The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I know these products are usually prescribed to the elderly or who have a serious illness that causes them to have a poor appetite. But this forum is called 'the student room' i take from that alot of students dont have alot of money. So if someone is struggling to eat a balanced diet with enough fats, proteins and other vital minerals due to lack of funds then personally, I think would benefit from these nutritional shakes that are favoured by doctors for consumption. They are expensive I agree, But I am guessing you people on here who can afford to buy your own protein shakes and vitamins etc. You probably work out and already eat a balanced diet.
I can relate because I suffer from terrible back pain from heavy trauma to my back and the pelvic region, also i have a hiatus hernia which causes me awful heartburn and indigestion, over the years this has suppressed my appetite and at 27 years old ive never been malnourished until last year and my stomach feels like it's shrunk to the size of an orange. Ive worked as a mechanical engineer since i left school, that's 11 years and this year I am on long term sick because I am not strong enough to stand on my feet all day. I am currently being prescribed fortisip milkshakes and folic acid and purchasing magnesium tablets. I dont think that its that shocking that you could get prescribed protein drinks. I also get the powered milkshakes in sachets and Im doing hydro therapy and physiotherapy through the NHS and i was discharged from the rheumatology clinic long ago after MRI scans confirmed the problem with my back. Imagine the cost to the NHS there. Leave off the guy and hammer me instead keyboard warriors and let the poor guy have his prescription milkshakes.
I know these products are usually prescribed to the elderly or who have a serious illness that causes them to have a poor appetite. But this forum is called 'the student room' i take from that alot of students dont have alot of money. So if someone is struggling to eat a balanced diet with enough fats, proteins and other vital minerals due to lack of funds then personally, I think would benefit from these nutritional shakes that are favoured by doctors for consumption. They are expensive I agree, But I am guessing you people on here who can afford to buy your own protein shakes and vitamins etc. You probably work out and already eat a balanced diet.

I can relate because I suffer from terrible back pain from heavy trauma to my back and the pelvic region, also i have a hiatus hernia which causes me awful heartburn and indigestion, over the years this has suppressed my appetite and at 27 years old ive never been malnourished until last year and my stomach feels like it's shrunk to the size of an orange. Ive worked as a mechanical engineer since i left school, that's 11 years and this year I am on long term sick because I am not strong enough to stand on my feet all day. I am currently being prescribed fortisip milkshakes and folic acid and purchasing magnesium tablets. I dont think that its that shocking that you could get prescribed protein drinks. I also get the powered milkshakes in sachets and Im doing hydro therapy and physiotherapy through the NHS and i was discharged from the rheumatology clinic long ago after MRI scans confirmed the problem with my back. Imagine the cost to the NHS there. Leave off the guy and hammer me instead keyboard warriors and let the poor guy have his prescription milkshakes.
I'm closing this thread cos it's old and that gets confusing. If anybody wants to discuss something similar please feel free to post a new thread. :smile:

Latest