The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Ask a former Hull student anything!

It's been a few years since I left, but if you have any questions about the Uni or living in Hull fire away!

:woo:

Good luck to everyone getting their results today!

Scroll to see replies

How is life at Hull (the city)?
And how are the proffessors? Are the lecture rooms good?
They didn't accept or reject yet but they're now my firm!
Thanks! :smile:
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Original post by ThatGirlInRed
How is life at Hull (the city)?
And how are the proffessors? Are the lecture rooms good?
They didn't accept or reject yet but they're now my firm!
Thanks! :smile:

Hey! What are you studying?

The lecture rooms are good! it's a really nice campus. :smile:

My lecturers were really fantastic - always happy to talk to you, really helpful. Very friendly atmosphere in the Uni overall. :smile:

I really enjoyed being in Hull - it's got a great selection of pubs and restaurants. Everything is really cheap. The only thing is it doesn't get as much by way of gigs/bands etc. But Leeds and York are really close by. Plus, it's easy to Europe on the Ferry! :biggrin:
Thank you! :smile: Is it a lively city or quiet? And where did you stay?
I applied for Law, Politics and Philosophy :smile:
Thank you! :smile: Is it a lively city or quiet? And where did you stay?
I applied for Law, Politics and Philosophy :smile:

I'd say it was quiet, but it's got a really lively student presence! I stayed around Newland Avenue, as I didn't go into Halls. Which halls have you applied for?

Awesome, I had a couple of friends doing Philosophy and they really enjoyed it :smile:
Hello :-)
My brother has got into Hull and Derby uni, and had his heart set on going to Derby, but I've heard Hull is a lot better? He's doing a computer programming course and apparently most of the major games companies go straight to Hull to recruit (which is ultimately what he wants to be doing, making games :-))
Just wondered what you thought, as I think he should go to Hull!
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I'd say it was quiet, but it's got a really lively student presence! I stayed around Newland Avenue, as I didn't go into Halls. Which halls have you applied for?

Awesome, I had a couple of friends doing Philosophy and they really enjoyed it :smile:

Ah shame that it's quiet. There's not much to do? (Other than pubs and restaurants that is :smile: )
I applied to the student houses, they seem alright! What did you study at Hull? :smile:
Ah shame that it's quiet. There's not much to do? (Other than pubs and restaurants that is :smile: )
I applied to the student houses, they seem alright! What did you study at Hull? :smile:

I did History!

What kind of stuff do you like to do...? :smile:
Original post by EnjoyTheView
Hello :-)
My brother has got into Hull and Derby uni, and had his heart set on going to Derby, but I've heard Hull is a lot better? He's doing a computer programming course and apparently most of the major games companies go straight to Hull to recruit (which is ultimately what he wants to be doing, making games :-))
Just wondered what you thought, as I think he should go to Hull!

Hey, I don't know about games companies recruiting from Hull, but if Hull has a better reputation for computer programming then maybe that's the better choice? :smile:

Either way, your brother should go where he thinks he'll be happiest! :smile:
I did History!

What kind of stuff do you like to do...? :smile:

History is cool! Was on the verge of doing it. :smile:
I like malls, historical places, lovely views, beaches... :smile:
I stayed around Newland Avenue, as I didn't go into Halls.

What are the Uni owned houses like? how many people per house? are there bedrooms downstairs? and whats the internet like?

Thanks
Original post by jakescott
What are the Uni owned houses like? how many people per house? are there bedrooms downstairs? and whats the internet like?

Thanks

I lived in a Uni owned house actually! We had 5 people but it might vary from house to house. Bedrooms downstairs. (Actually, pretty much all the houses around that area have pretty much the same layout as they're terraced housing). :smile:

Internet was good IIRC, not wireless though, LAN cable only. This was a few years ago though, so that might have changed. :dontknow: My room was a decent size too and had its own sink. Again, that might vary from house to house though :smile:
What's the best accommodation for hull uni mate ?
It's been a few years since I left, but if you have any questions about the Uni or living in Hull fire away!

:woo:

Good luck to everyone getting their results today!

Could I get some help please seeing as you did History!

I missed my offer at the University of Birmingham, so I called up Hull, and they have reserved me a space until Monday. I have withdrawn from my insurance because I didn't want to go there in the end, but I am getting stressed with my degree. I have applied for History and English joint honours but I keep having doubts, purely if this is the right course for me, and if I actually want to do it. Ontop of that, moving out would be scary because I haven't mentally prepared for it and I would miss my family SO much, we are really close and my mum's having a baby, so I wouldn't be around to see her grow up. My friend at Hull said that it's good and I would love it, but I am worried I won't make friends and be so far away from home...

Also, the course. I don't feel 100% sure if I would like it and then I would drop out. I am terrified of hating it. I had intense A levels and I barely read as much as I did before as I had time, so I am scared of hating it. My friends are saying that I am good at those subjects and that being indecisive doesn't help, and that I am over thinking it all. But I WISH I was 100% 'yes, I want to do this course' although, my friend said he hated his degree by third year and that you have to try it in order to love it or hate it. And that my friend said I was lucky as clearing was intense this year.

I like what I see for the course modules, so I think my problem is if I can't cope, or because I haven't enjoyed reading for pleasure in a while, that I might not like that, and just missing my family allot.

I am not sure what other degree I would undertake.
Just giving this a sneaky bump as results day is coming up for this year and people might have questions :ninja:
Reply 15
Hi Puddles the monkey!

Just a very quick One for you. Im moving into Taylor court in September to study languages. Upon reading through the freshers week antics, it appears that most of this is catered around drinking. I do not drink...... Am I going to be perceived as boring and old for not partaking in the antics?
It is worrying me a little now that I am not going to fit in after reading a lot of students experiences.
Original post by ExRN
Hi Puddles the monkey!

Just a very quick One for you. Im moving into Taylor court in September to study languages. Upon reading through the freshers week antics, it appears that most of this is catered around drinking. I do not drink...... Am I going to be perceived as boring and old for not partaking in the antics?
It is worrying me a little now that I am not going to fit in after reading a lot of students experiences.

Heya :h:

That's the general vibe pushed around freshers at loads of universities, but I wouldn't worry too much as you won't be the only person who doesn't drink.

You're not going to be perceived as boring just because you don't :smile:. I think so long as you make the effort to go out and meet people, or arrange social stuff that's not based around drinking you'll always be able to make friends. Hanging out in the SU or going to the pub with your housemates is still a good idea even if you're drinking a soft drink. I don't know if you enjoy clubbing or things like that, but if it makes any difference I was teetotal for about a year, still went out dancing, and nobody could even tell I wasn't drinking*. :biggrin: I guess what I'm trying to say is that not drinking doesn't automatically exclude you from all those activities and won't ruin your student experience.

I'd go to Freshers fair and check out all the societies & sign up for a few that interest you :h: That way you can make friends outside of the pub/club culture. House parties are also a lovely way to get to know people, or just inviting a group of people round to cook together and watch a film or play board games or something :smile:

I hope that helps :smile:

*Maybe I should be concerned about this :erm:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Hi, I'm from Malaysia actually, going to Hull in the coming Sept

Since I'm university houses, and I don't drink nor smoke, I'm actually afraid that I will be having problems with my housemates

Any idea how they gonna allocate our housemate for us? Thanks!
Reply 18
Original post by nivota
Hi, I'm from Malaysia actually, going to Hull in the coming Sept

Since I'm university houses, and I don't drink nor smoke, I'm actually afraid that I will be having problems with my housemates

Any idea how they gonna allocate our housemate for us? Thanks!

On your form I think there was an option to write how you are as a person e.g whether you are sociable etc. Housemate allocation takes this into account. You don't have to drink if you don't want to.

Original post by ExRN
Hi Puddles the monkey!

As mentioned above,you don't have to drink. Plus there are quite a few fresher events that are not based on drinking. Check out WelcomeFest in the upcoming weeks for more information.
How many hours of lectures/tutorials did you get per week?

Quick Reply

Latest