The Student Room Group

Bit of help for university application

right so I got my AS results back today, not as good as I hoped/expected. I got BCC but the two C's were very close to B's. I was hoping to apply to sussex/ Lancaster standard university, but obviously not with those grades :frown: Should I apply to lower uni's? Maybe ask my teachers for high predictions? Or should I apply to university after I get my A2 results?

I'm confident I can end up with at least ABB, maybe AAB. But of course, my results today don't reflect that. Any advice grealyt appreciated!
Original post by jimbo007
right so I got my AS results back today, not as good as I hoped/expected. I got BCC but the two C's were very close to B's. I was hoping to apply to sussex/ Lancaster standard university, but obviously not with those grades :frown: Should I apply to lower uni's? Maybe ask my teachers for high predictions? Or should I apply to university after I get my A2 results?

I'm confident I can end up with at least ABB, maybe AAB. But of course, my results today don't reflect that. Any advice grealyt appreciated!

You need to find out what your school is going to predict

You will apply to 5 anyway - your dream 2 plus some back up universities
Hope for the best, plan for the worst!
Reply 3

You need to have a conversation with your teachers early next term about whether these results are what they expected or not. The problem with just asking for high predictions is that unless your reference makes it clear that the AS level results were out of line with your general performance, unis will look at the gap between the AS (known) and A2 (predicted) and draw their own conclusions. If you did get an offer based on those predictions, it might be really challenging to meet it, so you end up missing out on other unis that were within your grasp.

We advise that people should have a mix of choices, keeping the risky ones down to one or two. Depending on the course, and what your teachers say, Sussex or Lancaster might still be possibilities but you would need to mix them up with unis asking for A2 grades similar to the AS level grades you have achieved so far.

Hello,

First things first, try not to worry. If you feel confident in getting ABB/AAB overall then make sure your firm choice reflects that. You can always make your insurance choice slightly lower, just in case you don't get as high as you thought. Speak to your teachers and they will be able to give you a better idea about what you may get overall next year.

Hope that helps :smile:

Reece
(Student Ambassador - Undergraduate Biomedical Science, Postgraduate Marketing)
Reply 5
Original post by Minerva
You need to have a conversation with your teachers early next term about whether these results are what they expected or not. The problem with just asking for high predictions is that unless your reference makes it clear that the AS level results were out of line with your general performance, unis will look at the gap between the AS (known) and A2 (predicted) and draw their own conclusions. If you did get an offer based on those predictions, it might be really challenging to meet it, so you end up missing out on other unis that were within your grasp.

We advise that people should have a mix of choices, keeping the risky ones down to one or two. Depending on the course, and what your teachers say, Sussex or Lancaster might still be possibilities but you would need to mix them up with unis asking for A2 grades similar to the AS level grades you have achieved so far.

That's great advice thank you. I talked to my teachers before exams and was expected ABBD in all subjects. In fairness I was only a couple of marks off an ABB today- I scored right at the top of the grade boundaries for each subject. Will universities take this into account or just look at the letter? thank you
Reply 6
That's great advice thank you. I talked to my teachers before exams and was expected ABBD in all subjects. In fairness I was only a couple of marks off an ABB today- I scored right at the top of the grade boundaries for each subject. Will universities take this into account or just look at the letter? thank you
That you were close to the next grade boundary can be mentioned in your reference, or you can put your UMS rather than the grade in the section where you declare your qualifications.
Reply 7
Original post by Minerva
That you were close to the next grade boundary can be mentioned in your reference, or you can put your UMS rather than the grade in the section where you declare your qualifications.

Ahh that's great, you've been very good help thank you!
Reply 8
Ahh that's great, you've been very good help thank you!
Glad it was useful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending