The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dobby98
Anyone know if Uni of Sheffield is lenient at all? I need a AAA but I'm looking at a AAB or ABB... :frown:

Me too:smile:
I wanted to do biomedical science at sussex university, i got predicted BBB. (bio,chem,psych)
and they wanted AAB-ABB. i still got in :h:
Applied to Glasgow last week with AAABBB (needed AAAAB). Don’t think I’d get in and honestly thought I’d be rejected after going to an open days and them saying to not even bother applying if you didn’t get the grades because they wouldn’t even look at your application.

However, 4 days after I sent in my application I got back an unconditional offer!!!
Hey this is kinda a grade success story, I didn't get any offers for uni after interviews but I got the grades - I rang them up and they gave me an offer! So there's still hope if you don't get an offer from your favourite choice :smile:
Hi, I received offer from University of Edinburgh with condition ABB (International Applicant), I only got BCC, do I have chance? Similarly, received conditional offer from Manchester (AAA), and Nottingham (AAB), I doubt that I have any more chance for these 2 universities.
Original post by czw168
Hi, I received offer from University of Edinburgh with condition ABB (International Applicant), I only got BCC, do I have chance? Similarly, received conditional offer from Manchester (AAA), and Nottingham (AAB), I doubt that I have any more chance for these 2 universities.

Edinburgh are notoriously strict when it come to accepting candidates with lower grades than their offer. However Manchester, and to an extent Nottingham, are much more lenient considering they are also Russell Group universities, however since your offers are for higher grades I can't be sure. I personally have received an offer for Edinburgh for ABB which I am going to put as my firm, and Newcastle is my insurance at AAB, because it is more likely that they will consider me if I miss the grades.

Have you looked at any courses you might consider going to if you were put into clearing? It might be worth doing so if you think you will get BCC. Good luck!
Hey, what is a 2:1?
Original post by lavender_l1ly
Hey, what is a 2:1?

its a university classification.. you have a 1st Class 1:1, two-one 2:1, a two-two 2:2, a third 3rd and a fail..
basically a first class is 70%+ and is a grade A, a two-one is 60-69% and is a grade B, a two-two is 50-59% and a grade c, a third is a 40-49% and is D..
Original post by Banshee123
WOW thats amazing, did you have mitigating circumstances ???

Nope no mitigating circumstances :smile:
I got into uni in 2014 to study BA (Hons.) Architecture. The course had entry requirements of A B B, which I missed by a large margin. As with nearly all architecture schools, they interviewed applicants for the course. One is expected to bring a portfolio of work to the interview, which at this stage would typically consist mainly of artwork with a little work to show your enthusiasm for architecture.

My portfolio was strong and my interview went as well as it could of done, and in the end I was accepted onto the course with B E E (a total of 7 grades below the requirements). It just goes to show the importance of an interview.

I have since worked in practice for a reputable London-based firm and I'm now finalising my studies for my Masters on a really good course. One shouldn't let poor results at A-level dictate their life; in my case, they made little difference to the outcome of my choices. (I do, however, accept that I am an exceptional example here - nobody else I know who's in my position now did quite as poorly at A-level).
When I applied for the University of Kent for Cultural Studies and Media with Journalism in 2017/18, their entry requirements were BBB. I was confident I could achieve the grades, but when A-Levels came around I struggle with one of my courses in particular. Ultimately, I obtained ABC. Technically I missed the requirements, but I refreshed UCAS and it said I was still accepted!

Three years later, and I have just graduated from my undergrad degree with a 2:1, and now I'm continuing my studies into a masters in Marketing at the University of Kent.

Achieving your grades with not the most important thing. Your work experience and extra curriculum activities, your personal statement and your interviews, if you have them, all create the profile of you. The University knows how hard-working and determined you are from all of this, and not just your grades. So keep calm, try and relax until results day, and everything will be fine...

- Nathan

Latest

Trending

Trending