The Student Room Group

Post like a Daily Mail reader.

Scroll to see replies

Single mother with 13 children denied benefits while father is fighting in Afghanistan.
Reply 101
Original post by m0zey
op as far as I am concerned the damage has been done and frankly your edit just doesn't cut the mustard.

M0zey, as far as I am concerned, taking into account the horrendous comments you made in your previous post, I cannot really say I am massively bothered that you are offended. If I am a bad human, then god knows what you are. I pray for your children/future children.
Original post by anonymouspie227
I'm on my phone, so it's rather awkward to reply. But here goes.
I don't pretend to know a lot about the law and newspapers, but what I do know, is there have been false stories published by the mail about certain people/ used to scaremonger etc.

Here's one about JK Rowling and DM paying
damages

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27312080

Here's a link from the guardian showing that the mail made up a story about a mass of immigrants coming into the country.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2014/mar/17/dailymail-pcc

Here's another fake story about a transgender teen

http://www.transadvocate.com/uks-daily-mail-removes-false-trans-school-harassment-story_n_10316.htm

I'm sure there's more. But you can search them up.
I wasn't entirely sure on your point, but I think you were trying to suggest that dm doesn't make things up...
I read the Daily Mail at times and i find some articles interesting but I take others with a pinch of salt because some of the stuff is a bit much.

People are entitled to have an opinion about the Daily Mail. It doesn't make them snobby or entitled.

Yes because other newspapers never do this do they? When you single out the Daily Mail as if its some sort of printed anti Christ that will turn you into a right wing Nazi the moment you purchase it then yes people have a right to call you out on misguided nonsense.

All papers are guilty of this and some have done far worse than the Daily Mail.

What about this vile rag? Oh wait doesn't suit the agenda to bash The Sun because they're not the political opposition. You single out the Daily Mail purely because they are the political opposition to your moral views and political views and therefore don't want them to have a say. The vast majority of Daily Mail commenters don't type in the borderline idiotic text speak portrayed on here. They do often have extremist views but if you jump onto the websites of lefty newspapers you'll get people advocating communism and ardent Trotskyists, Stalinists and Marxists giving their viewpoints.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4535743/23-years-after-Hillsborough-the-real-truth.html

http://m.bbc.com/news/uk-25950599

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/law-report-excessive-libel-damages-cut-rantzen-v-mirror-group-newspapers-and-others-court-of-appeal-lord-justice-neill-lord-justice-staughton-and-lord-justice-roch-1452545.html

http://www.rpc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_flexicontent&view=items&cid=56:latest-news&id=814:mccann-libel-case-highlights-that-newspapers-may-be-called-on-to-prove-truth-of-allegations-they-report-and-the-dangers-of-repeating-allegations&Itemid=92

Please don't paint the Daily Mail as if its any worse or alone in what it does. It is not. It is part of a make up of sensationalist papers that are primarily there to be sold to the public and make money.

Why aren't you all bashing these papers? We all know the answer. Its become almost fashionable to attack the Daily Mail and it's readership. Well guess what? Some people arentcas privileged as the stuck up middle class ***** on here with a chip on their shoulder and actually do struggle, do feel the effects of uncontrolled immigration, do think political correctness has gone too far to the point its stifled free speech (a point the intolerant lefties on here are actually validating) and do think in a time when income inequality is on the rise in many EU countries that they'll struggle to make ends meet. But let's not worry about them, they should have been born into a privileged middle class family with a hard working mother and father who provided for them and helped them learn correct English and grammar, possibly by sending their privileged arse to a private school. Shame on them for being born into the wrong family and going to a **** state school where teachers are oppressed by a rigid national curriculum put in place by the very privileged ***** like Gove and Morgan in the first place who then get political backing by the very rags you fail to condemn because they're not the Daily Mail.

So please, you and the other intolerant lefties on here who so ardently despise the Daily Mail, enlighten people.....you're clearly a lot more educated than those Daily Mail readers and commenters so its about time you showed just how educated you are.

The same Daily Mail bashers are often the same fools voting Labour, you know that party that wouldn't know how to run an economic surplus consistently even if they were slapped in the face with LSE reading material. What a wealth of education you must need to run an economic deficit on a continual basis. I wish I was that enlightened not only to support a party that can't comprehend basic maths/economics/business but actually encourage and vote for these idiotic policies.

The same highly educated Daily Mail bashers that claim border control and controlled immigration equates to racism. Its highly obvious a lot of those people aren't scientists because your logical understanding clearly isn't very good. By your logic Australia, Canada and guess what? Nearly every other country on the bloody planet outside of the EU is racist. Maybe the snobby educated europhiles wjp clearly know better can go tell America, Canada or Australia they're racist......but again you don't because that doesn't suit the agenda of Daily Mail bashers now does it.

Next time you go ahead bashing Daily Mail readers and commenters as if they're some uneducated breed who do not deserve respect, remember your beliefs are and can be subject to immense scrutiny and you aren't as actually as clever or as enlightened as you think.

Maybe if the intolerant Daily Mail bashers on here actually withdrew their head from their own privileged ********s for a moment they'd actually be able to see the world for what it actually is, the problems people actually face and how reality is not the same as what a bunch of stats compiled by the ONS say.

Some of the people these days are as brainwashed as the fascists were during the days of the Nazis just to another extreme.
Reply 103
Original post by anonymouspie227
I'm on my phone, so it's rather awkward to reply. But here goes.
I don't pretend to know a lot about the law and newspapers, but what I do know, is there have been false stories published by the mail about certain people/ used to scaremonger etc.

Here's one about JK Rowling and DM paying
damages

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27312080

Here's a link from the guardian showing that the mail made up a story about a mass of immigrants coming into the country.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2014/mar/17/dailymail-pcc

Here's another fake story about a transgender teen

http://www.transadvocate.com/uks-daily-mail-removes-false-trans-school-harassment-story_n_10316.htm

I'm sure there's more. But you can search them up.
I wasn't entirely sure on your point, but I think you were trying to suggest that dm doesn't make things up...
I read the Daily Mail at times and i find some articles interesting but I take others with a pinch of salt because some of the stuff is a bit much.

People are entitled to have an opinion about the Daily Mail. It doesn't make them snobby or entitled.

Your DP makes this response all the more sassy. I like it :biggrin:
Why on earth did you write an essay?
I posted about the Daily Mail because this is a thread about the DM.
If you want to bitch about other papers then perhaps create a thread on them?
Edit:
You took a single part of my post and replied to it, trying to suggest dm don't lie. I provided a response. Then you made it all political and about class. Where does this come from?
I never suggested that DM readers (me included) are illiterate or dumb? Nor did I suggest they were all racist.
And just because I may have different political beliefs doesn't make me somehow inferior, i think that's what you're even trying to emphasise with your post defending the DM.

But this is the internet and people won't all have the same opinions but that doesn't make them dumb, or entitled etc. Very aggressive reply.
Original post by Sanctimonious
Yes because other newspapers never do this do they? When you single out the Daily Mail as if its some sort of printed anti Christ that will turn you into a right wing Nazi the moment you purchase it then yes people have a right to call you out on misguided nonsense.

What about this vile rag? Oh wait doesn't suit the agenda to bash The Sun because they're not the political opposition. You single out the Daily Mail purely because they are the political opposition to your moral views and political views and therefore don't want them to have a say. The vast majority of Daily Mail commenters don't type in the borderline idiotic text speak portrayed on here. They do often have extremist views but if you jump onto the websites of lefty newspapers you'll get people advocating communism and ardent Trotskyists, Stalinists and Marxists giving their viewpoints.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4535743/23-years-after-Hillsborough-the-real-truth.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/law-report-excessive-libel-damages-cut-rantzen-v-mirror-group-newspapers-and-others-court-of-appeal-lord-justice-neill-lord-justice-staughton-and-lord-justice-roch-1452545.html

http://www.rpc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_flexicontent&view=items&cid=56:latest-news&id=814:mccann-libel-case-highlights-that-newspapers-may-be-called-on-to-prove-truth-of-allegations-they-report-and-the-dangers-of-repeating-allegations&Itemid=92

Please don't paint the Daily Mail as if its any worse or alone in what it does. It is not. It is part of a make up of sensationalist papers that are primarily there to be sold to the public and make money.

Why aren't you all bashing these papers? We all know the answer. Its become almost fashionable to attack the Daily Mail and it's readership. Well guess what? Some people arentcas privileged as the stuck up middle class ***** on here with a chip on their shoulder and actually do struggle, do feel the effects of uncontrolled immigration, do think political correctness has gone too far to the point its stifled free speech (a point the intolerant lefties on here are actually validating) and do think in a time when income inequality is on the rise in many EU countries that they'll struggle to make ends meet. But let's not worry about them, they should have been born into a privileged middle class family with a hard working mother and father who provided for them and helped them learn correct English and grammar, possibly by sending their privileged arse to a private school. Shame on them for being born into the wrong family and going to a **** state school where teachers are oppressed by a rigid national curriculum put in place by the very privileged ***** like Gove and Morgan in the first place who then get political backing by the very rags you fail to condemn because they're not the Daily Mail.

So please, you and the other intolerant lefties on here who so ardently despise the Daily Mail, enlighten people.....you're clearly a lot more educated than those Daily Mail readers and commenters so its about time you showed just how educated you are.

The same Daily Mail bashers are often the same fools voting Labour, you know that party that wouldn't know how to run an economic surplus consistently even if they were slapped in the face with LSE reading material. What a wealth of education you must need to run an economic deficit on a continual basis. I wish I was that enlightened not only to support a party that can't comprehend basic maths/economics/business but actually encourage and vote for these idiotic policies.

The same highly educated Daily Mail bashers that claim border control and controlled immigration equates to racism. Its highly obvious a lot of those people aren't scientists because your logical understanding clearly isn't very good. By your logic Australia, Canada and guess what? Nearly every other country on the bloody planet outside of the EU is racist. Maybe the snobby educated europhiles wjp clearly know better can go tell America, Canada or Australia they're racist......but again you don't because that doesn't suit the agenda of Daily Mail bashers now does it.

Next time you go ahead bashing Daily Mail readers and commenters as if they're some uneducated breed who do not deserve respect, remember your beliefs are and can be subject to immense scrutiny and you aren't as actually as clever or as enlightened as you think.

Maybe if the intolerant Daily Mail bashers on here actually withdrew their head from their own privileged ********s for a moment they'd actually be able to see the world for what it actually is, the problems people actually face and how reality is not the same as what a bunch of stats compiled by the ONS say.

Some of the people these days are as brainwashed as the fascists were during the days of the Nazis just to another extreme.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 105

You talk of generalisations and stereotypes, please re-read your paragraph, in particular the part outlining how all TSR users are middle class and apparently do not know the struggles of real life. I am actually working class, and my mother has never been in the most amazingly well paid jobs. We have enough for the essentials of life but in no way have I ever experienced anything but state schools. You need to practice what you preach when it comes to stereotypes, you are just as guilty. The Daily Mail is not the answer to any of the issues you just outlined. It has, and always will be a vile newspaper which seeks to take us back into the dark ages and remove any form of equality. And no, other newspapers are not any better, in fact they are all negative in certain aspects, but the DM is a prime example of media which promotes the very worst parts of life: Racism, obsessions with the perfect figure and look, the moral panic over Islam, oppression of minorities, need I continue? I do empathise with your struggle, but stop with the automatic assumption that all those who oppose the DM are "stuck up middle class"
Original post by sphereix96
You talk of generalisations and stereotypes, please re-read your paragraph, in particular the part outlining how all TSR users are middle class and apparently do not know the struggles of real life. I am actually working class, and my mother has never been in the most amazingly well paid jobs. We have enough for the essentials of life but in no way have I ever experienced anything but state schools. You need to practice what you preach when it comes to stereotypes, you are just as guilty. The Daily Mail is not the answer to any of the issues you just outlined. It has, and always will be a vile newspaper which seeks to take us back into the dark ages and remove any form of equality. And no, other newspapers are not any better, in fact they are all negative in certain aspects, but the DM is a prime example of media which promotes the very worst parts of life: Racism, obsessions with the perfect figure and look, the moral panic over Islam, oppression of minorities, need I continue? I do empathise with your struggle, but stop with the automatic assumption that all those who oppose the DM are "stuck up middle class"

Hilarious isn't it? Don't like it done back to you but more than happy to do it back. Point proven. Typical and expected.
ITT - sheep hating on the Daily Mail just to be part of the hipster douche crowd
Reply 108
Hilarious isn't it? Don't like it done back to you but more than happy to do it back. Point proven. Typical and expected.

So in essence, your returning argument is that, purely because you have done something to me which I have supposedly done to you, hypocrisy is justified?
Original post by ExMus
What's wrong with guardian?
Old school commies, all of them.
English rose turns into a Moslem after accidentally eating halal meat.
"British Jihadi plots to bomb Buckingham Palace while his mother and 19 siblings claim 500k in benefits"

Where?!
'Common Cold is now lethal'

My next-door neighbour is a GP and said that when you get sweeping, sensationalist headlines (normally in the Daily Mail - otherwise known as the Daily Fail) you can bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow morning's surgery will be spammed with people asking about this headline. A lot of the time the science behind it is really loose anyway.
WWTADT (what would thatcher and Diana think)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by meenu89
Where?!

I would give you a rep but no.

Quick Reply

Latest