scumbaggio
Unanswerable question.

Expect a 2:1 IF you decide to improve your work.

IF? I've had months to plan ahead on how I need to achieve that First so whatever SCUMBAG :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Manitude
Assuming a first is 70% then you'd need ~74% if the third year is weighted 80% of the degree by my calculation. Good luck :smile:

Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Caedus
From a purely mathematical standpoint, you'd need 74% in your third year to attain a first.

Got it, thanks! :smile:
Reply 7
You need 73.7% in your 3rd year to average a first. Good luck, it's very much possible!
Original post by Geeeb123
IF? I've had months to plan ahead on how I need to achieve that First so whatever SCUMBAG :biggrin:

It is possible and 60+ is easy to achieve but I'm just trying to introduce some reality into your life.

Your first two years are considerably easier to complete than the third, why do you think it's worth 80%?

If you only managed under 60% so far what makes you think you can beat that when the assignments are more taxing?

Again I will say a first is possible but you must put the work in.
It's not impossible I did it this year. Averaged 58 and 55 in first and second year and then got 78 final year and managed a 1:1. I had to sacrifice a lot of my social life and lived in the libary but it was definitely worth it as I have now managed to secure scholarships from my postgraduate studies.
Reply 10
Original post by Alexafc12
It's not impossible I did it this year. Averaged 58 and 55 in first and second year and then got 78 final year and managed a 1:1. I had to sacrifice a lot of my social life and lived in the libary but it was definitely worth it as I have now managed to secure scholarships from my postgraduate studies.

I'm just trying to figure out the average marks I would need for the assignments/exams etc in order to achieve a First. But I guess I should wait til I go back to uni and find out about the assignments and the weighting of each.

But that's great! Good for you :smile: It's good to hear from people who have done it. It helps :smile: I just hope I push myself enough!
Original post by Geeeb123
I'm just trying to figure out the average marks I would need for the assignments/exams etc in order to achieve a First. But I guess I should wait til I go back to uni and find out about the assignments and the weighting of each.

But that's great! Good for you :smile: It's good to hear from people who have done it. It helps :smile: I just hope I push myself enough!

It is possible and 60+ is easy to achieve but I'm just trying to introduce some reality into your life.

Your first two years are considerably easier to complete than the third, why do you think it's worth 80%?

If you only managed under 60% so far what makes you think you can beat that when the assignments are more taxing?

Again I will say a first is possible but you must put the work in.

Pessimistic minded people like you only serve to put others down. You could have said "its hard bla bla but i wish you luck" instead of sounding so negative the first time.

Anyways to OP; it CAN be done. I have done it. I probably performed worse than you because i had to resit 2 modules in my second year,, and i resat a module in my 1st year so i averaged around 50% i reckon.

Anyways by third yr i spoke to the lecturers and they said it can be done. So i planned.. it just takes a LOT of sacrifice and i mean a LOT.

Please PM me if you need any advice.. i know how hard it was for me
Original post by Alexafc12

Hey!! i did the same too, maybe scored lesser marks in my first year but we averaged around the same in 2nd yr and 3rd year, i averaged 76%.

And i scored a 1:1 .. now when it comes to post grads, im thinking of doing masters in finance because investment banks are narcissistic ego heads who prefer target and brand name universities. I didnt do my undergrad at a brand name but im planning on doing my post grad at a brand name. Looking at the fees they are ridiculously expensive : 11k - 31k range. So how did you get funding/scholarship???

Pm me if you want thanks
Original post by flygirl64
Pessimistic minded people like you only serve to put others down. You could have said "its hard bla bla but i wish you luck" instead of sounding so negative the first time.

Anyways to OP; it CAN be done. I have done it. I probably performed worse than you because i had to resit 2 modules in my second year,, and i resat a module in my 1st year so i averaged around 50% i reckon.

Anyways by third yr i spoke to the lecturers and they said it can be done. So i planned.. it just takes a LOT of sacrifice and i mean a LOT.

Please PM me if you need any advice.. i know how hard it was for me

No use telling him it can easily be done, that will only demotivate him.

I never said it can EASILY be done, but i know it CAN be donee; i am living proof.

In my case at least, I think it's better to say it can be done. Otherwise if it can't, why would you be bothered to do it? That's how I feel when I get told I can't do something. Why would you waste your time doing something that can't be done?
Original post by janicee
In my case at least, I think it's better to say it can be done. Otherwise if it can't, why would you be bothered to do it? That's how I feel when I get told I can't do something. Why would you waste your time doing something that can't be done?

I get you!

I'm the opposite though, I need to be told I'l never be able to do it.

What I mean is that the OP should not get complacent.

I WAS NOT trying to put him down or be a buzzkill, I was a bit drunk at the time but what I wanted to communicate was the need to be proactive.

OP you probably can do it but don't procrastinate.
I get you!

I'm the opposite though, I need to be told I'l never be able to do it.

What I mean is that the OP should not get complacent.

I WAS NOT trying to put him down or be a buzzkill, I was a bit drunk at the time but what I wanted to communicate was the need to be proactive.

OP you probably can do it but don't procrastinate.

That's understandable. I don't see how you can do that though. I get really sad when I'm told I can't do something :tongue: That's when I give up.
I guess it works the opposite way for you then? If someone says you can do it do you feel like you can't live up to their expectations? Maybe swap though xD If someone tells me I can do it I get worried I can't and if someone tells me I can't I believe I can't. Typical!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending