The Student Room Group

Tips on going into year 11

Hey guys, I was just wondering if you have and tips on doing well in year 11, and if there is anything that might help me do better in my exams etc (things I might need) :o:
Reply 1
Make sure to understand things as you go along - there's a lot of content in year 11 so there won't be much time to go over things. If you're unsure, speak to or e-mail the relevant teacher, or ask another science teacher if you think their explanation will be easier to understand.

Other than that, work hard and start revision well before the exam period. That way there's no last minute rush where you try to cram everythign and inevitably forget some important things.
Make sure you go to any teachers for help with things you don't understand. Also, attend any extra revision sessions, it's great being able to ask for help then and there, rather than having to wait.

Also, make a revision timetable and stick to it. Makes your life much easier.
Review everything you've learnt that day and write down everything you're not quite sure on to make sure you do eventually understand it. Also, start revising ASAP. It will really help! I didn't revise which I really do regret (I did pass everything and got a few As here and there but still). So really make sure you revise loads, especially do past papers! :-)
start looking at sixth forms! even now maybe, i made the mistake of waiting till almost the end of september to look at open days, i missed a lot i felt, but some open days run later into like december, but definitely if youre looking to go to sixth form or college start looking maybe the end of august for open days, you really dont want to miss out!
My advice would be look for sixths in advance, set goals, study hard and have a plan!
(edited 9 years ago)
understand that you will kick yourself if you don't try your hardest- not in a negative way, just make sure you put in the effort! Don't do a me and think you'll be okay with minimal effort, would've done so much better if actually put work in- work hard all year (unless you're exceptionally good at self-teaching) and find revision techniques that work early! (try out a few for mocks) because when you get to A level (or whatever higher level thing you do) you will THANK yourself that you have a good developed technique for getting info in your brain!
Make sure that your revision isn't pointless. It's not going to do you any good by staring blankly at your textbook waiting for the minutes to tick by. Instead, make sure that the revision you do stays in your head. That way, you haven't wasted your time.

Oh, and if you're doing Eng Lit, make sure you write notes as you go along then reread the novel to get more additional notes. I found loads of good points about 'Of Mice and Men' the night before the exam, just by reading it through.

Quick Reply

Latest