The Student Room Group

My dog got attacked....

Hello,

This morning I took my dog for a walk and she was attacked by another dog (it was a Labrador).

The woman didn't tell me to keep my dog away, infact she gave me a smile as if she was welcoming it, as in saying it was ok for them to greet each other. All my dog did was sniff the other dogs bum and he attacked my dog. Her dog would not let go of mine and the woman wasn't really doing anything to get him off, she was shoving a dog treat in his face and then started screaming his name and shouting OFF, which I think just made it worse. I'm ashamed to say it but in the end I booted her dog in the head to get him off my dog, it worked. The lady obviously didn't like this and it resulted in us having a bit of a slanging match :redface:. I didn't know what else to do, I tried making a loud sound to startle it, I tried the leg thing where you lift them like a wheelbarrow and spin them but this lab was HUGE and I couldn't spin him :redface: so I just went for the boot to the head. The lady wasn't doing anything to help apart from what I said before :frown:

Because my dog is a staffy cross she started saying that they should all be put down or muzzled in public :confused: which I didn't understand as it was her dog who attacked mine. So obviously I went off on one and called her a few names that I wont repeat on here.

My poor little baby has quite bad bite marks on her neck and she has a split lip that she's had to have stitches in, she also seems very shaken by it all.

After taking her to the vets I am £250 out of pocket because a dog attacked mine.

Is there anything I can do?.

I know where this woman lives.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No there is nothing you can do, except get pet insurance and keep your gay little dogs on leashes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ElChapo
No there is nothing you can do, except get pet insurance and keep your gay little dogs on leashes

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's wrong with being a gay little dog?

Homophobe.
Reply 3
Original post by Reeeeyah
What's wrong with being a gay little dog?

Homophobe.

Basically you walked your dog in public, fully aware that another dog may play with it. Get pet insurance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hello,

This morning I took my dog for a walk and she was attacked by another dog (it was a Labrador).

The woman didn't tell me to keep my dog away, infact she gave me a smile as if she was welcoming it, as in saying it was ok for them to greet each other. All my dog did was sniff the other dogs bum and he attacked my dog. Her dog would not let go of mine and the woman wasn't really doing anything to get him off, she was shoving a dog treat in his face and then started screaming his name and shouting OFF, which I think just made it worse. I'm ashamed to say it but in the end I booted her dog in the head to get him off my dog, it worked. The lady obviously didn't like this and it resulted in us having a bit of a slanging match :redface:. I didn't know what else to do, I tried making a loud sound to startle it, I tried the leg thing where you lift them like a wheelbarrow and spin them but this lab was HUGE and I couldn't spin him :redface: so I just went for the boot to the head. The lady wasn't doing anything to help apart from what I said before :frown:

Because my dog is a staffy cross she started saying that they should all be put down or muzzled in public :confused: which I didn't understand as it was her dog who attacked mine. So obviously I went off on one and called her a few names that I wont repeat on here.

My poor little baby has quite bad bite marks on her neck and she has a split lip that she's had to have stitches in, she also seems very shaken by it all.

After taking her to the vets I am £250 out of pocket because a dog attacked mine.

The comments so far on here have been a bit crap so I've done some googling.

According to this government site "A court could decide that your dog is dangerously out of control if it injures someone’s animal".

Also, "You can be fined up to £5,000 and/or sent to prison for up to 6 months if your dog is dangerously out of control. You may not be allowed to own a dog in the future and your dog may be destroyed." You should report the dog using the link provided on the website and, despite the verbal slinging, she may offer to help towards the vet bill.

Even if you don't think you'll be compensated please report in case the next dog it comes across is as feeble as my miniature dachshund. If a Labrador sized dog got him in his jaws he wouldn't survive.

Pet insurance is also very important though and can be gotten quite cheap through comparison websites. I used http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cut-pet-insurance-costs#cats to insure my little one.
Hello,

Burn her house down. If you are too cowardly to do that and well most people on TSR are indeed cowardly trash, then instead see a solicitor.
Reply 6
If both dogs were off lead then it may be difficult to get anything done about it, I think in most cases, whichever dog "starts'" a fight. It is the dog off lead which is deemed to be out of control.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's awful when that happens, isn't it?

One of my dogs was attacked a few years ago by a neighbor's dog. Bit into his side. It was upsetting just to see him so deeply shaken by the encounter.

I've had a few problems with aggressive dogs. One time, two dogs actually properly surrounded me and my youngest dog as if we were being taken captive. Recently, my Dad was chased by one to the bottom of the drive where I live.

I don't know why people can't keep their dogs under control. It's not hard. If you can't keep a dog under control, then you shouldn't own one.
Hello,

Get a claim into the small claims court.

In future be prepared to kick dogs who are not owned by responsible people and trying to hurt your dog, I didn't used to think like that but if someone takes their dog out in the knowledge that it is capable of biting then I would rather hurt someone else's dog than allow mine to be hurt.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Scumbaggio
Get a claim into the small claims court.

In future be prepared to kick dogs who are not owned by responsible people and trying to hurt your dog, I didn't used to think like that but if someone takes their dog out in the knowledge that it is capable of biting then I would rather hurt someone else's dog than allow mine to be hurt.

The problem with that is the dog could then attack you. I think it's probably a better(and much safer) idea to run. Just run. And if it happens again, tell the owners.
Ohh that's the worst thing :frown:

All aggressive dogs should wear a muzzle. And I'm also surprised it was a labrador, I thought they tended to be quite docile.
I remember one time a dog attacked my cocker spaniel, it just grabbed her by the neck, they can do some serious damage that way. I think in the end the owner booted her dog to get it off. It's a horrible experience to go through, as dogs are like family members. But there's not much you can do now, except keep it on a lead to ensure it's safety :/ I'm in no way saying it's your fault for not keeping your dog on a lead, one of my dogs always goes off the lead as well, but I suppose it is safer for them.

I remember this one time where this big mongrel went for my toy poodle, I can just tell by the way it darted towards my dog that it was going to be aggressive so I quickly scooped my dog up by it's harness and kept it in my arms. The dog was then jumping at my back, barking and trying to get at my dog. Quite scary, and the owner was just softly calling it's name... My Uncle used to take a walking stick with him to ward off any dogs that became aggressive, sometimes I think it's a good idea. :redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Audi
Basically you walked your dog in public, fully aware that another dog may play with it. Get pet insurance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Play with it? You think the other dog was playing?

:lolwut:
Was your dog off the lead? I think if your dog was off the lead and hers was on the lead its still your fault. Dogs are unpredictable animals, they understand us much more than we understand them. Even the nice looking ones that have never needed a muzzle might snap one day.

Bit weird for her reaction but...

All dogs should be kept on leads. And let off only when you are in an enclosed space where you can keep an eye on your dog and get to them quickly and put the leads back on before trouble. My dog doesn't like other dogs, and once a man with a young puppy with his dog off of the lead laughed as his dog got closer to mine, I told him that my dog doesn't like other dogs, hence why he was on a short lead, and the guy just laughed, and then when my dog actually grabbed a hold of this dog, the guy was more interested in shouting at me than helping me get the dog off. I warned him, when he could have grabbed his dog and put him back on a lead but he continued to ignore my warning. I'm not sure who was in the wrong but I'm pretty sure it wasn't me.

We asked a police officer if you can get in trouble in any way by having your dog attack another dog whilst it was on a lead and he said no. So if you're gonna file for small claims, if it was on a lead you might be out of luck.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
The most important factor, really, is whether yours or her dog was on a lead?
Because a lead means 'friendly, but unpredictable'. It's why I never let my dog go near another dog if that dog is on a lead.

Unfortunately you have a staffie, just like me, and they'll always be criticised for starting fights even if it was another dogs fault. They're fighting breeds, and in most peoples eyes, violent. You'll have a tough time getting them to see otherwise.
Lol my dog got attacked in my own block, I kicked the **** out of the other dog (Olde English bulldog) and got bit under my knee cap, but my dog got away with a few scratches and think I did more damage to that dog than that dog did to mine
N I didn't give a **** how the owner felt, I protect what's mine lol

So yh jus do what you gotta do to ensure the safety of your property, whether a dog or whatever

Posted from TSR Mobile
Btw I was kicking the dog while he was still tryna go for my dog and got bit coz I was in the wrong place basically
Don't wanna come across as someone that just recreationally kicks dogs lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Darab_1496
Btw I was kicking the dog while he was still tryna go for my dog and got bit coz I was in the wrong place basically

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm trying to get into dog kicking myself, got a pair of steel toe boots, should work a treat, going down the local park this weekend. Shall report back and tell you all how it goes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't really think that's the best solution. Just have a word with the owner.
Original post by Unibuster325
I don't really think that's the best solution. Just have a word with the owner.

Na owner was right there and wasn't doing anything; I knew the owner n dog n knew dog had dog aggression problems so I just did whatever in the heat of the moment tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Na owner was right there and wasn't doing anything; I knew the owner n dog n knew dog had dog aggression problems so I just did whatever in the heat of the moment tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

But if you'd explained to him, maybe he would have apologised and there would have been no need to attack the dog?

Quick Reply

Latest