The Student Room Group
Original post by dooglebirden
Just wondering, because you always hear about indigenous Americans, australians etc could you consider an white british person thats entire ancestry links to the uk indigenous?
There's debate about to what extent the white population of the UK are the indigenous population, given the waves of Celtic, Saxon, Norman, Irish, Polish etc immigration. Although it's very possible that most Brits do have significant genetic linkage to the first inhabitants of the islands.

Not sure there's much of a comparison to be made to native Americans or Australians though. No-one's sticking 'native' Brits on reservations.
Gingers are the indigenous people of the UK.
Reply 3
White British people are not even an ethnic group that's why they don't have tribes like the people of Africa or Asia.
Before Roman times 'Britain' was just a geographical entity, and had no political meaning, and no single cultural identity. Arguably this remained generally true until the 17th century, when James I of England and VI of Scotland sought to establish a pan-British monarchy.
Original post by al_94
White British people are not even an ethnic group that's why they don't have tribes like the people of Africa or Asia.

We used to have tribes (Celts, Saxons, Franks were all originally tribal). Then Britain was united under a King, then one thing led to another and we got democracy.
It depends on your definition. According to this, 'Indigenous' doesn't necessarily mean 'first settlers', but specifies cultural similarities and a vulnerability to oppression:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peoples

However, I think your question is really implying 'first settlers' or 'having been here a long time'. Given the last invasion was 1000 years ago, and was by the French, I'd say the answer is yes. However, whether or not there are any political implications is another matter.
(edited 9 years ago)
yep they are, absolutely
2 points in answer to the posters above:
1 because there is an anglo saxon admixture does not mean they are not now the native population: maoris onky reached new zealand in the middle ages, they are still considered the native population.
most white british people are thought to have most of their ancestors living here dating back milennia.
2 the idea that because britain wasnt a political entity white british are native is laughable, was aboriginal australia a political entity?
i recognise that this truth is used by racists but we cant let them make us whitewash facts.
yes white british are the native population.
The island didn't always have political meaning, for sure, but there have always been native groups: the Celts, Picts and later the Germanic tribes that would mix with them; they had their own cultures which were formed around these ethnic groups. Britain had a pan-British identity, in that ethnic groups - English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish - had similar cultures that were derived from Celtic pasts, this can definitely be seen by the idea of Britain being a distinct region of peoples (separate from the Latin continent), just look at Athelstan or Alfred the Great. James I is an example of this commonality of culture, a shared history of the native ethnic groups.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I don't think so. They are mainly of anglo-saxon and celtic origins, I remember being taught that the UK's original inhabitants were wiped out.

DNA tests have shown native Britons can, for the majority, trace their bloodlines back before the celts.
Original post by dooglebirden
Just wondering, because you always hear about indigenous Americans, australians etc could you consider an white british person thats entire ancestry links to the uk indigenous?

We judge those groups to be indigenous because their ancestors and ethnic groups can trace thousands of years of existence living in certain regions, native Britons (whites/Europeans) can certainly do the same.
Reply 11
What about the celts are you not aware of the tribes of Briton who do you think boadicea was ?
Reply 12
Original post by al_94

They do , celts had tribes boudicca was the leader of the tribe that kicked the Romans arrested
Reply 13
Original post by Bill_Gates
Before Roman times 'Britain' was just a geographical entity, and had no political meaning, and no single cultural identity. Arguably this remained generally true until the 17th century, when James I of England and VI of Scotland sought to establish a pan-British monarchy.

Have you never heard of the celts? England was celtic it had many tribes amd they fought the Romans fiercely
A lot of white brits are actually eastern european or otherwise, so i think it would be more specific to say white english/irish/scottish et.c.
Reply 15
Original post by Alfred.Rex.I
DNA tests have shown native Britons can, for the majority, trace their bloodlines back before the celts.

Mainly celts , they weren't wiped out the retreated to Cornwall Wales and Ireland Scotland, England was divided up , I don't understand where people are getting their history lessons
Strictly speaking most of the European population is genetically linked to the Indo-European migrations however genetic analysis today suggests that the Anglo-Saxon migrations from around 400AD are dominant.

Latest

Trending

Trending