AS Level Results Day Thread - 14/08/14

Scroll to see replies

(Edexcel) Maths- A 290UMS 97%
(Edexcel) Geography- A 184UMS 92%
(Edexcel) Japanese- A 96UMS 96%
(OCR) Chemistry -A 295UMS 98%
(WJEC) Biology- A 287UMS 96%
(AQA) EPQ- A*

Literally can't even believe it. I thought I cocked up Biology so bad.
Is there any way you can have U grades stricken from your record so you don't have to declare them on UCAS?
Reply 1782
@domstaff calm down mate, those results are amazing!
Original post by isabellec
Hi, so I have a query.

I just received my AS Level results and got AABB in English Lit, Art, Biology and RS, which I'm generally really happy with.
But it's really odd because I got a B in RS, when I was expecting an A in that and maybe a B in art. So I was looking at the whole remark thing, and checked the grade boundaries (WJEC for RS btw, as well as bio and art). 70 for a B, 80 for an A, and I got 76...so I was just wondering whether there's any point in getting it remarked? Or are the boundaries too narrow? There were 2 papers, and I got an A in the other. I don't really know anything about the remark system, or the success rate etc.

I just know I really want that A in RS!!! But at the same time I don't want to waste my money on something I'm unlikely to get...if you think there's even the slightest chance, I'll contact my teacher.

Oh, and well done on everybody else's results :smile:

Thing is with remarks is that they can go down as well as up. So you have to be really careful. Since you're in the middle of a boundary, it'd have to be quite a big jump for you to move either up or down! :tongue: . Is it crucial that you get the higher mark?
Original post by BBD14
@domstaff calm down mate, those results are amazing!

How can coursework go down tho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
French: A (really happy with this, I got 75/80 UMS in the speaking and 120/120 in the written)

Spanish: A (also really happy, I got 75/80 UMS in the speaking and 113/120 in the written)

English Literature: B (I thought it might happen, but I feel disappointed because I tried hard. I got an A on the coursework but a low B in the exam. I've emailed my teachers and asked them if remarking LITB1 is a good idea because I want to try and get an A overall)

English Language: B (I was hoping for an A because I'd been getting that throughout the year. In the exam I got a C and that's strange because I was getting near full marks in the past papers, so I might also get a remark)

General Studies: B (I'm fine with this, I thought I was going to fail it so I'm glad that I didn't!)

Overall I'm happy but I feel a bit disappointed with English. It's marked really subjectively so I hope that if my teachers allow me to get remarks, the UMS might go up a little bit. I could probably get an A overall after A2 but that'd be stressful since I'd be catching up to get more UMS overall/
Can I do a course if the entry requirements are 280 points and I got AACCC??? PLEASE HELP!!
DISAPPOINTED i got 207/300 in maths biology and chemistry 210 to a B.I can resit the practicals to get an A/B should i still apply for medicine or is it too late?
Original post by chelsiepaige17
I did LitB1, was predicted an A and came out with a C...

That's the same as this guy who was top of the class and also is my best friend! It's bizarre! Only one person I know of in my class got an A
A - Maths
A - Chemistry
B - Biology (retaking one module so it will go up)
C - Class. Civ. ( 2 marks off B)

Felt like a failure tbh because I was hoping for AAAB. I want to do medicine at uni and so I was excited about the A in Chem but disappointed about the B (Uni like AAAb or AAAc)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Our G493 was marked down a ton! I thought teachers were supposed to be consistent :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nirgilis
:lol: . I think you're well within your rights :smile:

:biggrin: :biggrin: . Not enough to care :wink:

Congratulations :smile: . What are your plans for tonight? :smile:

Well my parents are away... With sister and brother. My older sister is leaving... So I'll be home alone :frown: friends left for holiday

Original post by alexSH
(Edexcel) Maths- A 290UMS 97%
(Edexcel) Geography- A 184UMS 92%
(Edexcel) Japanese- A 96UMS 96%
(OCR) Chemistry -A 295UMS 98%
(WJEC) Biology- A 287UMS 96%
(AQA) EPQ- A*

Literally can't even believe it. I thought I cocked up Biology so bad.

Was your BY3 off at all?

Original post by Dougieowner
French: A (really happy with this, I got 75/80 UMS in the speaking and 120/120 in the written)

Well done! I knew I did 'badly' in written paper, you did awesome
Well done everyone with their A levels, Scotland is jealous of your great results!!
Thing is with remarks is that they can go down as well as up. So you have to be really careful. Since you're in the middle of a boundary, it'd have to be quite a big jump for you to move either up or down! :tongue: . Is it crucial that you get the higher mark?

Well, no, not crucial. I'd quite like an A overall so I'd have to work my butt off next year to get an A* for A2.
Is it not that at ALevel, you can keep your original grade even if it moves down? I know for GCSE you had to keep whatever you got for your remark, that's why I never even contemplated that last year haha!
Original post by snikutsmullac
Is there any way you can have U grades stricken from your record so you don't have to declare them on UCAS?

That's a tricky one. The current advice from the wiki: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/ucas_apply#Adding_AS.2FA2_Levels is that you have to add them.

After the results day fever, a sticky will go up in the UCAS and Applications forum to guide you with more up to date information :smile:
Reply 1795
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Thanks for the luck! It worked kinda... So I got:

Spoiler

good job.

We did very similarly in physics and biology.

I got

G481- 83/90
G482- 150/150
G483- 55/60

and

BY1- 101/120
BY2- 118/120
BY3- 42/60

Didn't realise I'd not done so well in BY3
Wjec bio: (predicted B) C
Ocr psych: (predicted B) C
Ocr English lit: (predicted C) B
So disappointed, I really wanted 3 Bs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mutleybm1996
Our G493 was marked down a ton! I thought teachers were supposed to be consistent :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same! I was told mine was 60/60 now it is 54/60!! It ruined my physics 100% average.
That's a tricky one. The current advice from the wiki: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/ucas_apply#Adding_AS.2FA2_Levels is that you have to add them.

After the results day fever, a sticky will go up in the UCAS and Applications forum to guide you with more up to date information :smile:

How bad will that look though? The subject I got an A* in at GCSE I got a U in at AS.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Hi guys, so the other thread is primarily for A2 students, and they wanted a separate thread so this is for ASers. Can still post on the other thread but less so.

Post your...

AS Subject - Prediction/Hope - Actual

University Courses:

For me:
(WJEC) Maths A2 - A* -
(WJEC) Biology AS - A -
(OCR A) Chemistry AS - A -
(OCR A) Physics AS - A -
(WJEC) French AS - A -
(WJEC) History AS - C - B

Courses:
Cambridge - MSci NatSci
Bristol - MChem Chemistry with Industrial Experience
Bath - MSci NatSci
Nottingham: MChem Chemistry (Placement)
Warwick: MChem Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry

Best of luck all!

Grade boundaries are released the day before, except WJEC who release on the morning of results day.

(OCR) English Literature AS - A - A
(AQA) Chemistry AS - A - A
(WJEC) Mathematics AS - A - A
(WJEC) French AS - A - B

Courses:
English Literature at:
Cambridge, York, Durham, Warwick, and possibly UCL

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest