The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Freshers week at Sussex uni for people who aren't big drinkers?

Just wondering what it's like for people who don't actually drink that much and if there's anyone else that's worried about being isolated because of this?

Scroll to see replies

eh , my firm is ucl but my insurance is sussex - you'll find people that aren't big drinkers i'm sure. plus , you can always go and then not drink like everyone else.

i personally won't be drinking in freshers week no matter where i go because you're essentially with a ton of people you don't know... why would you want to be paralytic when no one is going to look after you? if you don't want to drink , don't , but try to get involved still :smile:
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by BethanyP_x
Just wondering what it's like for people who don't actually drink that much and if there's anyone else that's worried about being isolated because of this?

Why don't you drink?
You need to drink anyways when you work. So why not?
I don't drink and I had a great time. I'm going to be a first year again this year and might go to some fresher's events again.
Original post by Wilsoncw1997
Why don't you drink?

No-one needs to drink alcohol. It's never a necessity. I'd say if it was for you then you have a problem.
Reply 5
Original post by Wilsoncw1997
Why don't you drink?

No particular reason, just never really been in to it or been in the situation where i felt comfortable to do so for fear i'd be abandoned by friends haha :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I don't drink and I had a great time. I'm going to be a first year again this year and might go to some fresher's events again.

Good to know i'm not the only one that thinks you can have a good time without a drink! :smile:
Original post by BethanyP_x
Good to know i'm not the only one that thinks you can have a good time without a drink! :smile:

There are loads of people who don't drink. And loads more that won't mind that you don't.
Hey!
I don't drink either and I'm a little worried about freshers week. I'm just hoping I can find other people who are similar!
A great deal of utter rubbish is talked about Freshers Weeks and usually by people who aren't actually at University.

If you believe all the silly stories it must seem like a week long Ibiza Party Night, with every form of debauchery thrown in. Its actually far, far tamer than this. Yes, there are people who get off their faces on every substance possible and think thats grown-up, but the majority of people aren't like that. Freshers Week isnt all about 'getting drunk' anyway. Most of the week is about introducing you to Uni life and the practicalities of meeting tutors, intro lectures, sessions on IT provision and 'how to use the Library' etc. And there are heaps of social things to do that dont have alcohol as a focus - think of all the overseas students who don't drink at all - and Unis are careful not to promote the 'getting wasted is clever' image and make sure there are general 'fun' things for everyone to do.

Even if you aren't a drinker - go to the main Freshers Ball. Its a laugh, and you can drink coke all evening and no-one will even notice. Join up with a few other like minded (shy) people you meet in the first few days and go together. Leave early if you want to - but go.

Uni is about a great deal more than this first week - its three years, and probably the most fun three years of your life. Enjoy.
Reply 10
Original post by breamster917
Hey!
I don't drink either and I'm a little worried about freshers week. I'm just hoping I can find other people who are similar!

I'm beyond worried! Me too! what are you studying? :smile:
I'll have a very weak drink or two and that'll be enough for me to relax just because i'm such a lightweight now because i never drink haha :smile: I'm studying Law :smile: you?
Have you done your accommodation application? :smile:
Reply 12
I'll have a very weak drink or two and that'll be enough for me to relax just because i'm such a lightweight now because i never drink haha :smile: I'm studying Law :smile: you?
Have you done your accommodation application? :smile:

Haha same, that'll be interesting i bet! you must be clever then! I'm studying Sociology and Criminology, quite worried about getting the grades though! think i messed up a few exams :/ yeah i have, i've applied for Northfield as my first choice, what about you? :smile:
I'm really worried about my grades! not sure if i've got the grades I need :frown:
Northfield is my first choice as well! then lewes court phase 2 :smile:
Reply 14
I'm really worried about my grades! not sure if i've got the grades I need :frown:
Northfield is my first choice as well! then lewes court phase 2 :smile:

Me either, i'm sure you have done a lot better than you think though :smile: we might both end up at Northfield then! do you know if we get allocated our accommodation straight after results?
Haha thankyou, you too!
I think so! Maybe a week or so after?
Haha thankyou, you too!

I think it takes a couple of weeks to send out accommodation but I can't remember - that was three years ago for me.
Reply 17
Haha thankyou, you too!

Probably, two weeks to go now! :/
i'm not a big drinker plus not living in halls, hoping i can still enjoy freshers
Reply 19
Original post by alexswartz
i'm not a big drinker plus not living in halls, hoping i can still enjoy freshers

I'm sure you will :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending