The Student Room Group

Worried, lost and heartbroken!

Hi
I'm hoping to become a doctor in the future, i just finished year 10 and my final grades were b's and c's, and i really want to become a doctor but i'm worried that my grades aren't good enough. Do u think i'm at a right level right now with b's and c's cause i'm really scared and i want to become a doctor really badly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by basit282828
Hi
I'm hoping to become a doctor in the future, i just finished year 10 and my final grades were b's and c's, and i really want to become a doctor but i'm worried that my grades aren't good enough. Do u think i'm at a right level right now with b's and c's cause i'm really scared and i want to become a doctor really badly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well to become a doctor you need the top grades, which means you needs A*s/As. What subjects have you got those grades for? But don't worry because you have the rest of your GCSEs to take next year (year 11)

Good luck!
Hi

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haaa i remember year 10, good days, when you get Ds and high five your friends... Anyway, year 11 is different, you will see that you're capable of good grades... You jump 2 grades by the time you sit your GCSEs from year 10 on average.
I use to get those grades but I revised properly in year 11, so I'm expecting good enough results for medicine, (i.e not 10A*s)
Reply 3
Original post by Angelo12231
Haaa i remember year 10, good days, when you get Ds and high five your friends... Anyway, year 11 is different, you will see that you're capable of good grades... You jump 2 grades by the time you sit your GCSEs from year 10 on average.
I use to get those grades but I revised properly in year 11, so I'm expecting good enough results for medicine, (i.e not 10A*s)

The b's and c's were the grades that i got in my report card but in reality i got a's and a few b's in the exams that we did, so which ones should u trust. Tnx for answering u rock man!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The b's and c's were the grades that i got in my report card but in reality i got a's and a few b's in the exams that we did, so which ones should u trust. Tnx for answering u rock man!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd trust the exams that you done... the grades on the report card are generalised. GCSEs are quite minor so don't worry too much just get your A's and whatnot in year 11 and you'll be totally fine :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Angelo12231
I'd trust the exams that you done... the grades on the report card are generalised. GCSEs are quite minor so don't worry too much just get your A's and whatnot in year 11 and you'll be totally fine :smile:

How do you get the a's, how do u revise effectively

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is a different way of revising for every subjects... What I do is I read a text book and from every page, I write down a compressed version of the notes, so its more susceptible and easier to remember. I do this with hard topics only, with easy topics - i just read the page as it won't be too hard to remember things you already understand... I then test myself by doing all the past papers electronically and monitoring my results... For every question i don't understand, i go back and re-read my notes...

What also helped me was knowing how many marks i needed to get for a certain grade... So having a look at the grade boundaries is useful (They should be on your subject's exam board's website) It also sets you a target so you know exactly what you need to do and how many marks you will need to get. Practice every past paper bro, they repeat questions from the past papers every year! Hope this helped!
Hi

Posted from TSR Mobile

No one can say you're at the right or wrong level because thats a personal thing. However, I would argue that you shouldn't worry right now. Work hard next year and do your best. If you don't get the right grades then I'm afraid you have an unrealistic aim. Of course, you have another chance with A-levels but you'd probably be a weak candidate with poor or average GCSEs for Medicine.

Good luck though, I'm sure you can get there.

Edit: ooops.
(edited 9 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically, listen in class, do all of your homework, read all of the CGP revision guides for each subject. Make sure you try your best in any coursework you have, as you have more control over your coursework than your examinations. Then just complete all of the past papers for each subject a few months before your exams. You will be absolutely fine, my teachers all gave me crap marks during Y10/11, (especially in random subjects like RS and German) and I got all As and A*s in the end. Good luck :smile: And enjoy year 11, it's the last time to relax before you've finished the horror that is A levels :colone:
Original post by JayJay-C19
No one can say you're at the write or wrong level because thats a personal thing. However, I would argue that you shouldn't worry right now. Work hard next year and do your best. If you don't get the right grades then I'm afraid you have an unrealistic aim. Of course, you have another chance with A-levels but you'd probably be a weak candidate with poor or average GCSEs for Medicine.

Good luck though, I'm sure you can get there.

Right* haha
Original post by Sacred Ground
Right*
haha

That's what I get for writing a response late at night hahah

Haha!

Lol
In Year 10, If I got a C I was so happy in mock exams :smile:
Trust me, 3 weeks before the core science exam I got a C in the mocks.
In the real exam I got a high A so don't panic! You've got ages :biggrin:
Hi

Posted from TSR Mobile

These are your predicted grades right? Honestly do not worry at all, just work your hardest.
At the beginning of year 10 I was a C & D student. I realised that I wanted to go to oxbridge so I started working hard. I ended up with 5 As in my year 10 mocks, which isn't perfect, but I think it goes to show that progress can be made.

Find motivation and work hard.
Original post by Strom
These are your predicted grades right? Honestly do not worry at all, just work your hardest.
At the beginning of year 10 I was a C & D student. I realised that I wanted to go to oxbridge so I started working hard. I ended up with 5 As in my year 10 mocks, which isn't perfect, but I think it goes to show that progress can be made.

Find motivation and work hard.

How do u get motivation
How do u get motivation

- Seeing people do better than me
- Aspiring to study at oxbridge
- Let the interesting topics motivate you through the boring ones
- Seeing work pay off
- Enjoying your subject
- My family are giving me money if I do well :cool:

That sort of thing.
Original post by Strom