The Student Room Group

"I missed my grades, but I got in to uni!!!" success stories

EDIT: Welcome to the mega "I missed my grades, but I got in to uni!!!" thread! This is the stories of many years of students who missed their grades, but still got into the uni of their choice.

Want to see what grades your chosen uni has previously accepted? You can search this thread to find posts about your university (or course) by doing this (also works on mobile):

Attachment not found

Good luck!
--------------------------------

Yep. Two whole grades. Mwahaha. The downside to this of course is that I'm incredibly frustrated about my failure, but I can't lie, I am over the moon about uni :biggrin:

I'd like to tell myself that they really liked me but actually I just reckon it was an unpopular course.

Anyone else have stories about not meeting the offers but getting in regardless?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Nuttyclorox
Yep. Two whole grades. Mwahaha. The downside to this of course is that I'm incredibly frustrated about my failure, but I can't lie, I am over the moon about uni :biggrin:

I'd like to tell myself that they really liked me but actually I just reckon it was an unpopular course.

Anyone else have stories about not meeting the offers but getting in regardless?

Lots of people :smile:

Remember the A Levels were only the key to open this door

Congratulations on your place :biggrin:
Reply 2
Missed it by 80 points and STILL got in. I thought it was a technical error then I saw the post letter downstairs, then the emails. I couldn't believe it! I must have had a secret unconditional offer or nobody wanted to do the course
Reply 3
Original post by Nuttyclorox

Yeah i know what you mean about the failure, everyone keeps saying "what are you upset about? you're in" but those are still my grades and it is quite upsetting :frown: - but apparently nobody cares about A levels anyway :biggrin:
Reply 4
Friends sister got into York with two grades less than the offer.
Reply 5
When I applied to uni in 2009, my conditional offer was BBB , i got CDD so yeah went on track expecting a rejection and low and behold an unconditional offer, i was stunned , i screamed and danced around like an idiot , they didnt make a mistake though got a 1st in my degree :smile: ....don't worry ulle be fine and once your in the real world nobody cares about A levels...
Yeah my friend told me yesterday that her friend had an conditional at a top uni that required 3 A's which she was predicted to get, she got BCC and still got in, quite surprised

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got in with BBC despite needing ABB

Still, I'm unhappy with my results; two of the grades were very close to going up.
Reply 8
Missed my offer by a grade (offer was AAA and I got AAB) ... still got in to Imperial.

It's strange but I hardly know anyone who actually got their grades, even though they all got in anyway O.o
Congrats. One of my friends in college got into his insurance with CCD (his offer was BBC). That remains the most extreme example I've actually heard. He got a 2:1 in the end.
Reply 10
They lower the points at clearing i remember law being 240 at clearing when i worked on the hotlines.
I only missed by 20 points but to be honest I was 1 UMS off a B overall :\ so I'm hoping to remark that.

Achieved ACC and needed at least BBB
I needed BDD and I got CDE. Pleasantly surprised that I still got in!!

Edit: this is for Wolverhampton, children and special needs course

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
just curious, what universities and courses are you guys referring to? :smile:
which 'university' is this?
I needed BCC to get into Man met, got BCD and got in. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
i didn't get in to my firm choice but got into my insurance i with 40 points short too, the course is psychology at portsmouth. However my friend didn't get in to computing when the offer (i think) was bbc or bcc and she got dee but she's got into leeds met now instead through clearing
Seriously? I missed my offer by 40 points and didn't get in my firm. Got accepted by my insurance choice though. I suppose it's good that the uni is ten minutes away on the bus. WIN
I have a friend who needed AAA and got CCC and still got accepted....
Certain universities put up higher grade requirements to show a facade of high standards but then take much lower to fill the required spaces when the better students go elsewhere.
For my insurance (Portsmouth, Journalism) I needed BBB (300 points) and I got CCC but they have taken me, disappointed with my grades as I was predicted higher and had been achieving higher but I'm so glad I got in!

Latest