The Student Room Group

A2 English Language Investigation Ideas?

Hi, I'm kind of stuck for ideas for my investigation. I really wanted to do something either with The Vampire Diaries, or with Divergent, as they are things I love so I feel I would put more effort into them. Any help please???
Original post by amberrosecaley
Hi, I'm kind of stuck for ideas for my investigation. I really wanted to do something either with The Vampire Diaries, or with Divergent, as they are things I love so I feel I would put more effort into them. Any help please???

Moving this to the English section for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Hi! First of all, I'd just like to say that doing your lang investigation on novels is a challenge because of the sheer length - you're going to have to pick extracts very carefully; and make sure you include plenty of context. I haven't read the book series you have mentioned but find a common theme. For example, I looked at 3 16th century plays and compared language in reference to women/how women's language diverged from men's. Maybe you could look into gender or something like that - remember, the focus is an aspect of language, NOT just 'language in fiction novels'. One of the early problems I faced was having very general question: make sure you're being specific so you can keep focused on your question and give some solid evidence rather than "both novels use adjectives..." - what is that saying about sociolinguistic theory or whatever? What does it actually say about language in context?
Original post by Changing Skies
Moving this to the English section for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:
Original post by CarysMoo
Hi! First of all, I'd just like to say that doing your lang investigation on novels is a challenge because of the sheer length - you're going to have to pick extracts very carefully; and make sure you include plenty of context. I haven't read the book series you have mentioned but find a common theme. For example, I looked at 3 16th century plays and compared language in reference to women/how women's language diverged from men's. Maybe you could look into gender or something like that - remember, the focus is an aspect of language, NOT just 'language in fiction novels'. One of the early problems I faced was having very general question: make sure you're being specific so you can keep focused on your question and give some solid evidence rather than "both novels use adjectives..." - what is that saying about sociolinguistic theory or whatever? What does it actually say about language in context?

Thank you for your reply! Could I just look at one book or do I need to compare/contrast it against something else? For example if I just did The Vampire Diaries, could I just look at the relationship between the two brothers and the language they use to try and asssert power over eachother, or would I need to then compare this to another book with siblings?
Reply 5
Thank you for your reply! Could I just look at one book or do I need to compare/contrast it against something else? For example if I just did The Vampire Diaries, could I just look at the relationship between the two brothers and the language they use to try and asssert power over eachother, or would I need to then compare this to another book with siblings?

You need to do at least two texts - I did three/four, because the comparison is part of the mark scheme if I remember correctly - to fully explore something you need to compare it to something else. You wouldn't need to find siblings again necessarily, maybe compare power in siblings with another relationship in literature? That could be really interesting and you can slot lots of theory in there!
Original post by CarysMoo
You need to do at least two texts - I did three/four, because the comparison is part of the mark scheme if I remember correctly - to fully explore something you need to compare it to something else. You wouldn't need to find siblings again necessarily, maybe compare power in siblings with another relationship in literature? That could be really interesting and you can slot lots of theory in there!

You have been so helpful thank you! :smile:
Reply 7
You have been so helpful thank you! :smile:

You're welcome. If you have any other questions, just ask! English Language is my "thing" and I achieved 100% for this coursework. :smile:
Reply 8
Hi I am struggling to think of my topic, originally wanted to look at how songs in childrens tv programmes helped to develop langauge, but this wont work as the songs are too short to annalyse properly. Any other ideas would be much appreciated :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending