The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

any success stories for soas?
Original post by kayleighprowen
Bit worried here guys... Nottingham have already dropped my offer from AAB to ABB, I believe it's because because they are my predicted grades. Does this mean I'm more likely to not get any leniency if I miss a grade?! Has anyone got a place confirmed at Nottingham when they've miss their grades? All opinions welcome! Thanks in advance :-)

Hey my offer for Nottingham was dropped from A*AA to AAA and I only got AAB and they still let me in - hope that gives you some hope. A lot of my mates here doing a range of course basically bar medicine and law didn't get their grades either. Good luck!
Original post by chem@uni
Not sure what you mean? What year are you in
. Let's say a Uni expects me to get AAA to obtain a place, yet for AS I'll get AAB. How would this work?
Original post by patricio_miguel
. Let's say a Uni expects me to get AAA to obtain a place, yet for AS I'll get AAB. How would this work?

What school year are you in, im not 100% you quite know how applying to uni works, you apply after you get your AS results
What school year are you in, im not 100% you quite know how applying to uni works, you apply after you get your AS results
I know that's why I'm asking. If I get AAB and the minimum offer is AAA does that mean they're not going to consider my application?
I know that's why I'm asking. If I get AAB and the minimum offer is AAA does that mean they're not going to consider my application?

Oh I understand now, it may make it more difficult to get them to make you an offer but no it doesn't mean they wont consider you, they look at all aspects of your application some do very heavily focus on A-Level grades others on your GCSE grades more and some nearly entirely do it on your personal statement. As long as your make sure you have a good personal statement that shows you love your subject you will get an offer even if you are one grade below at AS
Oh I understand now, it may make it more difficult to get them to make you an offer but no it doesn't mean they wont consider you, they look at all aspects of your application some do very heavily focus on A-Level grades others on your GCSE grades more and some nearly entirely do it on your personal statement. As long as your make sure you have a good personal statement that shows you love your subject you will get an offer even if you are one grade below at AS
thank you so much! It's just the aspect which states "minimum offer" that threw me off
Reply 787
I haven't read through all of the 31 pages but has anyone been accepted without the required GCSE grades?
I.e. going to university next year (2016) and the university wants a B in maths and english, I have a C in english and I was wondering how important are the GCSE grades if you have other entry requirements?
what if the B (lower grade than expected) is in the subject I want to study? :/
Original post by help!!!!!!!!!!

my friends offer was A*AA she got AAA for law and got in
Reply 790
Original post by help!!!!!!!!!!

Hello! I've been accepted into SOAS to do BA Korean - the grade requirements are AAB and I've got BBE and no language a level.

I am a mature student and had emailed SOAS beforehand asking about grades and total points but they told me I'd need to get more qualifications and better grades to get in - I applied anyway on the off chance (my main focus was actually on a different uni with lower requirements at that point) and they invited me for an interview!

Two weeks later I had an offer, they just wanted photocopies of my certificates. :smile:
So keep in mind, it's not just grades! A lot of importance is on the personal statement and then interview.
Good luck!
Original post by Xiggie
Hello! I've been accepted into SOAS to do BA Korean - the grade requirements are AAB and I've got BBE and no language a level.

I am a mature student and had emailed SOAS beforehand asking about grades and total points but they told me I'd need to get more qualifications and better grades to get in - I applied anyway on the off chance (my main focus was actually on a different uni with lower requirements at that point) and they invited me for an interview!

Two weeks later I had an offer, they just wanted photocopies of my certificates. :smile:
So keep in mind, it's not just grades! A lot of importance is on the personal statement and then interview.
Good luck!

i hope this is me :frown: i want to study a combined degree with korean
what if the B (lower grade than expected) is in the subject I want to study? :/

It depends on the Uni, I really cant be specific some might be okay and mark it as a negative then weigh up your application as a whole, others may decide that the B is the end of that application and wont look at it anymore
Reply 793
Well done !!!!!! For what course ?
Any near miss stories with Queen Mary and their Economics course?

And what about UCL? :smile:
Any success stories for Derby?

I'm only doing 2 A Levels so I'll need AA to make up the tariff points needed. Quite worried, I only got AB at AS.
Any success stories and Loughborough University???

And if possible from the computer science department

In particular ITMB????!
Original post by yasminbell
I needed 280 Points aka BBC but i only got BCC. I was convinced i didn't get it but i then received a text and email confirming i had been accepted and got a place in my firm choice! checked UCAS and it was true and even my back up uni (Bournemouth) accepted me and they had higher grade requirements!! was over the moon :smile:

What subject was this for?? :smile: I have an offer from Bournemouth for 300 points (BBB) to do Psychology but I think I'm only going to get 280! Panicking that I won't be accepted! :s-smilie:
Just wanted to hear people's tales who didn't meet their offer but were still accepted, looking for examples.

Mainly for Russell Group Universities as I have applied for those.

:smile::smile::smile:
Original post by Joshb873
Just wanted to hear people's tales who didn't meet their offer but were still accepted, looking for examples.

Mainly for Russell Group Universities as I have applied for those.

:smile::smile::smile:

Look through the thread this has been merged into.

Latest

Trending

Trending