The Student Room Group

Mature students 2015 university applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hello Everyone! Bit late to the party here but...

What are you currently studying/have studied. I am currently studying a whole new bunch of a-levels, chem,bio & geography, at a further college.
Which universities are you applying to. Royal Veterinary College London, Surrey University & Liverpool
Which course(s) do you want to do. Veterinary Medicine
Any other info you feel like sharing. I'm 25 years old, living in Northern Ireland and I've received conditional offers to study veterinary medicine in RVC & Surrey. So I'm over the moon!

...Also pretty nervous about going to university at 25, being an oldie trying to keep up with the young'uns lol. Ill be living in halls for the first year no doubt as I am coming from Ireland and don't know London very well.
Good luck everyone for whichever courses you are doing! Its nice to know there are other people returning to education in their mid twenties!
Reply 381
Original post by Jason13
Did you get offered a foundation year or go straight onto the first year? I am in a similar boat as you, I am 26 not got great great qualifications, expect an NVQ level 3 mechanical eng, I got offers for HNC's but would prefer a first year mech degree

I'm doing the extended degree (4 years), first year being engineering and mathematics. I thought it would be the best option seeing as I haven't been school in 8 years and I have basic GCSEs. I have 8 years in the motor trade with a level 3 NVQ and I'm a qualified fire fighter, uni life will defiantly be a shock to the system. Did you apply for Sheffield also?
What are you currently studying/have studied. Access course in social sciences and humanities :smile:
Maths 1, Maths 2, English, sociology, statistical research with ict, anatomy and physiology, research methods and psychology 🙈
Which universities are you applying to.
I had applied to LJMU, Teeside, QUB, Manchester and Northumbria, but I've firmed LJMU :smile:

Which course(s) do you want to do.
Law.

Any other info you feel like sharing.
I'm 24 and although I don't really see myself as a "mature" as I'm probably the biggest kid at heart ever, I can't help but feel daunted at the fact I will be living with teenagers, although I will give them a run for their money!!
It's quite a relief to see a few older people going to uni. I'm only 21 I've had two years out working and I'm now going to LJMU to study Building Surveying. I can guarantee I'll give the young ens a run for their money but nice to see a few 20+ starters.
Original post by BurtonSF49
It's quite a relief to see a few older people going to uni. I'm only 21 I've had two years out working and I'm now going to LJMU to study Building Surveying. I can guarantee I'll give the young ens a run for their money but nice to see a few 20+ starters.

It's so good to see!! At least I won't be feeling all alien like on my own :smile: lol!! Oh yay another one for LJMU, have you applied for accommodation yet?
Original post by Dianedottybow
It's so good to see!! At least I won't be feeling all alien like on my own :smile: lol!! Oh yay another one for LJMU, have you applied for accommodation yet?

I'm almost certain I'll be applying for accom at Marybone I'm just gunna wait until the 21st Feb(applicant day) to 100% decide. I'm just thinking save money on accom so I can use it living and getting hammered haha.
Haha fair enough!! I've applied for Europa, Grenville and clv, I'm a girl I need my en-suite and double bed lol although I will be preloading my bags with alchohal before I go 😂
Original post by Dianedottybow
Haha fair enough!! I've applied for Europa, Grenville and clv, I'm a girl I need my en-suite and double bed lol although I will be preloading my bags with alchohal before I go 😂

Honestly if I could afford an ensuite I would, it's just for a year I'm thinking I'll be fine with just the basics. I'll probably be out at other people's accomadation most of the time hahah
Reply 388
Hello everyone! :smile:

What are you currently studying/have studied: I have the Italian equivalent of a BA in oral and written translation from and into Italian, English, and French (the official name is Intercultural Linguistic Mediation, which is just big words for interpreting and translation lol)

Which universities are you applying to:

I have applied to UCL, LSE, Durham University, University of Kent, and University of Leicester. Got rejected from the first two (bit disappointed), but I received three offers form the others, thinking about firming Durham.

Which course(s) do you want to do: biological/social anthropology (undergrad)

Any other info you feel like sharing:
I'm 22, I'm Italian, and I've got way too many interests for my own good (namely modern languages and history/anthropology). I'm taking a gap year working to finance my studies abroad, and because I realized a career in translation wasn't exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.
Reply 389
Meh, rejection fron m LSE. Mixed emotions about it.

1) I wasn't expecting to get in because of a mix of previous level of education (I live in an extremely deprived area and my previous education reflected that.) and obvious class descrimination. I have the whole anger 'I'm not surprised because only those well off to get good education get to go there and my comprehensive barely had a 50% pass rate.' And it pisses me off from a sociological standpoint (I'm basically a humanist Marxist). They used the 'couldn't stand the rigour' well I'd be able to IF THE GOVERNMENT EQUALISED ALL EDUCATION AND REMOVED THE TRIPARTITE SYSTEM. SIGH.

2) I'm glad because I couldn't afford it anyway lmao.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ale192

What are you currently studying/have studied: I have the Italian equivalent of a BA in oral and written translation from and into Italian, English, and French (the official name is Intercultural Linguistic Mediation, which is just big words for interpreting and translation lol)

I have applied to UCL, LSE, Durham University, University of Kent, and University of Leicester. Got rejected from the first two (bit disappointed), but I received three offers form the others, thinking about firming Durham.

I'm 22, I'm Italian, and I've got way too many interests for my own good (namely modern languages and history/anthropology). I'm taking a gap year working to finance my studies abroad, and because I realized a career in translation wasn't exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

Woo, Anthropology! That was my undergrad major (Sociology and Cultural Anthropology) but not because that's what I wanted to do. I just really loved the subject matter and that it would attribute to my writing. Getting my MA in Creative Writing for Film and Television.
Original post by RFTS123
Hi Chloe

I'm currently completing an access course in humanities and social sciences and hoping to do English degree in spetember so I'd appreciate any tips you can give me. This has been my dream for as long as I can remember but I'm now starting to doubt my abilities as standard in English is so high.

Hi!

Are there any specific questions you have? My big tip would just be to read as much as you can, you never know where you might use even the most obscure books!

Stay confident and stay focused, we have people from all backgrounds coming to Kingston, I have a good friend on my course who is a mature student and she is getting top grades even with three boys to look after!

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with!

Chloe :smile:
Student Ambassador
What are you currently studying/have studying?
Access to HE: Science
Which universities are you applying to: Birmingham Met College, Northampton, Cardiff and Brighton
Which course(s) do you want to do: Podiatry
Any other info you feel like sharing. Mature student, will be the grand old age of 27 when I start. Got an interview at BMet tomorrow, nervy :frown:
Reply 393
I'm currently studying psychology, sociology and history on the Access to HE (following the social sciences pathway)
I've applied at Liverpool, York, Bath, Leeds and Middlesex
I have received offers from Liverpool, Leeds and Middlesex and waiting to hear from the others.
I have applied for social policy and sociology with social policy!
What are you currently studying/have studied. Not studying at the moment, got good GCSE's though (A*s, A's and B's)
Which universities are you applying to. Nottingham Trent
Which course(s) do you want to do. Broadcast journalism and journalism
Any other info you feel like sharing I'm 28, it's a bit scary! Got an interview/assessment this week.
Original post by ale192

Bonasera! Good to see another Durham hopeful.
Hi all, just wanted to see if anyone has studying abroad as a secondary option? If so which universities are you looking at?
I'm a 2016 starter but I'll join in on the fun.

What are you currently studying/have studied. - I'll be studying an Access to HE in Humanities
Which universities are you applying to. Reading, Portsmouth, Cardiff (possibly), Nottingham (possibly), Manchester or Salford.
Which course(s) do you want to do. International Relations (with Politics depending on choice)
Any other info you feel like sharing. I'm 22, 23 in a few months time. I'll be going back to college in September (which I have been accepted onto the access) I did initially have an idea of doing Nursing but then went against that and applied for Humanities.
What are you currently studying/have studied. HNC Social Sciences.
Which universities are you applying to. Glasgow, Stirling, Strathclyde, Edinburgh & Aberdeen
Which course(s) do you want to do. Politics
Any other info you feel like sharing. I'm 37 years old, mum to five childlings. Grew up in England and moved to Scotland so juggling qualification translations of 3 different qualification systems between myself and my older children.
Still don't know what I want to do when I grow up, but I loved doing Higher Modern Studies when I decided to try going back to college to get more qualifications, so I am following my interests to see where they take me.
Currently holding offers from Glasgow (Conditional) and Stirling and Strathclyde (both Unconditionals)
Original post by LilBlueBug
What are you currently studying/have studied. HNC Social Sciences.
Which universities are you applying to. Glasgow, Stirling, Strathclyde, Edinburgh & Aberdeen
Which course(s) do you want to do. Politics
Any other info you feel like sharing. I'm 37 years old, mum to five childlings. Grew up in England and moved to Scotland so juggling qualification translations of 3 different qualification systems between myself and my older children.
Still don't know what I want to do when I grow up, but I loved doing Higher Modern Studies when I decided to try going back to college to get more qualifications, so I am following my interests to see where they take me.
Currently holding offers from Glasgow (Conditional) and Stirling and Strathclyde (both Unconditionals)

Made me laugh when you said you still don't know what you want to do 'when you grow up' :biggrin: best of luck to you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending