The Student Room Group

Should I get a cat or dog first? | Julio Herrera

Hello Everyone!

My name is Julio Herrera from Italy. I am planning to get a pet, according to you all what should I get a cat or dog first?
Well, the phrasing makes it sound like you want to get both eventually. So it might just make sense to get them at the same time so they grow up together and familiar with each other from a young age. If that's not possible I'd probably suggest making sure you get them so that the dog gets used to the cat from a young age - so probably second (i.e. get the cat first then get the puppy later, and the puppy will acclimate from a young age). If you introduce a cat with an older dog, the dog may see it as prey (especially if a smaller cat and larger dog)...

In more general terms, cats tend to be a little more independent at an earlier point so may be easier to manage in some respects, although they do still need regular attention and play (and of course appropriate grooming and feeding and regular vet checkups). But they can reasonably be left to their own devices for fair chunks of time once litter box trained (e.g. the length of a work day). This makes them a bit more accessible for a lot of people who have to work regular office hours or similar.

Dogs on the other hand pretty much need near constant supervision - a dog is a lot like having a small child around really. If you aren't working from home and can't go home at lunch to let them out/feed them/give attention, you will probably need to find a dog sitter/walker (or family member) to do that. To a point you can leave them for longer periods but they tend to not manage it as well as cats to my knowledge (and are more prone to destroying things while you are out if not getting enough attention/exercise, and more prone to "accidents" indoors if there isn't someone to let them out regularly when needed).
(edited 10 months ago)
Get a dog first. Dogs are companionable pets for human as a rule.
Reply 3
Original post by Kallisto

But only if you’re home. I think that it’s almost neglect to get a dog and then leave it on its own all day. They are social creatures and want interaction. If you don’t have the time then don’t do it. A cat fairs much better on it’s own especially if it has free access to the garden etc.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Euapp
But only if you’re home. I think that it’s almost neglect to get a dog and then leave it on its own all day. They are social creatures and want interaction. If you don’t have the time then don’t do it. A cat fairs much better on it’s own especially if it has free access to the garden etc.

That is a very good point. A dog needs really a lot of time and attention to feel good. Otherwise a cat is a better choice.
Reply 5
Original post by Kallisto

Thank you so much for your valuable suggestion
Reply 6
Original post by Euapp

Sure, thanks
Original post by julioherrera
Hello Everyone!

My name is Julio Herrera from Italy. I am planning to get a pet, according to you all what should I get a cat or dog first?

I think you should get a dog first to be honest.They are loyal and adorable
Hello Everyone!
Hello Julio! Both cats and dogs make fantastic companions, but it ultimately depends on your lifestyle and preferences. If you enjoy independent yet affectionate pets, a cat might be a great fit. If you seek a loyal and active companion, a dog could be the perfect choice. Consider your time, space, and commitment before deciding. Best of luck with your new furry friend!
Reply 9
If you're looking for a companion that's more independent and low-maintenance, then a cat. I speak from personal experience as an owner of a tortoiseshell cat. Her name is Peekaboo.Tortoiseshell cats bring a unique charm to your home. According to superstitions, they're associated with feminine energy due to their predominantly female population. So, if you are a man who experiences difficulties with anger or aggression, having a Tortie helps in finding peace and harmony. I can testify to that. Everything is more relaxed in my home, and the energy is clean, so to speak.If you decide to get such a cat, you can read more about their spiritual meanings on chi-nese.com. They also bring good luck, so who knows, maybe it will help you get more projects.
(edited 1 month ago)
Consider your lifestyle and preferences. Dogs require more attention and exercise, ideal for active individuals or families. Cats are more independent and suitable for those with busy schedules or limited space. Assess your commitment, living situation, and the pet's needs to determine whether a cat or dog better suits your lifestyle.
Hello Everyone!

100% a cat. they are super independent especially if it is an outdoor cat. If i could go back in time i would not have got a dog ( although i would never give him up now & i love him with my whole heart) but they are a lot of work

Quick Reply

Latest