The Student Room Group

Nursing or Midwifery?

I want to be a midwife but i know the course is very competative. Would it make more sense to do a nursing degree because i know after you can do a fast midwifery course, and i would have more options as a qualified nurse i think.
What are your opinions on this? :smile: Im going into year12 so i have some time to decide as well.
They're getting rid of most of the 18 month conversion courses so if you trained as a nurse first there's a good chance that you then wouldn't be able to do the 18 month course! If you want to be a midwife you might as well just apply for midwifery, get good grades and lots of experience and you have just as much chance as everyone elsse :smile:
Original post by BekaLou
I want to be a midwife but i know the course is very competative. Would it make more sense to do a nursing degree because i know after you can do a fast midwifery course, and i would have more options as a qualified nurse i think.
What are your opinions on this? :smile: Im going into year12 so i have some time to decide as well.

Yes I agree with the post above.

I am a qualified adult nurse and I wish I had done midwifery - the opportunities are probably just as wide for both - i.e. travel abroad etc, Didn't know they were getting rid of the 18 month course - but I am getting too old to do it anyway - it would mean taking a huge pay cut.

Go for midders
Reply 3
Original post by A future Midwife
They're getting rid of most of the 18 month conversion courses so if you trained as a nurse first there's a good chance that you then wouldn't be able to do the 18 month course! If you want to be a midwife you might as well just apply for midwifery, get good grades and lots of experience and you have just as much chance as everyone elsse :smile:

Yes, i was thinking that but they seem to be all rumours from 2009/2011 and lots of unis still offer the 18 month course, the uni i am looking at even reccomended the idea.
I know i have the same chance but that chance is scarily small, the uni in question said that they had had 900 applications for 22 places

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending