The Student Room Group

Are all post offices useless?

I sell items on ebay and so i need to go to my local post office once a week to post things and i was wondering what everyone elses local post offices are like.
At my local you have to ask for receipts, certificate of posting and recorded delivery slips 2 or 3 times because the people working there always forget to give them to you.
Also quite a few times when im being served the person serving me just stops and starts talking to the other people who work there, leaving me standing there like an idiot. Which is quite rude and inconsiderate to me and the other people also waiting to be served.
Does any of this, or anything similar, happen to anyone else?
Reply 1
You can ask for a stack of certificates of posting, and then fill them out at home and just get them to stamp them. It's quicker and easier.
Reply 2
Juno
You can ask for a stack of certificates of posting, and then fill them out at home and just get them to stamp them. It's quicker and easier.

thats what i did because ive run out of them and the guy working there didnt give me any:frown:
Reply 3
kitty_koo
I sell items on ebay and so i need to go to my local post office once a week to post things and i was wondering what everyone elses local post offices are like.
At my local you have to ask for receipts, certificate of posting and recorded delivery slips 2 or 3 times because the people working there always forget to give them to you.
Also quite a few times when im being served the person serving me just stops and starts talking to the other people who work there, leaving me standing there like an idiot. Which is quite rude and inconsiderate to me and the other people also waiting to be served.

Yes! I hate it when the lady starts blabbering to the customer about some useless gossip. I would feel rude if I interrupted but in reality they are the ones being rude. I also get annoyed when people can't do their jobs right, somtimes you meet the most incompetent person on planet earth, like the Tech Support @ AOL. :mad: :p:
Reply 4
I get the same, yes. I post about 15 things per day from my eBay sales. I've started making my own proof of postings - do them in word with my logo etc. and just make the post office people stamp them - works well. And I don't have to write them all out by hand...
Reply 5
The staff at our Post Office are fine but the management is a little incompetent. They used to be in their own dedicated building in front of the local sorting office. For some reason they decided that it was too big for them and moved into the struggling co-op, leaving their old building empty yet the back of it is still the sorting office :confused:. The co-op has now closed and to get into the post office you have to use a back door. Inside there is a fence up seperating it from the old co-op.
Reply 6
Ours is a nice little village post office, all sweet and everything.
So theres never any problems, as i know the 2 owners very well. this is very good as they always know when im likely to want a recept, and ask me, and they can pretty much guess what i need as im walkign through the door!!
Also has its benefits when collecting parcels, no freaking out for id etc etc ..

Has its benefits being in the country!!
Urgh,I went to the post office today just to post a large letter and I spent 25 minutes of my 30 minute dinner time in the queue :frown: And there was room for like 10 cashiers and only like three there :tongue: And there's too many old people.
I actually have a Post Office as part of my house :cool:

I'd like to think it's well run by my Mum and Auntie - lots of eBayers who tend to leave their parcels here and they do them bits at a time during the day. For example, one regular left 54 parcels today from over the weekend and bank holiday Monday!

I know some Post Offices are hopeless though, we hear tales from customers of massive queues at other local offices. The queue isn't usually too bad at ours, perhaps if someone that doesn't often come in so doesn't leave their parcels comes in with a lot of parcels, that can be quite annoyed!

Sarah
kitty_koo

I find that all the time. The reason is that the post offices in newsagents dont make any money for the shop owners so they dont really give a dam.
Reply 10
My village post office is nothing short of brilliant. Never had a problem with them in my life.

As for the 'talking to another employee' I've always wondered - are TSR people just very timid or do most people tolerate this sort of rudeness in Britain these days? I certainly wouldn't.
Reply 11
LibertineNorth
My village post office is nothing short of brilliant. Never had a problem with them in my life.

As for the 'talking to another employee' I've always wondered - are TSR people just very timid or do most people tolerate this sort of rudeness in Britain these days? I certainly wouldn't.

i very reluctantly tolerate it because i dont want to appear rude or kind of arrogant by telling the workers to stop talking and get on with their job,which they should do anyway
Reply 12
Yes, heaven forbid anyone should complain to call attention to a problem :rolleyes:

Come on! Speak up about it or write a letter detailing times, dates and names. Say what you think is wrong, and ask for it to be rectified. Failing that, stop using them!
The Queues are awful for the main post offices, someone told me they had to wait an whole hour in line before they got served, i heard the other day some callers jammed the line, it was something to do with junk mail.
Reply 14
Carl1982
The Queues are awful for the main post offices, someone told me they had to wait an whole hour in line before they got served, i heard the other day some callers jammed the line, it was something to do with junk mail.

:ditto:
My post office is OK: I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes-ish.

Latest

Trending

Trending