AS Level Results Day Thread - 14/08/14

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Maths exams forum.

The official markschemes are up for those :tongue:

Okay, thank you!... Where is that? :colondollar:
Original post by ExMus
That's good then.
I wanna read physics at university, though I'm really not sure about which unis to apply to haha

What grades are you expecting? Might be able to help
AS Subject - Prediction - Actual
AQA Maths - A
AQA Further Maths - A
OCR A Physics - A
AQA Chemistry - A (I hope)

University Courses:
Cambridge: Phys NatSci
Manchester/Warwick/Durham: Physics (Masters)
Lancaster: Physics (Bachelors)
What grades are you expecting? Might be able to help

AAAA or AAAB...

In Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics.
Original post by ExMus
AAAA or AAAB...

In Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics.

Cambridge
Imperial
Durham
Manchester
Bristol
Bath
Exeter
Conversations with every type of person

Well I want to see what happens first, but drug development would be one. Like neuropharmacology maybe.

Hopefully 90/100

My writing is quite small so not really :tongue:

It was my huge sketches that were so space-consuming haha :tongue:
Original post by ExMus
It was my huge sketches that were so space-consuming haha :tongue:

Haha, inner artist came out to play
Cambridge
Imperial
Durham
Manchester
Bristol
Bath
Exeter

Thanks! Pretty sure I'm applying to imperial and durham :wink: Applying to cambridge if I have above 90% UMS so I still have to find 3/4 other unis to consider.
Did anyone take OCR B Physics? Grade Boundary prediction?
Original post by ExMus
Thanks! Pretty sure I'm applying to imperial and durham :wink: Applying to cambridge if I have above 90% UMS so I still have to find 3/4 other unis to consider.

90% in which subject? That's hard dude. 90/100 in a single paper, especially with the ridiculous increase to the hard exams this season.
Original post by DomStaff
Peculiar. Annoying. Ridiculous. I probably got 50-54/60 on it. So hoping for 100% UMS, because so many people found it solid and the lowest it has been for 100% was 44, so fingers crossed.

It is okay, but I would prefer OCR A. And I didn't see the point in all that communications stuff at the start of G491.

What about you?

Original post by ExMus
I'm expecting somewhere between 90% and 100% UMS for the exam. Guessing GB is going to be really low because everyone seems to believe it was the hardest paper ever. But I'm sure there were similar past papers.

And the course feels vey blurry. I'd rather do OCR A because the course looks simpler and they at least have a proper textbook to revise from, unlike the ****ty IOP book.

From what i gather the general consensus was that it was harder than the G491 that was 34 for an A...personally on reflection it wasn't that hard, it's just annoying that most of it wasn't even physics it was just applying knowledge- hence i wish we'd done OCR A or AQA which, from what i hear, were much easier this year. I was really disappointed as i think i got around 34...my lowest ever score i'm usually hitting around 49-56.
Original post by Mutleybm1996
From what i gather the general consensus was that it was harder than the G491 that was 34 for an A...personally on reflection it wasn't that hard, it's just annoying that most of it wasn't even physics it was just applying knowledge- hence i wish we'd done OCR A or AQA which, from what i hear, were much easier this year. I was really disappointed as i think i got around 34...my lowest ever score i'm usually hitting around 49-56.

OCR A was not much easier this year :lol: we're expecting low boundaries for the 2 AS exams too.

Hardest they've set so far. Glad though.

I heard AQA was easier though for them.
OCR A was not much easier this year :lol: we're expecting low boundaries for the 2 AS exams too.

Hardest they've set so far. Glad though.

I heard AQA was easier though for them.

School should change to AQA :P

Did you sit c3/4 this year? opinion? I found c4 dreadful. That said, i'm not aiming for cambridge *sniffle*

Hard is perhaps the wrong adjective. Maybe incredibly pressured given the time-frame would be deemed better? The physics was not hard, just time-consuming. Then, to add insult to injury, they introduced about 10 marks of non-physics, meaning that you actually had to stop and think. The final question was also a bit odd, in no textbook did it have anything related to that. Safe to say I wasted 10 mins on that, but got there in the end. Hopefully getting 2/3 or 3/3.

When practicing I tended to get 59-60/60, so 50-54 is a big drop. Factoring in the fact it was a real exam, I would still say the grade boundaries will be significantly lower than expected. Even though the paper was harder to complete perfectly than the 34 A one (which I thought was an easy 60/60) the grade boundaries are unlikely to be lower than this. We must bear in mind that was when the spec first came out, so people had less past papers. That is not to say it won't be 34 again, but I doubt it will considerably less.
Original post by ExMus
That's good then.
I wanna read physics at university, though I'm really not sure about which unis to apply to haha

If you like your other sciences do Physical Natsci at Cambridge, then specify in Physics. If not, apply to Oxford for straight up Physics.
School should change to AQA :P

Did you sit c3/4 this year? opinion? I found c4 dreadful. That said, i'm not aiming for cambridge *sniffle*

Nah, I liked the OCR ones. Because boundaries will drop and my UMS should be decent.

Not edexcel no
90% in which subject? That's hard dude. 90/100 in a single paper, especially with the ridiculous increase to the hard exams this season.

He means 90% UMS. On most papers that I have encountered, 90/100 almost certainly guaranteed 100% UMS. Having said that, I'm hoping for something like 95/100 G492 and 100% UMS across G491-3. (Well, I already know G493 is.)

Was it? I had finished all the past papers and I found the paper to be as hard, if not harder, than some of the pps I had completed. I guess we'll know in ten day's time. I'm looking forward to the day grade boundaries are released, really. Not gonna be as worried about results day.

Must be above 90% UMS average in my top 3 subjects for me to apply to cam. I doubt it'll happen, though.
He means 90% UMS. On most papers that I have encountered, 90/100 almost certainly guaranteed 100% UMS. Having said that, I'm hoping for something like 95/100 G492 and 100% UMS across G491-3. (Well, I already know G493 is.)

I wish it was like that. Only French is like that for me.
If you like your other sciences do Physical Natsci at Cambridge, then specify in Physics. If not, apply to Oxford for straight up Physics.

Yeah, I'm considering that course, but, as I say, my top three subjects must average over 90% UMS. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest