The Student Room Group
University of York
York

History at York

Hi there,
I am currently in the process of sorting out my (re)application to Universities for History, and am very interested in applying to York, but have a few questions for York Historians.

My first and main question is on American History - I looked at the course specifications and there wasn't really any mention on it. Now does this mean that looking at American History, which I have mentioned in my P.S. is impossible? i.e. are there certain areas of the course where there is enough breadth to look at the History of the U.S.A. in say, the 1960s?

Your replies would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
I believe it is possible to do courses on American History as optional modules, but York is bigger on European History. The further through your course you are, the more choice you have, but it isn't York's speciality, and you probably wouldn't be able to do it until 2nd or maybe even 3rd year.

If you are only interested in American History, York isn't the place for you. However, don't discount York, try to have an open mind to all periods and areas. The course at York is amazing and it's well worth putting down. It also has the ability to change your ideas about what you're interested in - when I started I thought I was only interested in modern political history, but my second year is focussing on medieval religious history.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply - The York course does look really great, and of course I do not want to limit myself to just US History (I plan to look at as much as possible), but, I am slightly concerned that on my P.S. the only area of History I talk about is U.S. History (i.e. I talk about History all over my P.S. but the only specific area I talk about having an interest in is U.S. History)!
Reply 3
Ossie1701
Thanks for the reply - The York course does look really great, and of course I do not want to limit myself to just US History (I plan to look at as much as possible), but, I am slightly concerned that on my P.S. the only area of History I talk about is U.S. History (i.e. I talk about History all over my P.S. but the only specific area I talk about having an interest in is U.S. History)!

I doubt they'll hold that against you, because you're simply talking about an area of history you're passionate about. That's something I'd have thought they look out for - it probably doesn't matter that it's US History because you're still displaying an interest in the subject and many people go on to study areas they wouldn't even have thought of before uni.

Latest