The Student Room Group

Inexpensive costume advice for Gatsby themed party (Male)

I've never been to a Gatsby themed party before and I'll probably end up attending one in a few weeks time for freshers week. Ideally I don't want to spend a lot of money because I'll be living off student loans as it is and that's all available to me. I'll only be using the outfit for one day too then I'll likely never wear it ever again. What should I buy?!? :chaplin:

Spoiler

I wouldn't get a suit, especially at a freshers event it's likely to get ruined. Most universities would be sensible enough to not have an expensive freshers theme.

Is this for a formal dinner type event or a more drinking type thing?

Smart grey trousers (£20)
Slim fit white shirt (£15)
Braces (£5)
Hat (£5)

You can find braces and hats pretty easily at charity shops. Some of them are probably even authentic 20s.

Just for day to day life you'll usually need a decent white shirt and some smart trousers. You could switch the shirt out for a Henley if it's a less formal thing and you want something a little different.
Reply 2
Original post by Narcissist
I wouldn't get a suit, especially at a freshers event it's likely to get ruined. Most universities would be sensible enough to not have an expensive freshers theme.

Is this for a formal dinner type event or a more drinking type thing?

Smart grey trousers (£20)
Slim fit white shirt (£15)
Braces (£5)
Hat (£5)

You can find braces and hats pretty easily at charity shops. Some of them are probably even authentic 20s.

Just for day to day life you'll usually need a decent white shirt and some smart trousers. You could switch the shirt out for a Henley if it's a less formal thing and you want something a little different.

Nice one fella, repped. Will probably end up going with this look, looks simple but good. Should just be a drinking kind of party as opposed to formal dinner and stuff. All these fancy dress events are going to kill my bank account. :happy2:

Quick Reply

Latest