The Student Room Group

Forgotten my maths ? :S

Hi all,

I'm preparing to start a mechanical engineering course this September. My problem is I took a gap year because first time round I did not get accepted into the Universities I desired.

Anyway, I just stumbled upon some old A level maths past papers and I was shocked in that I don't remember how to solve most of the questions on the paper(except for simple algebra which is hard to forget).

Should I be worried? :confused:. And what would you recommend would be the best thing for me to do before starting?Maybe going over and answering old past papers etc?Problem here is that I threw them all away and can't find them online. I've also heard in some Unis they briefly go over a level maths to make sure everyone is on the same page; But should I rely just on that?

Any recommendations would be much appreciated and thanks in advance.
Original post by santeria133
Hi all,

I'm preparing to start a mechanical engineering course this September. My problem is I took a gap year because first time round I did not get accepted into the Universities I desired.

Anyway, I just stumbled upon some old A level maths past papers and I was shocked in that I don't remember how to solve most of the questions on the paper(except for simple algebra which is hard to forget).

Should I be worried? :confused:. And what would you recommend would be the best thing for me to do before starting?Maybe going over and answering old past papers etc?Problem here is that I threw them all away and can't find them online. I've also heard in some Unis they briefly go over a level maths to make sure everyone is on the same page; But should I rely just on that?

read a level maths/f. maths textbooks
Reply 2
Go through your old notes and books. The maths will be heavy so you will be at an advantage if you prepare.
Original post by santeria133
Hi all,

If you could do it before you'll learn how to do it again, it's nothing to worry about. It's not uncommon for people to have a year away from academia, e.g. a gap year or year in industry, and there's nothing to suggest that such a break is detrimental.
Reply 4
Yeah I guess I'll just have to go through some of my old notes etc.. made me feel better about it :smile: . Thanks all!
Just refresh yourself on the essentials. You'll probably find that they go over a lot of the basics anyway as the first year is usually a levelling off period to make sure everyone's at the same standard.

I did catch up on some A-level topics during the first year (you will have free time to do this if you need to), so don't think it's the end of the world. Oddly I found degree level maths (mechanical engineering) easier than A-levels despite it being a far higher standard of maths. I guess it just depends.
I took a gap year and thought I forgot everything but I soon got back into it. I did do further maths though so had covered more of the content than some people, even if it was a year since I'd done any of it.

I wouldn't worry about it, although going over some of it again certainly wouldn't hurt! I was far too lazy to do that :wink:
Reply 7
Almost all the past papers and worked solutions are on examsolutions.net as is revision of all the topics. It's a fantastic resource that I'm sure will help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest