The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Msc Local Economic Development at LSE vs Msc International Politcal Economy at King's

Hi everyone!
I've been admitted at Msc Local Economic Development at LSE and Msc International Politcal Economy at King's.
I assume LSE has higher reputation/courses quality, but I still wonder if IPE at King's wouldn't be more accurate regarding my professional goals: I'd like to work for UN or agencies, but my true dream would be to join the OECD in Paris.
Do you think IPE at King's is more relevant considering OECD global scope and pure economics? Or "LSE" name is more valuable in any cases (I'm afraid "local" economic development may be too narrowed for organisation such as OECD)?
Thanks a million for your answers!
Hi!
I'm an incoming postgrad at LSE (to make any biases clear).
It sounds like they would both be excellent preparation for what you want to do - do you have any thoughts on what specifically you would want to do at the OECD?

The trade off I guess is between a * slightly* more relevant course and a university with a *slightly* better reputation in this field as a whole. If I were guessing I would say that you might be a bit better placed for internships etc at LSE, but the wider scope of IPE would make King's the better choice.

One word of warning about the King's IPE course - it has a very libertarian bent to it (the course director is a big name within those circles) and from what I know of the OECD, that sort of outlook is not very liked at the moment. The economics you will be taught will probably be Austrian - bear this in mind when applying to organizations for whom this might matter.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Hey!

Many many thanks for your answer and very precious indications!
Given the reputation issue + IPE Kings orientations that you said, I think I'll remain on LSE trying to make the best of it...

At OECD I'd love to work on economic development and/or public policies - which fits with LED, but my question is more on the value on the course itself.. have you heard any echoes on Local Economic Development at LSE?

I'm also considering requesting a change of Msc, if ever it has any chances to succeed.. (and if it is not likely prejudice my academic year)

thanks again!

Original post by BigBadSaint
Hi!
I'm an incoming postgrad at LSE (to make any biases clear).
It sounds like they would both be excellent preparation for what you want to do - do you have any thoughts on what specifically you would want to do at the OECD?

The trade off I guess is between a * slightly* more relevant course and a university with a *slightly* better reputation in this field as a whole. If I were guessing I would say that you might be a bit better placed for internships etc at LSE, but the wider scope of IPE would make King's the better choice.

One word of warning about the King's IPE course - it has a very libertarian bent to it (the course director is a big name within those circles) and from what I know of the OECD, that sort of outlook is not very liked at the moment. The economics you will be taught will probably be Austrian - bear this in mind when applying to organizations for whom this might matter.
Reply 3
Hi,

I have the same exact issue. I first wanted to study International Political economy at Kings however after speaking to my teacher who has worked in a few government positions he changed my mind. He suggested something with a bit more maths such as Public policy. I searched a few places and found a good one at UCL. However now I am considering applying for Economics at LSE.

The problem I have is whether Economics at LSE would be to advanced for me. I should be finishing my Economics degree from the University of Hertfordshire with a first but the LSE economics degree says that it is highly mathematical based. I don't know if this is just in the Econometrics module or throughout the Macroeconomics and Microeconomics modules as well. I have not studied econometrics in my third year however I did study it in my second year and techniques of economic analysis in my second year.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending