The Student Room Group

Oxford girl is crowdfunding her Masters - 'posh brat', or sign of the times?

This is interesting. Emily-Rose Eastop, an Oxford graduate in Human Sciences, is crowfunding the £26,000 she needs to undertake a Masters in Anthropology at the university.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-business/10995159/Oxford-university-degree-crowdfunding-project-the-posh-brat-hits-back.html

She's had a lot of criticism, including people calling her a 'posh brat' and she's also had lots of donations, including, rather amazingly, £1000 from Sir Simon Rattle! She also runs a blog.
http://hatepseudoscience.com/2014/06/28/life-is-short/

I quite like this story, but it does open up the rather mad idea that people could start competing for support through college in a sort of X-Factor way, comparing video appeals and giving to those students deemed most worthy of support. In a way that might be nice - I can imagine people continuing to follow the story of their chosen student and perhaps funding their first internship and who knows, their first house. :lol: Seriously, it's a bit depressing that it has come to this. It's almost like one of those charity appeals, sponsor a child in the third world.

UPDATE Emily-Rose has now achieved her goal and is in fact overfunded. Her target was £26,307 and her Hubbub has so far raised £26,581. Pretty amazing really.
https://hubbub.net/p/get-ER-to-oxford/
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think it's innovative and commendable. If she can market herself, why not?
she's hit the target..... i honestly don't know why anyone would donate to this cause, but hey feel free if you want to donate:battle:
I'll give her credit where it's due. It's not as if she's crowdfunding a boob job or something (which seems to be a popular exercise by the amount of these boob job donation sites which are about nowadays :lolwut:).

I say good on her.
Reply 4
Why not if she willing to give up he privacy

There is a huge multi billion dollar market of virgin guys willing to spend money on gifts or used underwear basically anything to do with moderately attractive women.
Original post by James222
Why not if she willing to give up he privacy

There is a huge multi billion dollar market of virgin guys willing to spend money on gifts or used underwear basically anything to do with moderately attractive women.

Oh God. You think all those top people who are giving her funds just basically fancy her? Yeah, that must be the reason. It couldn't be because they admired her for pushing herself forwards with it and for making good arguments and an interesting and novel approach? Nah. None of that. It must be entirely down to her looks.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Oh God. You think all those top people who are giving her funds just basically fancy her? Yeah, that must be the reason. It couldn't be because they admired her for pushing herself forwards with it and for making good arguments and an interesting and novel approach? Nah. None of that. It must be entirely down to her looks.

An ugly man wouldn't have a hope of raising as much. You know that.
I wonder if it's some kind of experiment.

But to be honest i think it's pretty cool, she managed to get money that she needed for her course.
Reply 8

You'd be surprised. Attractive women can accumulate wealth very easily online even if they offer nothing in return. Lots of very sad guys out there.

rofl

why the **** did they remove the neg button
going to start a kickstarter so ppl can fund my degree

#yolo

EDIT: Just had a thought. Instead of people making videos, contesting with other students to get donations for degrees, why not host some hunger games for the students to contest in?!
(edited 9 years ago)

not the famous people but the majority of donations will come from the average joe who at some level will be thinking about her looks 110%

no one cares about her pushing herself, its not even like the degree is some vital medical/engineering field and she plans to go to her war torn homeland and rebuild it.
Reply 12

It's so hot watching her video with the sound off, especially when you know intuitively she's begging for money. I'm almost convinced to send her fifty quid.

I have to admit, I'd rather donate to her than some ugly guy with the charisma of a potato. Unfortunately, people can be quite superficial and guys can be suckers for a pretty girl with some ambition.
Well, this is a sign of how life on TSR operates. I had hoped people would want to talk about the idea of crowdfunding college fees. Instead it has quickly degenerated into a debate about her looks.

If only a guy had come forward as the first course crowdfunder. Then the TSR crowd would be full of praise for his innovativeness and ambition.
Why not?
Well, this is a sign of how life on TSR operates. I had hoped people would want to talk about the idea of crowdfunding college fees. Instead it has quickly degenerated into a debate about her looks.

If only a guy had come forward as the first course crowdfunder. Then the TSR crowd would be full of praise for his innovativeness and ambition.

Her looks are crucial to the success of her fundraising.

If a man did it, I'd still find it pretty pathetic.
Why doesn't she sell the piano that's in the background EH

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lot of naivety in your post

Before i even came in, I knew that if she's getting donations she'd be somewhat pretty.
she's hot, i'll chuck her a tenner :smile:

Latest