The Student Room Group

Resolution 2006/23: Concerning Membership of all countries

nightowl's
Resolution Concerning Membership of all countries in the TSR Model United Nations

Committee: Political
Submitted by: Singapore

The General Assembly of The United Nations,

Noting All countries need equal amount of representation, whether they are currently in the news or not,
Noting with deep concern The trend of certain members moving around countries depending on whether that said country is in the news or not,

1. Requests that upon a member selecting a country they want to represent, they must stay representing that country for a minimum of 30 days, allowing a "buffer zone" starting at 26 days so they can nominate themselves if a Security Council country becomes available, as long as the predicted date of the completed election is within the members 30 day limit;
2. Proclaims That upon that country being elected to a non permanent seat, that member is obliged to stay in that seat with the same country for the 60 day period of the Non permanent term;.
3. Further proclaims That upon a country accepting a permanent seat in the Security Council, they are obliged to stay in that position for a minimum of 60 days;
4. Authorises The Secretary General and the Security Council to terminate said obligation by passing a Vote of No Confidence, which is initiated in the General Assembly;
5. Encourages Activity in the Model UN;
6. Congratulates Our new Secretary General, Apollo, on his recent electoral success
Reply 1
Any debate here?
Reply 2
I don't think so. (Unless anyone wants clause 6 removed :p:)
Reply 3
Funny :p:
Reply 4
Australia has already voiced all of her concerns and suggestions in the UNGA, and will vote in favour of this resolution.
Reply 5
Just a heads up to everyone in the Security Council:

Australia's Foreign Minister Alexander Downer will visit East Timor 3 to 4 September to attend the third Australia-Indonesia-East Timor Trilateral Ministerial Meeting in Dili.

The trilateral meeting comes at an important time in the development of close and cooperative relations between Australia and two of our closest neighbours.

It would also give Australia the opportunity to engage East Timorese Foreign Minister José Luis Guterres and Indonesian Foreign Minister Dr Hassan Wirajuda on a range of security and economic developments in our immediate region. Besides that, they will cooperative approaches to countering the shared threat of terrorism and transnational crime.

Discussion will also include the outlook for East Timor, including the role Australian-led international security forces will play on the ground to support the new UN Mission in East Timor (UNMIT).
Reply 6
Nutter
Just a heads up to everyone in the Security Council:

Australia's Foreign Minister Alexander Downer will visit East Timor 3 to 4 September to attend the third Australia-Indonesia-East Timor Trilateral Ministerial Meeting in Dili.

The trilateral meeting comes at an important time in the development of close and cooperative relations between Australia and two of our closest neighbours.

It would also give Australia the opportunity to engage East Timorese Foreign Minister José Luis Guterres and Indonesian Foreign Minister Dr Hassan Wirajuda on a range of security and economic developments in our immediate region. Besides that, they will cooperative approaches to countering the shared threat of terrorism and transnational crime.

Discussion will also include the outlook for East Timor, including the role Australian-led international security forces will play on the ground to support the new UN Mission in East Timor (UNMIT).

Mmmm okay... i don't see how that has anything to do with this resolution, but alright.

The UK unconditionally supports this motion.
Reply 7
Knogle
Mmmm okay... i don't see how that has anything to do with this resolution, but alright.

The UK unconditionally supports this motion.

It's to keep the SC informed of Australia's efforts to maintain peace, security and stability in the country.
Reply 8
The United States expresses its support of this resolution.
allowing a "buffer zone" starting at 26 days so they can nominate themselves if a Security Council country becomes available, as long as the predicted date of the completed election is within the members 30 day limit

Could someone explain this buffer zone thing please? Why would the election be within the 30 day limit, and how does the buffer zone work - it comes into action inbetween day 26 and day 30, or ends on day 26?
Reply 10
Thank you Apollo.

France is in full support of this resolution in it's current state; we are, however, open to any changes and will happily consider all suggestions.
Reply 11
*considers vetoing*:p:
Reply 12
Would anyone care to adress TAIB's concerns? :p:
Reply 13
Apollo
Would anyone care to adress TAIB's concerns? :p:

I would but I'm personally confused at what he's saying myself. :redface:

Could definitely be simplified and made more explicit.
Reply 14
I think he's basically saying that you must represent the same country for at least 30 days, but you can stand for a SC seat after 26 days as long as the election will last longer than 4 days (in other words, making sure you will represent the same nation for 30 days).
Reply 15
Ahh fair enough, that does make sense. :smile:
Ok I'm voting yes, but could we work on the wording in the final thing?
Reply 17
Australia has now placed her vote in favour of this resolution, and is pleased to see similar opinions from other members.

Latest

Trending

Trending