The Student Room Group

Is a level physics for me?

Hi guys. Just wanted to see if physics is fir me. Im going to take biology, chemistry and maths but unsure about the 4th. I dont particularly enjoy physics and didnt like it at gcse. However i heard theres lots of maths and i enjoy maths. Should i take physics on that basis and is it one of those subjects you can do well at if you dont even enjoy it. Thanks.
There is quite a bit of explanation in Physics A-level but if you have the foundation of the principles in terms of the equations you should be able to do quite well. But if you really don't like the subject then don't do it as it will become a hindrance to you in your other subjects.
Depends on your teacher and your will to learn it. I have met 4 really terrible physics teachers so take a risk and do it or choose something else
Well I've only done AS and I'd say the maths was basic and it was mostly explanations - if you don't like it don't take it
If you don't like it you'll be less motivated to work for it. I didn't like physics and didn't do too well in it. But if you're planning to drop it by A2 you can see how you go if you can't think of a 4th you'd rather take
Reply 5
There is bugger all interesting maths in it at AS, so you shouldn't take it for that reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Trouty97
There is bugger all interesting maths in it at AS, so you shouldn't take it for that reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This.

Take something else, not worth the risk/effort needed.
Reply 7
No. The maths is deliberately basic in Physics A-level so as to not disadvantage those who don't take maths. If you don't like it, don't study it, because you won't be able to motivate yourself to understand the concepts. Having said that, I personally found it far more interesting at A-level than GCSE, so if you aren't sure about it try finding out more about what the A-level syllabus is like and see if it interests you.
I was in same position, did well at GCSE but really didn't enjoy it. I took it at AS level this year and came out with fairly good result but it's honestly not worth it if you don't enjoy it! It's definitely doable but I really hated it, every lesson dragged and I am dropping it this year... I wouldn't take it if I were you. Do something you enjoy!! Unless physics is really necessary to what you wanna do at uni :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
And the maths is rubbish. If in doubt you just multiply all the numbers in the question together and usually end up with the right answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiya

I think you shouldnt risk it. Dont take Physics unless you have actual passion for it or its a requirement for your course in university.

In my first time AS I hated the subject and got an E. Even though I got an A at GCSE. I retook AS Physics again with much more hard work got an A.

But then the subject got more harder and it wasnt my strongest or most exciting subject for me, regardless of the maths elements in it and ended up with a C at A Level.

Soo if you pick Physics just as a choice for AS and then drop it, dont choose it as its time consuming and not work the risk of doing worse on your other subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest