The Student Room Group

Clutch control on a hill/gradient

Hi all, looking for some tips to prevent the dreaded roll back on a hill without the use of the handbrake, mainly at a give way on a hill. Hill starts with the handbrake are fine, it's at the give ways on a hill, where it's a brief stop which are causing some problems for me and frustrating me.

On approach about a car and a half length to the giveway i slip into first gear, catch the bite and trundle along to a closed give way. The problem is if i have to stop briefly due to traffic coming, i struggle to find the bite again to hold the car where it is before i press the gas, and i roll back slightly when moving off, not majorly but enough to fail the test.

If the above makes sense, is it because i am raising the clutch slightly a little bit too early, should i hold it at the bite until i have pressed a bit more gas then release slowly?
Original post by lombardo
should i hold it at the bite until i have pressed a bit more gas then release slowly?

Pretty much. Slightly more gas is the gist of it.
Soon as you become stationary, or just before, you need to find that bite point straight away & hold it. Whilst you have the bite point and gas, you car should not move backwards or forwards on any gradient. This is actually really difficult to explain, it just seems to be something you pick up naturally rather than being taught it. If you are fine with hill starts then it shouldn't take you longer to master this either, and on your test if you feel you need to, put the handbrake on, it'll only be a couple of seconds longer and you're confident with that skill.

The instructor wants to make sure that you're a safe driver, and if you need to take a few seconds to adjust to safely pull out then it shouldn't be that big of a problem. Sorry I couldn't of been more help.

Edit: Or what the guy above me said, that works fine too
As the others have said. Use plenty of gas, and hover the clutch just as it begins to bite.
Original post by lombardo
Hi all, looking for some tips to prevent the dreaded roll back on a hill without the use of the handbrake, mainly at a give way on a hill. Hill starts with the handbrake are fine, it's at the give ways on a hill, where it's a brief stop which are causing some problems for me and frustrating me.

On approach about a car and a half length to the giveway i slip into first gear, catch the bite and trundle along to a closed give way. The problem is if i have to stop briefly due to traffic coming, i struggle to find the bite again to hold the car where it is before i press the gas, and i roll back slightly when moving off, not majorly but enough to fail the test.

If the above makes sense, is it because i am raising the clutch slightly a little bit too early, should i hold it at the bite until i have pressed a bit more gas then release slowly?

I struggled with it too, I ended up using my hand break if it was more than like a second I was waiting for and treating it as a hill start! But if you'd rather not then keep on your bite with plenty of gas and when your safe to go raise the clutch slowly 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending