The Student Room Group

AS Level Results Day Thread - 14/08/14

Scroll to see replies

So I got:
Maths - C
Psychology - C
Eng Lit - D
Spanish - B
Overall I'm very upset because I worked really hard and I didn't think the exams went that badly :/
now I have no idea what to do, I wanted to go Birmingham Uni to do Psychology but that doesn't seem like a possibility now :/
help pls
Original post by Nirgilis
Apparently not, but I'll get a second opinion :smile:

thank you! :smile:x

Anyone else know about oxford and ums?
So for me I was pretty happy with my results, was mainly worried about physics before the results (All are with the WJEC):

Maths (Full A-Level) - 585/600
Computing (Full A-Level) - 380/400
--------------
Further Maths (AS) - 300/300
Physics (AS) - 284/300
Chemistry (AS) - 294/300

Also I did STEP 1 & 2 this year and got a 1,1

I'll be applying for the 4 year maths courses at:

Cambridge (Trinity)
Imperial
Warwick
UCL or Durham or Bath (2 of the three)

Overall I'm pretty happy, but do wish I could've broken 290 in physics
I got

Geography A
Biology A
Maths B
Chemistry B

In chemistry I got an A in both exams but an E in the Empa but i think that was because of my poor handwriting but i will retake it next year. I will also be retaking core 2 and stats 1 for maths. Are these sufficient AS grades to get into medicine?

Thanks
Original post by Nirgilis
If an examiner cannot read your writing, they cannot give you the marks. It may be possible to submit for a remark (speak to your teachers), especially if you feel like you deserved better.

Have you had your condition medically recognised?

yes i have and my hand writing is not that bad, i feel like i have been cheated because the examiner was not f***ed to read my messy wrighting, im talking although it near impossable to read but its just like any other non joined up writing, but in my english GCSE exam, they could read my handwriting so either the examiners just had a long day and not botherd to mark it, or i did something wrong, as i had revised for it and had been confederate, answered all the questions, had extra time i was entitaled for.
what is everyone thinking of doing in uni after the results

I was very disappointed with mine. I dont even know whether I can even get into uni at all. I had to resit a year then the grades a better but not what I wanted.
Original post by zarasa_
So I got:
Maths - C
Psychology - C
Eng Lit - D
Spanish - B
Overall I'm very upset because I worked really hard and I didn't think the exams went that badly :/
now I have no idea what to do, I wanted to go Birmingham Uni to do Psychology but that doesn't seem like a possibility now :/
help pls

I know bradford unit let BBC for psychology. ..just fish around if thats the course you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by radhikagulati
Just to make sure, Oxford don't look at ums for medicine do they?

because i got 175/200 in spanish
277/300 in maths
291/300 in biology
and 271/300 in chemistry

Hope everyone got the grades they worked hard for!
xoxo

You're right to say that Oxford don't look at UMS for Medicine :smile:

Are you aware though that Oxford Medicine (and Medicine only) does pay a lot of attention to the number of A*s you got at GCSE? Scroll down to the graphs on this page: http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
Original post by peteree
yes i have and my hand writing is not that bad, i feel like i have been cheated because the examiner was not ****ed to read my messy wrighting, im talking although it near impossable to read but its just like any other non joined up writing, but in my english GCSE exam, they could read my handwriting so either the examiners just had a long day and not botherd to mark it, or i did something wrong, as i had revised for it and had been confederate, answered all the questions, had extra time i was entitaled for.

Sounds like submitting for a remark is the thing for you to be honest :dontknow: . Either you are correct, and you've been cheated unfairly, or you just didn't do very well. However, if it's not the latter, remarking will boost your grade up :yep:
Got ABB in maths, physics and chem respectively and im so pleased and relieved
Original post by fluteflute
You're right to say that Oxford don't look at UMS for Medicine :smile:

Are you aware though that Oxford Medicine (and Medicine only) does pay a lot of attention to the number of A*s you got at GCSE? Scroll down to the graphs on this page: http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

I got 14A*s at gcse so hopefully that will be alright

So scared about BMAT though! Everyone is telling me it is horrible! x
Original post by WesterosWildling
I know bradford unit let BBC for psychology. ..just fish around if thats the course you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think that it is possible for me to get my grades up to ABB next year??
Reply 1992
Original post by snikutsmullac
o every

Maybe your problem is exam technique. It's one thing knowing the content but it's another thing knowing how to pass exams. Ask your teachers to help you, go through every mark scheme and examiners report with a fine toothed comb - sometimes knowing how to write an essay or answer a question is more important than the facts!

My college offered literary support because that is my problem. I do know it all but my English skills are poor so I have a year to fix up. I'm on a resit 3 exams and make sure I get ABB or ABC for next year. I actually got CCE not CDE but still. It's ****

14A*s is pretty impressive :eek: Definitely don't underestimate the BMAT, but give it what you've got, someone has to get the places!

P.S. come get some conversation going in the Oxford 2015 applicants thread? :biggrin:

Hehehe, so long as you prepare well for the BMAT, it's fine :tongue: . It's one of the trickiest exams I've ever taken however, but if you like puzzles and have prepared enough so you can easily see patterns, it will be fine :smile: . The results can be tremendously varied between sections, let alone people! :tongue:

Original post by RobynDear
Got ABB in maths, physics and chem respectively and im so pleased and relieved

Congratulations! :biggrin: . Future chemist I hope? :wink:
I got As in Chemistry, Biology, Maths and PE but a C in Extended Project, will Universities care much about this? I might just not mention it!
do you think it is possible to get BBC or ABC from DDEU?
from what I checked they are the lowest grades possible to get when applying for business mathematics
Original post by sr234
that UMS:colone: well done!

Thanks. I was shocked!
Yes, very easily :yep: . It requires some hard work and dedication, but it's well within reach :smile: . Just work hard and smart right from the start, and the benefits quickly become apparent :smile:

Original post by zarasa_
Do you think that it is possible for me to get my grades up to ABB next year??
Original post by WesterosWildling
Oh I have 239 ums in biology!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Remark me thinks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest