The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FKLW
Personally I disagree but this isn't the thread for it.

Ah sorry man was at mosque. Later?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe.
Original post by john0101
Personally I think instead of Vidal we should go for Mark Noble/Nolan of West Ham. Great player, sits in front of the defence in a very disciplined manner, distributes the ball out to the flanks to Downing and Jarvis while allowing the monstrous Diame roam forward. His passing is sublime, one of the best passers in the league, and it's something Vidal doesn't have. Noble is a midfield general, a general that we desperately need. Now.

Honestly, stats mean nothing. There's a reason why Noble is called the cockney Pirlo. He's also got a bit of Keane in him. He's a warrior. He'll rip your ****ing heart out and show it to you before you die. Vidal is just after money.

He is the ONE player LVG MUST buy...

In terms of other areas, I'm also a big fan of Hageland, Zamora, Crouch, Hoolahan, Jedinak, Kaboul, Snodgrass, Siggurdson, Gallagher, etc. Any of these names would be a bonus considering we are already having an injury crisis...

Ideally, this is how we should start for the first game:

Keep the back five solid, play a patient game. Let Snodgrass float into pockets of space and dictate the attacking play, with Zamora and Siggurdson looking to run in behind the defence. It's a good team, they know how to pass, move, and find the net.

Noble/Nolan and Jedinak would be key, Jedinak would sit back and allow Nolan to float those perfectly weighted over-the-top through balls to Zamora.

Zamora is more than capable of bringing the ball down on his chest, taking a touch and then unleashing a venemous volley into the top corner. Mata can't do that, Zamora can.

We would have Rooney on the bench, could bring him on if we need another winger, and we could utilise Nani as a left back, so the depth would be there

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rofl:
Original post by cost
You're not serious.
Are you that bored you created another TSR account so you could have a conversation with yourself?
Looooool
Im Done

I swear to god I have no clue who that guy is lol
Original post by NathanW18
Even if the journalists asked LVG about transfers, he wouldn't say much, anyway. We'd know nothing more than we know now. Not expecting anything until deadline day tbh.

I think he must be getting frustrated by what's going on. He would have turned up at United believing that a club of this stature would have the best negotiators in the business, not the shambles we've got. I still think we'll sign a CB and CM but it won't be until the last days of the window. Think Arsenal last summer, months of discontent then they suddenly pull something out of the hat.
Original post by sr90
I think he must be getting frustrated by what's going on. He would have turned up at United believing that a club of this stature would have the best negotiators in the business, not the shambles we've got. I still think we'll sign a CB and CM but it won't be until the last days of the window. Think Arsenal last summer, months of discontent then they suddenly pull something out of the hat.

Im still hoping we pull something out of the bag, although Shaw and Herrera are quality signings I'd be extremely disappointed if that was our only activity this window
Original post by sr90

Arsenal last summer pulled out nothing. They spent 42M on a big signing that they didn't need and even partially ruins an otherwise working system. Similar to you guys buying Mata, playing a 3-4-1-2 while you don't even have enough CBs fit or good enough to actually play the role.

He's going to get a big signing to appease people but won't be surprised if it's not somebody you need.
Original post by sr90

It sucks that Gill left at such an important time. We needed him here to get these important transfers through. Shouldn't have let him leave at the same time as Sir Alex. We will surely sign 2 players. I still believe that we will.
Original post by jam278
Arsenal last summer pulled out nothing. They spent 42M on a big signing that they didn't need and even partially ruins an otherwise working system. Similar to you guys buying Mata, playing a 3-4-1-2 while you don't even have enough CBs fit or good enough to actually play the role.

He's going to get a big signing to appease people but won't be surprised if it's not somebody you need.

I was paying more attention to the fact that Arsenal at least bought a marquee signing, after being ridiculed all summer for doing poor transfer business they shut their critics up. Woody needs to do something similar with a proper midfielder. We'll have to replace Fletcher, Carrick and one of Fellaini/Cleverley next summer and we need a new CM as it is, so that's 3-4 new CM's which we will need to bring in within the next 3-4 transfer windows. If the position is left to decay for yet another window then things are going to get much worse before they get better.

Now Martinez is injured for Bayern, what are the odds that they come in for Vidal and wrap the deal up in 3 days?
Original post by sr90
I was paying more attention to the fact that Arsenal at least bought a marquee signing, after being ridiculed all summer for doing poor transfer business they shut their critics up. Woody needs to do something similar with a proper midfielder. We'll have to replace Fletcher, Carrick and one of Fellaini/Cleverley next summer and we need a new CM as it is, so that's 3-4 new CM's which we will need to bring in within the next 3-4 transfer windows. If the position is left to decay for yet another window then things are going to get much worse before they get better.

Now Martinez is injured for Bayern, what are the odds that they come in for Vidal and wrap the deal up in 3 days?

Yes but the critics didn't shut up because he was clearly the wrong signing, they needed a DM, a winger and a striker. They pulled out a signing that was basically pot luck because Real wanted bale and one of Di Maria and Ozil had to go. It's not good business at all and didn't shut anybody up. Honestly see you guys buying Schneiderlin or something like that because you're struggling to get a midfielder in.

The clock is ticking and Juve won't sell if they don't have time to find a replacement.
Original post by NathanW18
It sucks that Gill left at such an important time. We needed him here to get these important transfers through. Shouldn't have let him leave at the same time as Sir Alex. We will surely sign 2 players. I still believe that we will.

If we get Rojo as expected, Vidal and a decent CB then IMO it will have been a hugely successful window. Big big if yes but Ed could easily still turn this around by getting someone like Vidal. Hopefully there will be another CB we don't know about right now. IMO we have enough quality attacking players between:

RVP
Rooney
Mata
Kags
Welbs
Januzaj
Young (yes I believe he is turning it around and will be important this season)

Shaw, Herrera, Rojo, Vidal and a CB would significantly strengthen us. You could argue Vidal is the only loss last season, I think people have selective memory and seem to forget how much of a liability Rio and Evra had become.

Tomorrow I'd like:

DDG
Rafa Smalling Blackett Jones Young
Herrera Fletcher
Mata
Rooney Januzaj

Although it'll likely be Hernandez for Januzaj.

Think that is a pretty strong team. Then Shaw will come back in, Rafa and Young cover fighting for wing back place. RvP back, replace Fletch with another beastly CM and that team will look as good as anyones.

Big if on the signings front though..please Ed for once, don't break our hearts. All the transfer BS aside.. 1 day to go :jive: SO excited for tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Van Persie hasn't even trained yet.
Sorry meant Rooney. Knew that, that's why I put below 'RvP back'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hayles101
x

I find it hard to believe transfers won't happen. After last year's 7th place i find it hard to believe that the directors would allow Van Gaal to go experimental with youth players.

We need a decent CM for sure and a CB also since ours seem to be constantly injured or suspended.
Original post by _Morsey_
I find it hard to believe transfers won't happen. After last year's 7th place i find it hard to believe that the directors would allow Van Gaal to go experimental with youth players.

We need a decent CM for sure and a CB also since ours seem to be constantly injured or suspended.

It will be hugely shocked if at the very least a CM and CB don't come in, even if it's on deadline day. I'm worried yes but do not believe for one second we won't get a couple more in.

It'll be a last minute scramble though I think. Vidal will go to the wire I think sadly and a lot will depend on that. May need to go to a plan B. Regarding a CB, I don't think the press even know who were after. Not sure Rojo alone would be enough. We'll see, depends how much LVG rates him. I want Blackett to continue to play unless his performances state otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam278
Yes but the critics didn't shut up because he was clearly the wrong signing, they needed a DM, a winger and a striker. They pulled out a signing that was basically pot luck because Real wanted bale and one of Di Maria and Ozil had to go. It's not good business at all and didn't shut anybody up. Honestly see you guys buying Schneiderlin or something like that because you're struggling to get a midfielder in.

The clock is ticking and Juve won't sell if they don't have time to find a replacement.

I'd take him tbh. Better than anyone we have bar Herrera and he's still only 24.
Original post by jam278
Honestly see you guys buying Schneiderlin or something like that because you're struggling to get a midfielder in.

Schneiderlin would be a good buy. I'd be happy with him. I still think Vidal is on, though. If not, Schneiderlin is a good fallback option.
Original post by hayles101
If we get Rojo as expected, Vidal and a decent CB then IMO it will have been a hugely successful window. Big big if yes but Ed could easily still turn this around by getting someone like Vidal. Hopefully there will be another CB we don't know about right now.

It would be, but it's still a huge if. If Rojo is bought and we keep Keane around, I don't think we will sign another CB. If we let Keane go out on loan, we should surely be looking for another one.

Evans, Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Blackett and Keane is enough imo. I would have preferred a more commanding CB than Rojo, but if he's what's available, he should be bought.

Original post by _Morsey_

Van Gaal would not be here if the board tried to tell him how to run the team. If he wants to use the youngsters, he'll do it. There's no point in hiring a manager and then questioning his decisions. He's paid to make them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278

Juve already have a replacement. Just not a world-class one.

Regardless, selling Vidal doesn't make any sense anywhere. The fact we still haven't lodged a bid after a month of speculation is sufficient enough information to conclude that vG does not want him. He has never stated we need a CDM nor a passion for Vidal. He knows what he wants and Vidal just doesn't fit that; that much, I would agree with him on.

Reluctantly, I believe that Vidal is not coming. He never was and probably never wanted to. At the end of the day, if he was motivated by money, this deal would have happened some time ago. If vG believes Fletcher and Carrick can do a job until Christmas, I say we have to trust him on that.
I said months ago it would be a terrible mistake to let Rio, Vidic, Evra all go at once, I was worried about the loss of experience. But to be starting the season without adequately replacing these central defence losses is staggering. Hell now we are playing 3-5-2 you wonder even more, why was Evra sold, he's a far better suit to the LWB than Shaw.

So really, we've only strengthened in one position and that's CM, but we are still hugely reliant on ageing players there.

Currently, this squad is even weaker than what we had last year, but laughably we still have reams of deadwood loitering around the squad or players who are simply surplus to requirement and proven agitators. Now, last season I was a staunch defender of the capabilities of that squad - and said they were simply under performing. But theres no doubting now, this squad is weak in comparison to all the teams who finished in the top four last season.
We didn't let Vidic go. His contract was expiring and he decided to leave. It's disappointing that our captain decided to walk away during a really tough time. We wanted to keep Evra, but he asked to leave. Evra has been declining for years, but I would have kept him to help Shaw out. We should have kept Rio. I don't know why we let him go. Sure, he had a bad season, but he wasn't used correctly by Moyes. He could have been used when we had injuries.

We're reliant on Carrick and Fletcher, which is a bit disappointing, but the window is not over yet. Woodward has 2 weeks. The deadwood not leaving is probably due to other teams not being able to afford their wages. We gave a lot of our backup players large contracts. Seemingly to keep them happy as squad players and that makes it more difficult to shift them. I'm sure I read a few days ago that Anderson turned down two Brazilian clubs. Probably due to wages.

Latest