The Student Room Group

Do you overtake/tailgate people that are driving the speed limit?

I've only been driving for a day, but couldn't count how many times someone either overtook me or was just practically up my ass, most often the latter

Weird thing is, each time this happened, I checked my speedo and I was either very close to the limit, on the limit, and even above a couple times. I'm just playing it safe on the road since I literally just started driving my car but everyone else seems to be in a rush

Wondering if this'll be the norm for a while or maybe even if I'll become like this in a year or so

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by K-Nitro
I've only been driving for a day, but couldn't count how many times someone either overtook me or was just practically up my ass, most often the latter

Weird thing is, each time this happened, I checked my speedo and I was either very close to the limit, on the limit, and even above a couple times. I'm just playing it safe on the road since I literally just started driving my car but everyone else seems to be in a rush

Wondering if this'll be the norm for a while or maybe even if I'll become like this in a year or so

If it's someone doing 25 in a 40 zone, then I'd be tempted to tailgate, but I wouldn't get dangerously close. Sounds like there's just a few pricks about in your area really!
I allow a 10-15% buffer speed before deciding to go right up behind someone. If you are going 20 in a 40 than yeah I will tailgate, If you are going 35ish than I see that as reasonable.
Original post by K-Nitro

All the time and it really bugs me as I have a black box which monitors my speed. It's not even like I religiously stick to the speed limit, I sometimes even go over and I'm never more than 2mph under, but still people try get as close as possible to my rear bumper. Whenever they do this I actually slow down a bit and almost come to a stop when turning off just to anger them.
Reply 4
I felt the same when i had a black box, I had to do the speed limit (+10% ish) and I felt like the slowest one on the road
Now I dont have the box and I get impatient when someone is doing 30 on a large/empty 30 zone road. :frown:
Original post by College_Dropout
I allow a 10-15% buffer speed before deciding to go right up behind someone. If you are going 20 in a 40 than yeah I will tailgate, If you are going 35ish than I see that as reasonable.

Out of curiosity, why do you tailgate?

It's not going to get you to where you're going any faster, it's just going to put you at risk of rear ending them (and being at fault) if they hit the brakes harder than you expect. And every driver I've ever spoken to (myself included) will slow down when being tailgated, regardless of whether they're already going under the limit or not.
hahaha cute, OP doesn't realise no one drives the speed limit.]

speed limits are for squares.
Reply 7
I overtake as tailgating is dangerous.
I generally don't like following anyone on A or B roads.

Therefore if someone is dawdling about on the road I sit on his or her tail till it is safe to overtake. One thing I always encounter in UK, the moment that ****er doing 30 in a 40 zone realizes someone is overtaking it is when that scumbag would speed up to 50.

The moment I get in front of such kinds I give them a nice good brake test then a few puffs of black diesel smoke.
Original post by heyimbored
Out of curiosity, why do you tailgate?

It's not going to get you to where you're going any faster, it's just going to put you at risk of rear ending them (and being at fault) if they hit the brakes harder than you expect. And every driver I've ever spoken to (myself included) will slow down when being tailgated, regardless of whether they're already going under the limit or not.

In hope the idiots get the message and start driving around the speed limit. I also slow down when being tailgated, the difference is I drive around the speed limit and not ridiculously under. If they dont get tailgated, they will never get the message and will continue to drive slowly which is dangerous.

I may be putting myself at risk of rear ending them, If they break suddenly for no apparent reason than they are at fault, if the is a apparent obstruction ahead I increase the gap. But surely me tailgating is just as risky as you slowing down when being tailgated? Either you are to blame or the tailgater crashes into you, they may be at fault but who want to go through the hassle of having a car crash?
Original post by College_Dropout
In hope the idiots get the message and start driving around the speed limit. I also slow down when being tailgated, the difference is I drive around the speed limit and not ridiculously under. If they dont get tailgated, they will never get the message and will continue to drive slowly which is dangerous.

I may be putting myself at risk of rear ending them, If they break suddenly for no apparent reason than they are at fault, if the is a apparent obstruction ahead I increase the gap. But surely me tailgating is just as risky as you slowing down when being tailgated? Either you are to blame or the tailgater crashes into you, they may be at fault but who want to go through the hassle of having a car crash?

I agree that driving too slowly has its dangers for other road users (although I'd say that most of those in danger are those who are too fast), but trying to remedy that with tailgating is stupid. Just accept that they're not confident driving that fast and be patient with them before passing when it's safe to do so. In good time that driver will become more confident and speed up.

Even in cases when people brake specifically to make a point to tailgaters responsibility of the crash is shared. If they brake sharply for a reason, it would be your fault, regardless of whether they maybe could have spotted that early. I'd say braking sharply to teach tailgaters a lesson is just as stupid as tailgating for the record. In any case, you can never know for sure that something won't pop up.

You tailgating is just as risky as someone braking to stop you, slowing down is just going to reduce the speed of the impact; I'd rather be bumped at 20 than 30. People usually get the picture when I slow down anyway, so it fixes the whole situation.
(edited 9 years ago)
****ers who do 30 on national speed limit roads that are difficult to overtake on ggggrrrrrrr that really annoys me.
Reply 12
Original post by TornadoGR4
All the time and it really bugs me as I have a black box which monitors my speed. It's not even like I religiously stick to the speed limit, I sometimes even go over and I'm never more than 2mph under, but still people try get as close as possible to my rear bumper. Whenever they do this I actually slow down a bit and almost come to a stop when turning off just to anger them.

Unlucky, with that black box there you don't even have a choice if you want those discounted prices later on. Probably the main reason why I wouldn't let one of those anywhere near my car, though I understand people getting one installed

OK, well sounds like it's a case of having a bunch of *******s in my area + me still being fresh. 2 days on and it isn't really as bad anymore lol. Suppose it would be worse if I actually stuck my P plates on. I know those guys get straight disrespected
Just got tailgated on the M40 northbound. Some chump in a Vauxhall Vectra.

I dealt with him by slowing down to 80mph (yes, the guy was pushing me to beyond those speeds until I decided I wasn't really in the mood to drive fast anymore), this infuriated him and satisfied me. He slowed down after that so I sped up a little just to make it clear I wanted there to be a bigger gap between us.

But it looked like I'd sparked a bit of road rage in him since he zoomed straight up to me with about a metre to spare! Naturally, I slowed down more, without braking, down to about 75mph. He tried to undertake me and the car in the middle lane (left lane was empty but lots of people were hogging the middle lane), he failed. Don't know what that loser was thinking when he attempted to undertake a BMW 320d... I just sped off and never saw him again.
Original post by live_a_life
Just got tailgated on the M40 northbound. Some chump in a Vauxhall Vectra.

I dealt with him by slowing down to 80mph (yes, the guy was pushing me to beyond those speeds until I decided I wasn't really in the mood to drive fast anymore), this infuriated him and satisfied me. He slowed down after that so I sped up a little just to make it clear I wanted there to be a bigger gap between us.

But it looked like I'd sparked a bit of road rage in him since he zoomed straight up to me with about a metre to spare! Naturally, I slowed down more, without braking, down to about 75mph. He tried to undertake me and the car in the middle lane (left lane was empty but lots of people were hogging the middle lane), he failed. Don't know what that loser was thinking when he attempted to undertake a BMW 320d... I just sped off and never saw him again.

Was that a red Vectra? I've encountered this red Vectra on the M40, I have encountered this chav-****er driver thrice. Will tailgate, undertake and will give you a brake test on the outside lane. It has a VXR bodykit but isn't a VXR, I'm guessing it is just your regular repmobile 1.9CDTi.

Not sure if it is me or is it really the case that 90% of all ****er drivers in UK and especially on the M40 happens to be driving a Vauxhall Vectra or a Volkswagen Passat or a Ford Mondeo.
Original post by Alfissti
Was that a red Vectra? I've encountered this red Vectra on the M40, I have encountered this chav-****er driver thrice. Will tailgate, undertake and will give you a brake test on the outside lane. It has a VXR bodykit but isn't a VXR, I'm guessing it is just your regular repmobile 1.9CDTi.

Not sure if it is me or is it really the case that 90% of all ****er drivers in UK and especially on the M40 happens to be driving a Vauxhall Vectra or a Volkswagen Passat or a Ford Mondeo.

I'm probably one of the Vectras on M40. Quickest way to London from Birmingham.

I do also tailgate in the third lane. Reason being, no cameras on the M40. Usually be in cruise control at 120. Then that one t*** pulls out of the second lane to overtake at 71mph.

I've also undertaken a lot of these t***s. Having said all that, I haven't been on the M40 for a few weeks now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alfissti

Nah, this was some 1.9CDTI with standard body kit with a chav who kept swearing every time he got close to my car which was strangely satisfying haha.

I definitely agree with your statement about Vectra, Mondeo and Passat drivers.

I was used to this behaviour in my Ford but this is the first ****tard to do it to me in my newer car. Next time I won't be so patient, I'll give that guy one big cloud of black smoke and disappear haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrWhosane
I'm probably one of the Vectras on M40. Quickest way to London from Birmingham.

I do also tailgate in the third lane. Reason being, no cameras on the M40. Usually be in cruise control at 120. Then that one t*** pulls out of the second lane to overtake at 71mph.

I've also undertaken a lot of these t***s. Having said all that, I haven't been on the M40 for a few weeks now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Speeding is fine by me. Just don't force it on others when they don't feel like speeding. Cameras or not, when I brake check you, you can guarantee that you'll get 100% of the blame. And I will brake check you if you tailgate me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't tailgate if the person is doing the speed limit BUT people going too slow on the right hand lane, will frustrate me no end and yeah I would probably try get them to move over. I just cannot understand the concept of people going 40 mph on a 50mph A Road in the right hand lane!
I cannot stand people that do this. I'm on a Zontes Tiger 125 and people see the L plate on my bike and if I'm doing 30 in, surprisingly, a 30 zone they'll overtake and tear off and most of the time they end up cutting me up because I 'don't need the entire road'. -_____-

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest