The Student Room Group

alevel results help and advice please

Got ABB but predicted A*'s and needed A*AB. I dont have room/table to work on so struggled but I feel really stupid right now. I got so lucky with the contexual to ucl but i gave it away myself. I appreciate that to most, these grade are okay but they are trash to me. I've just lost my ucl offer and got queen mary instead. Nothing against qm but it's not ucl and I fell in love with the uni and course. anyways im heartbroken and need some advice. should i just firm it and go qm? one of my B's is 2 marks away from being an A so could get that remarked. My A is in maths and as much as it sounds stupid of me, I thought that was going to be an A* because of how well the exams went for me (and e.g checking student made markschemes and discussing answers). I've requested my scripts but havent recieved them yet. Any advice is okay, even if its blunt.
Original post by updown14
Got ABB but predicted A*'s and needed A*AB. I dont have room/table to work on so struggled but I feel really stupid right now. I got so lucky with the contexual to ucl but i gave it away myself. I appreciate that to most, these grade are okay but they are trash to me. I've just lost my ucl offer and got queen mary instead. Nothing against qm but it's not ucl and I fell in love with the uni and course. anyways im heartbroken and need some advice. should i just firm it and go qm? one of my B's is 2 marks away from being an A so could get that remarked. My A is in maths and as much as it sounds stupid of me, I thought that was going to be an A* because of how well the exams went for me (and e.g checking student made markschemes and discussing answers). I've requested my scripts but havent recieved them yet. Any advice is okay, even if its blunt.

Wait to see if your maths has any hope of reaching A* with a remark. In the meantime get your near miss B a priority remark. Then re-evaluate.
Reply 2
Resit and reapply.
And talk to your school about not having anywhere to study at home.
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
Resit and reapply.
And talk to your school about not having anywhere to study at home.

My school knew months ago, but there wasn't much they could.

But thanks, I'll consider restitting and reapplying.
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Wait to see if your maths has any hope of reaching A* with a remark. In the meantime get your near miss B a priority remark. Then re-evaluate.

Okay, that sounds good. Thank you
Reply 5

That's tough and you definitely shouldn't feel stupid with what you have achieved without having a quiet place to study.

You should talk to your school about getting priority remarks, get their advice about that.

I don't know whether you should accept QMUL or not. I would normally say Yes, move on with your life. But you sound so passionate about UCL. Maybe it's worth one more shot to do resits and potentially get into the uni of your dreams? Only you can really decide. But you have done amazingly, please be kind to yourself.
Okay, that sounds good. Thank you

Also let UCL know you are getting priority remarks (if you do).
Reply 7
Original post by harrysbar
That's tough and you definitely shouldn't feel stupid with what you have achieved without having a quiet place to study.

You should talk to your school about getting priority remarks, get their advice about that.

I don't know whether you should accept QMUL or not. I would normally say Yes, move on with your life. But you sound so passionate about UCL. Maybe it's worth one more shot to do resits and potentially get into the uni of your dreams? Only you can really decide. But you have done amazingly, please be kind to yourself.

Thanks for being understand of my situation. I might get my papers remarked to see if i can push up my grades and then reconsider with what the outcome of that is.

Does anyone know how good Queen Mary is? Or how good it is for Computer Science?

Hello, I am in a similar situation to you as I too was predicted 3 A*'s and have ended up with ABB. This came to me as quite a shock as even in my most recent mock exam I achieved A*A*B, and to be quite frank I think we have been absolutely shafted this year. Unlike you, I received 5 rejections but was planning on reapplying next year for Accounting and Finance at LSE, Warwick and UCL (AAA needed) and as such my dreams have been crushed.

Hopefully what I plan to do next will help you decide what you do next:

During my Computer Science exams (in which I received one of my B grades) I was almost certain that I would get an A*, upon receiving my results, it would appear that I need 20 more marks (most teachers would advise you to not have you exam remarked) however in paper 1 I lost 60 marks which I find hard to believe. If by some miracle this grade is changed to an A, I will resit Maths (my other B grade). In the scenario that the grade is not changed I guess I will have no choice but to either A) apply to Queen Mary's B) Look for degree apprenticeships.

Honestly, this is a horrible position to be put through, and you should definitely not feel stupid. I have been an A* student my whole life and I'm trying my hardest to not let 3 letters on a piece of paper define me or my life. I hope this has somewhat helped. In terms exactly answering your question, I would definitely have the papers remarked. Best of luck to you :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Kirkasaurus
Hello, I am in a similar situation to you as I too was predicted 3 A*'s and have ended up with ABB. This came to me as quite a shock as even in my most recent mock exam I achieved A*A*B, and to be quite frank I think we have been absolutely shafted this year. Unlike you, I received 5 rejections but was planning on reapplying next year for Accounting and Finance at LSE, Warwick and UCL (AAA needed) and as such my dreams have been crushed.

Hopefully what I plan to do next will help you decide what you do next:

During my Computer Science exams (in which I received one of my B grades) I was almost certain that I would get an A*, upon receiving my results, it would appear that I need 20 more marks (most teachers would advise you to not have you exam remarked) however in paper 1 I lost 60 marks which I find hard to believe. If by some miracle this grade is changed to an A, I will resit Maths (my other B grade). In the scenario that the grade is not changed I guess I will have no choice but to either A) apply to Queen Mary's B) Look for degree apprenticeships.

Honestly, this is a horrible position to be put through, and you should definitely not feel stupid. I have been an A* student my whole life and I'm trying my hardest to not let 3 letters on a piece of paper define me or my life. I hope this has somewhat helped. In terms exactly answering your question, I would definitely have the papers remarked. Best of luck to you :smile:

Hello. Thanks so much for replying. It's really kind of you to share your situation as well. And yes, our years results have turned out horribly. I get what you mean about the computer science thing but with me its was maths. I remember coming out of the exams, as a further maths student, thinking that we were really blessed and the exams went unbelievably well. Instead, my results show that I am miles away from the A* and I am completely lost for words.

I'm trying to get my exams scripts as soon as possible from my school. I'm sorry I haven't got anything useful to tell you as advice in return but I really really hope it somehow works out for you. Your situation is so difficult snd I can't imagine how much stress these stupid exams have put you through. Good Luck out there.
Hello. Thanks so much for replying. It's really kind of you to share your situation as well. And yes, our years results have turned out horribly. I get what you mean about the computer science thing but with me its was maths. I remember coming out of the exams, as a further maths student, thinking that we were really blessed and the exams went unbelievably well. Instead, my results show that I am miles away from the A* and I am completely lost for words.

I'm trying to get my exams scripts as soon as possible from my school. I'm sorry I haven't got anything useful to tell you as advice in return but I really really hope it somehow works out for you. Your situation is so difficult snd I can't imagine how much stress these stupid exams have put you through. Good Luck out there.

Thanks pal, hopefully this situation improves for the both of us very soon!
Reply 11

This is my opinion, you can listen to whoever you like, but what were you planning to study? I might be able to give better advice if you say that. I can completely relate to you thinking fairly good A levels are awful, I got A*A*B myself and I ask myself how I got that B and not an A and I put myself down about it even though I shouldn't. Whatever you do, do NOT resit your exams, even if you manage to get AAB, don't resit. Resitting your exams with grades B and above is just a stupid idea for so many different reasons. If you are doing a bachelors, you could stick to qm and go ucl for your masters if you do fairly well (not sure if you need a 1st but itll be 1st or 2:1). This is me going off the assumption that you weren't close to the A* boundary for maths as you didn't state you were close. I can understand how frustrating this is, I lost my warwick offer for maths and now I'm going bath and it makes it seem like your insurance isn't a good university and you think of your insurance as worse than it truly is. Look at QM with open eyes, and don't compare everything to UCL. This stuff happens, and there's not much you can do apart from realise that being disappointed in yourself won't achieve anything. Hopefully you'll come to enjoy it there.
Reply 12
Original post by LKemmett
This is my opinion, you can listen to whoever you like, but what were you planning to study? I might be able to give better advice if you say that. I can completely relate to you thinking fairly good A levels are awful, I got A*A*B myself and I ask myself how I got that B and not an A and I put myself down about it even though I shouldn't. Whatever you do, do NOT resit your exams, even if you manage to get AAB, don't resit. Resitting your exams with grades B and above is just a stupid idea for so many different reasons. If you are doing a bachelors, you could stick to qm and go ucl for your masters if you do fairly well (not sure if you need a 1st but itll be 1st or 2:1). This is me going off the assumption that you weren't close to the A* boundary for maths as you didn't state you were close. I can understand how frustrating this is, I lost my warwick offer for maths and now I'm going bath and it makes it seem like your insurance isn't a good university and you think of your insurance as worse than it truly is. Look at QM with open eyes, and don't compare everything to UCL. This stuff happens, and there's not much you can do apart from realise that being disappointed in yourself won't achieve anything. Hopefully you'll come to enjoy it there.

Thanks and sorry for the late replay.

The subject I've applied for is CS. I get what you mean with moving forward and accepting but there are so many resit success stories...
I will, however, look at my situation with open eyes as you said. I am grateful that I got a place at uni after getting my horrendous grades.

For my maths, I was 30 away but have already emailed my school to see the papers for myself since I can't believe I've done that badly.

Until then, I am just going to look at it as it is and decide about either just heading to qm or trying again to get ucl. I will keep in mind what you have said too. Thank you and good luck!
Original post by LKemmett

Bath is brilliant ..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending