The Student Room Group

Are you happy with Northern Ireland being in the UK

Are you happy with Northern Ireland being in the UK, I've grown up in Northern Ireland and I am a member of the generation they call the peace generation, I was born at the end of the troubles in Enniskillen Co Fermanagh and raised in Omagh Co Tyrone like most people my age from Omagh! I was lucky on the day of the bombing in Omagh in 1998 as we were meant to be going into town, I was born in a Catholic family who had been affected badly at times during the troubles and before them, I do have Protestants in my family and friends etc too, so luckily that religious divide isn't as big anymore! Now my question for other UK Citizens and citizens of other countries, is that are you happy with Northern Ireland being a part of the UK

Scroll to see replies

No. Give my ancestors their land back!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Should be a co-administered territory between the UK and the Republic.
Reply 3
I was a great supporter of N.Ireland being a part of the UK, Then I grew up, learnt leprechauns aren't real and realised the UK had basically been conned.

:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
I don't really care. They are still British in my eyes. Just with a funny accent.
Reply 5
Yes.
Original post by meenu89
Yes.

and the falklands ?
No.
Reply 8
Original post by TommyNI
Are you happy with Northern Ireland being in the UK, I've grown up in Northern Ireland and I am a member of the generation they call the peace generation, I was born at the end of the troubles in Enniskillen Co Fermanagh and raised in Omagh Co Tyrone like most people my age from Omagh! I was lucky on the day of the bombing in Omagh in 1998 as we were meant to be going into town, I was born in a Catholic family who had been affected badly at times during the troubles and before them, I do have Protestants in my family and friends etc too, so luckily that religious divide isn't as big anymore! Now my question for other UK Citizens and citizens of other countries, is that are you happy with Northern Ireland being a part of the UK

While I do consider you an economic drain and believe the terrorists should have been wiped out (I have little time for a backward religious conflict), I also consider the whole to be greater than the sum of its parts.

As I also support a united anglosphere it would be hypocritical to want to give you the boot.
Reply 9
Original post by democracyforum
and the falklands ?

Of course we should support the Falklands, not least since there's oil.
and the falklands ?

Their will has to be respected, they voted overwhealmingly to stay. Also it is ours we fought and won it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes totally.
Not really. I don't see the point in keeping it. It's not like they bring in any significant economic benefits.
No. Ireland should be whole again

Spoiler

NI is subsidised to the tune of a good £10k per head. However this is the price the current generation pays for the mistakes of the generations before who took a shameful approach to Ireland. If the Northern Irish wish to stay they are welcome and Westminster owes it to them to help rebuild the nation.

If they want to leave, nobody should stop them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Rakas21
Of course we should support the Falklands, not least since there's oil.

There's no bloody oil.

If there were oil, all the Bennies would be cutting about with three Ferraris and a helicopter and would have bought football teams by now. Instead, they're counting penguins.
Northern Ireland and the Falklands are both part of the UK and must continue to be protected by the armed forces.
I love Irish culture and their Celtic history, so I'm selfishly glad we have that as part of the UK.
Original post by AstroNandos
No. Ireland should be whole again

Spoiler

(Cheers from the back benches)

Send in the military, arrest Gerry Adams and anybody else who defies the British state.
and the falklands ?

Of course.

Quick Reply

Latest