The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 1
Depends! From http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/about/p4.shtml :
If you're studying full time at another institution, you must get written permission from its principal to study with us.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Plus "You may not take courses that amount to more than 120 points at any one time" - this would include courses at other institutions.
Reply 3
Thanks
Reply 4
I don't like it how you said 'real university'. The OU is a real university! It just doesn't have a campus (unless you are a business student), and therefore isn't traditional.
I agree with girl afraid - the OU is a "real university"
Reply 6
I think you're just nitpicking. :p:
Reply 7
I didn't know how else to put it, stop overreacting.
Reply 8
I agree it is a real uni, but does NUS class the OU as a uni???
Yes, they do:smile:
Reply 10
kirstinx
Is it possible whilst doing a degree at a real uni to do modules from the Open University?

Yes. Nobody is going to know.
Reply 11
I'm glad someone asked this question, as I really wanted to find out if it was possible. I would love to study Infectious Diseases, should I go and apply?
phixit
I agree it is a real uni, but does NUS class the OU as a uni???

Yes. Since September last year OU students have been able to get NUS membership.
LePinkPanther - be careful if you study on-line - you might get a virus......

Sorry :-)
Reply 14
kirstinx
Is it possible whilst doing a degree at a real uni to do modules from the Open University?

Yep it is actually possible as the American Universtiy in London's degrees are regonised under both the American system and under British OU system.
Reply 15
i didnt want to start a new thread just for this 1 little question so here goes:

a mate of mine says he dosnt pay for prescriptions and also has free dental care because hes a student does this apply for full time OU students??:confused:
phixit
i didnt want to start a new thread just for this 1 little question so here goes:

a mate of mine says he dosnt pay for prescriptions and also has free dental care because hes a student does this apply for full time OU students??:confused:

Only if you are aged 18 or under, on certain benefits or on extremely low income.

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23069022/
Reply 17
is it possible, completing a BSc degree from the Open Uni, apply to MSc course in traditional university? and is there transfer opportunities between ‘Open’ and ‘traditional’ uni?
Vika.L
is it possible, completing a BSc degree from the Open Uni, apply to MSc course in traditional university? and is there transfer opportunities between ‘Open’ and ‘traditional’ uni?

Yes on both counts, I think. I've heard of OU students both studying Masters courses at and transferring to traditional unis.
Reply 19
i asked my tutor at soton the same thing, and he thinks so, though i need to see student services about it sometime to get it checked etc.

i think hes right, however therell be a limit to the amount that you can transfer.

Latest