The Student Room Group

Clearing & References - Help Needed!

Hi,

I never applied for university during the original application period, and was originally completely uninterested in the idea of going to uni.

In the past few months, I've had quite a big change of heart regarding university, and I'm looking to get in through clearing.

My entire application is pretty much sorted now except for references. I haven't done my application through college and have thus not got a buzzword or anything from them to get a reference that way and won't be able to anyway as the internal application deadline was all the way back in October, when I didn't see the appeal of university.

Because of this, I've asked my teachers for references and I don't want to rush them or anything as I can appreciate it's the middle of summer and they're humans who need to enjoy their spare time as much as us, but it's been a couple of weeks now without any response. And with results day and the clearing deadline approaching quicker every day, I'm starting to get a little bit worried. I've never been employed either, so I can't even fall back on a supervisor or employer to give me a reference instead.

I've not been able to find any info on what to actually do in this situation, so I may as well just ask here to see if I can get any advice and/or support I may have missed.

Thanks in advance! :smile:
Hi there, I understand you're in a bit of a difficult situation but, it's nothing to worry about. Have you undertaken any voluntary work before by any chance? you could ask someone you worked with for a reference through this. Otherwise, I'd recommend contacting the University(or Universities) directly and explaining your situation and confirming whether they will accept this on your application and explain your circumstances, some universities will and some will still require one, there is an option to not include a reference on your application through UCAS but best to confirm this before submitting.

Hope this helps! what are you applying to study?
Reply 2
Original post by CamembertPaws
Hi there, I understand you're in a bit of a difficult situation but, it's nothing to worry about. Have you undertaken any voluntary work before by any chance? you could ask someone you worked with for a reference through this. Otherwise, I'd recommend contacting the University(or Universities) directly and explaining your situation and confirming whether they will accept this on your application and explain your circumstances, some universities will and some will still require one, there is an option to not include a reference on your application through UCAS but best to confirm this before submitting.

Hope this helps! what are you applying to study?

Hi, Thanks for the quick response. I am currently doing some volunteering with my local radio station, but I've only been there for a few weeks so I don't think it would be appropriate to ask them for a reference. I did do some volunteering with an organisation for over a year around 2019-21, but the organisation closed down shortly after and while I am sure I could probably track down one of the people I worked with, it seems a bit like more trouble than it's worth. I'll have to think a bit more about that option though.

I'm looking at doing sports journalism, I'm not 100% firm on any unis just yet but Sheffield Hallam and a couple of the more sport-oriented ones in Manchester (UCFB + UA92) are advertising clearing for their courses on UCAS, so it'll likely be one of those three.

Do you know where I could contact these unis directly, or is it as simple as just using the clearing contacts on the website?
I see, hmm that is a tricky one. If you are able to get in touch with someone I don't see the harm in asking, but as I said you are able to submit without the reference it is just dependent on the preferences of your chosen universities, again, worth explaining all of this to them when you reach out.

Try using our handy Clearing Thread here, most universities will have a direct Clearing phone number or form to fill out if you don't mind waiting a little bit for a response, which will vary for each institution. You have plenty of time so don't panic, if you need any more support please don't hesitate to reach out and I'll try my best to help.
I would just call your previous school/college and see if they have a reference on file for you. It's common for them to write one for all students even if they are not planning on applying for uni.
Reply 5
Original post by CamembertPaws
I see, hmm that is a tricky one. If you are able to get in touch with someone I don't see the harm in asking, but as I said you are able to submit without the reference it is just dependent on the preferences of your chosen universities, again, worth explaining all of this to them when you reach out.

Try using our handy Clearing Thread here, most universities will have a direct Clearing phone number or form to fill out if you don't mind waiting a little bit for a response, which will vary for each institution. You have plenty of time so don't panic, if you need any more support please don't hesitate to reach out and I'll try my best to help.

I suppose there's no harm in contacting them - If they still want a reference I can always just chase the college some more just in case they do have one on file for me like the last reply suggested. Thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending