The Student Room Group

Is Being gay Bad in This Day and Age?

Scroll to see replies

I think it all depends on where you come from. In Scotland nowadays, no one really bats an eye lid if someone is gay now. Yeah you might get some nasty remarks from some people but on the whole, no one really cares.We live and let live pretty much. If you come from a country such as in the middle east, then being gay in their eyes is ultimately a very bad thing.

In my eyes, there's nothing wrong whatsoever being gay but other people will think differently.
Original post by Eveiebaby
Well it still isn't accepting trans women as women though isn't it if put bluntly. The whole point of them transitioning is that they ARE women, not this third in-between gender(although third gender also exists in a different capacity).
Tolerating isn't the same as accepting although of course it's better than being outwardly hostile and threatening them.

I guess it poses the question of covert discrimination. Does it still matter if you don't say anything but your actions speak for you?

Anyway - I'm not trans and I realise I'm being quite idealistic, but once you think about why people's preferences are the way they are, there's usually some prejudices underneath there.

But this is my sticking point. I don't want to be judged for who I do and don't want to sleep with
Original post by TheAnusFiles
But this is my sticking point. I don't want to be judged for who I do and don't want to sleep with

Well that's kind of tough. Some people will, some people won't. Just like some people will be racist, some people will be homophobic, some people will still continue to have every kind of ism.

There's no way to make everyone completely happy as at the end of the day, our preferences and habits do tend to have a knock on effect on others in society. We don't live in a bubble unfortunately.

I do think it is important to realise that some groups get more bull than others though. I'm not perfect but I try not to add to that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Eveiebaby
Well that's kind of tough. Some people will, some people won't. Just like some people will be racist, some people will be homophobic, some people will still continue to have every kind of ism.

There's no way to make everyone completely happy as at the end of the day, our preferences and habits do tend to have a knock on effect on others in society. We don't live in a bubble unfortunately.

I do think it is important to realise that some groups get more bull than others though. I'm not perfect but I try not to add to that.

But if there was a woman who said she didn't want to have sex with white men, I wouldn't hold it against her at all, so long as she was still respectful in everyday life
Original post by TheAnusFiles
But if there was a woman who said she didn't want to have sex with white men, I wouldn't hold it against her at all, so long as she was still respectful in everyday life

Yeah, good for you. I wan't even saying that it would even necessarily cause offence but as a white male, I couldnt see that being a major issue for you because your general eligible dating pool is likely to be a lot larger than someone who might be trans.

Maybe this hypothetical trans person doesn't care either. People are individuals at the end of the day. I'm just saying how I could empathise by putting myself in their shoes how rejection might affect them disproportionately.
(edited 9 years ago)
No. Anyone who says so clearly needs to get their head out of their preferred holy book and stop being an intolerant ****. There is no logical argument for homophobic attitudes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending