The Student Room Group

Is it worth someone in their 20s doing a GCSE?

Basically I didn't do well on ny GCSEs due to missing alot of school due to certain circumstances, to be fair I cant say GCSEs really impacted me as I went onto college to do a BTEC and then onto a foundation degree, did start uni but by then I had lost interest in my chosen subject. I'm looking at doing IGCSE IT online and possibly GCSE Maths which i will home study, any advice would be appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Waka Flocka
Basically I didn't do well on ny GCSEs due to missing alot of school due to certain circumstances, to be fair I cant say GCSEs really impacted me as I went onto college to do a BTEC and then onto a foundation degree, did start uni but by then I had lost interest in my chosen subject. I'm looking at doing IGCSE IT online and possibly GCSE Maths which i will home study, any advice would be appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it is worth it. :smile:

Employers do check GCSE Maths and English.
Go for it.

Maths is a pre-requisite for so many things. Employers will be impressed that you motivated yourself to study at home.
Reply 3
I self-studied six IGCSEs when I was 19/20 because I missed school like you. I just bought all the recommended textbooks for the subjects I did and then arranged to take the exams at a private centre. I did the same thing for my A-levels too later on. It was definitely worth it :smile:. I wouldn't be going to uni if I hadn't done it.
Original post by Incubator
Yes it is worth it. :smile:

Employers do check GCSE Maths and English.

Original post by uberteknik
Go for it.

Maths is a pre-requisite for so many things. Employers will be impressed that you motivated yourself to study at home.

Thanks guys, and thanks for not taking the piss out of me lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks guys, and thanks for not taking the piss out of me lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I missed school too so I'm self studying igcse double science and GCSE japanese. I may redo maths too. Its not important as I got a C but I could get an A. I'm also going to be doing English and a lvl 1 btec at a local college. So I will have my five GCSEs that most high course usually require. I am not on a distance learning course either. They cost way too much and I realised I could just invest in a few books and do it on my own which I am. So far so good.

If it goes well this year I may self study a levels and start working as I don't want to go back into a school setting full time. Good luck and see if you can study without a distance learning company. There's so much online help, past exams, support, etc. You can even contact a personal tutor for an hour to go over the really complex stuff you don't understand as many can charge cheap. Good luck. Hopefully we both pass with flying colours.
Original post by Ambrosia_angel
I missed school too so I'm self studying igcse double science and GCSE japanese. I may redo maths too. Its not important as I got a C but I could get an A. I'm also going to be doing English and a lvl 1 btec at a local college. So I will have my five GCSEs that most high course usually require. I am not on a distance learning course either. They cost way too much and I realised I could just invest in a few books and do it on my own which I am. So far so good.

If it goes well this year I may self study a levels and start working as I don't want to go back into a school setting full time. Good luck and see if you can study without a distance learning company. There's so much online help, past exams, support, etc. You can even contact a personal tutor for an hour to go over the really complex stuff you don't understand as many can charge cheap. Good luck. Hopefully we both pass with flying colours.

I'm going to be doing A-level computing with an online college that has a physical campus. for AS it costs £290 not sure how much the books will cost. £290 isn't bad tbh considering its with an actual college and not a company that popedup over night. I work so can afford it I guess. Will be going to part-time employment soon though to concentrate on this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ambrosia_angel

If you don't mind me asking, what books have you found useful for the science GCSE and what does self studying the subject entail e.g. is there any coursework? I have been considering self studying it because I did so badly in it when I was at school.
(edited 9 years ago)
Not really. GCSE's aren't important compared to a levels etc. Just do your maths and english and sit both in this November. As long as you get a B in both.
Original post by BlueGangsta
Not really. GCSE's aren't important compared to a levels etc. Just do your maths and english and sit both in this November. As long as you get a B in both.

Myself and my friend were discussing it today and we both agreed they aren't that important and are just a way to advance onto higher education, which evidently can be done without GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by InsanityLoaded
If you don't mind me asking, what books have you found useful for the science GCSE and what does self studying the subject entail e.g. is there any coursework? I have been considering self studying it because I did so badly in it when I was at school.

I am doing igcse science double award with edexcel. They have two qualifications certificates but the same test. One is igcse which is not awarded to state schools (private schools and international schools only) and one is the edexcel certificate which is awarded to state schools. The tests are the same as far as I know. So is the spec.

It involves no course work or practicals. You can do GCSE but the practicals cost a lot at exam centres and you need to be able to practice them which you may have to pay somewhere to do that. Some exam centres allow you to practice at a cost which is usually a lot. I have the biology, chemistry and physicals 2009 edexcel igcse books. I also have the double award student guide which is really useful. If you want to get the books make sure you get the student guide as it tells you which pages in the big books you need to refer to. Mine are all second hand except for the student guide. They equalled up to £30 I think. If I have paid full price it would have been around £80.

There are SO MANY online resources. I have made a plan that covers 30 weeks of school time including holidays which tells me how much I should finish every week. The 30 weeks end just before Easter so I will have time to go over stuff I have missed or in case I am behind on anything. So far for chemistry I am on week 5, physics week 4 I think, biology I have only finished a bit of but I will be cramming it all in. I want to get to at least 10 weeks on all topics before I start college.

It has been a lot easier than I thought. At first it is difficult but then you realise that it is like writing at revision notes and answering tons of questions. Once I finish the units I can go the exam tests I found on some websites.
If you have any more questions just ask.
I'm going to be doing A-level computing with an online college that has a physical campus. for AS it costs £290 not sure how much the books will cost. £290 isn't bad tbh considering its with an actual college and not a company that popedup over night. I work so can afford it I guess. Will be going to part-time employment soon though to concentrate on this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have personally found it fine to do on my own but its up to you. Remember the courses do not include the exam centres fees and some don't include book and material fees either. Make sure you research well before you buy anything :smile:

Do you have your five GCSEs at a - c?
Original post by Kåte
I self-studied six IGCSEs when I was 19/20 because I missed school like you. I just bought all the recommended textbooks for the subjects I did and then arranged to take the exams at a private centre. I did the same thing for my A-levels too later on. It was definitely worth it :smile:. I wouldn't be going to uni if I hadn't done it.

How did you find teaching yourself?
Did you work as well as?
I think I may be in a position that I may have to take on iGCSE's, and possibly A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest