The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews 2014 Applicants (2015 entry)

Hi everyone!

I thought to create a thread for all us St Andrews applicants out there so we can find people applying for our same course, and just discuss about how great St Andrews is! :smile:

Just write what you are applying for and anything about yourself :biggrin:

I'll start: I am applying for Social Anthropology MA, I got ABBB in my AS-Levels, and I am interested in debating, MUN, charity work (my school's InterACT club President) and reading ANYTHING :biggrin:

Get posting!
Liv x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey!

I am also thinking about applying for social anthropology; however, I already have my a level results...

Where else are you considering applying to? :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by elliew01
hey!

I am also thinking about applying for social anthropology; however, I already have my a level results...

Where else are you considering applying to? :smile:

Hi! :smile: how did your alevels go?
I am considering Durham, Oxford, Aberdeen and Manchester :smile: what about you? Are you taking a gap year? :smile:
Hello! I'm Maddy and I'm applying for psychology. I got my highers this year but I'm one grade short of the AAAB requirement so everything is sort of hanging on this year.

I think I'm also going to apply to Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Strathclyde and Heriot-Watt (or Sterling instead of Heriot). :P
Reply 4
Original post by GoldenAge
Hello! I'm Maddy and I'm applying for psychology. I got my highers this year but I'm one grade short of the AAAB requirement so everything is sort of hanging on this year.

I think I'm also going to apply to Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Strathclyde and Heriot-Watt (or Sterling instead of Heriot). :P

Hi Maddie! :smile: I hope you'll still have a chance to apply to St Andrews!
I am assuming you are Scottish? Have you been to the Aberdeen open day? If yes, how did you find the university? Unfortunately I will not have a chance to visit so I'm relying on people who've been there to tell me what's like :biggrin:
Reply 5
I will be applying to St Andrews for Classics. Only one of my 5 choices that will be in Scotland. I was considering Edinburgh for a while but decided against it! If I do go I'll be coming from all the way down in South London, so it'll be a wonderful change of scenery. :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Robertus
I will be applying to St Andrews for Classics. Only one of my 5 choices that will be in Scotland. I was considering Edinburgh for a while but decided against it! If I do go I'll be coming from all the way down in South London, so it'll be a wonderful change of scenery. :biggrin:

that sounds good! :smile: I hope you will get an offer! and classics is such an interesting subject! I've studied Latin for 6 years and I've thoroughly enjoyed it :smile: good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by LivK
that sounds good! :smile: I hope you will get an offer! and classics is such an interesting subject! I've studied Latin for 6 years and I've thoroughly enjoyed it :smile: good luck!

I haven't actually studied Latin at all, funnily enough! So I imagine it'll be a challenge to pick up at university level, but definitely well worth it. :biggrin: I do Classical Civilisation as an A Level so I'm already well familiar with the historical/literary side of Classics. Here's hoping I get the offer! Haven't decided on what my firm choice might be when the time comes but St Andrews is definitely one of my best bets.
I think I will be applying for Computer Science with AAB...although we'll see if I'll get an offer with my borderline grades haha
I'll be applying for Sustainable Development with AAAB :biggrin:
Original post by GoldenAge

Hey Maddy, as someone about to start Psychology at St Andrews I urge you to apply regardless of your grades. Make sure your PS is as good as it can be and work all throughout your S6 so that you're prepared to be given conditions (unless you get your unconditional!). As far as I'm aware the course isn't too overly subscribed this year so hopefully it's the same next year!

Feel free to ask any questions you have! Good Luck!
Original post by LivK
Hi Maddie! :smile: I hope you'll still have a chance to apply to St Andrews!
I am assuming you are Scottish? Have you been to the Aberdeen open day? If yes, how did you find the university? Unfortunately I will not have a chance to visit so I'm relying on people who've been there to tell me what's like :biggrin:

I didn't go to the Aberdeen open day, I thought about I only found out about a few days before however I have been around the uni buildings before and it all seems rather well put together. I'm not too keen on Aberdeen, but the only reason is because I live relatively near by so I'm in the city a lot. If I lived anywhere else it would probably be my second choice though. :smile:

Original post by kerrydouglas
Hey Maddy, as someone about to start Psychology at St Andrews I urge you to apply regardless of your grades. Make sure your PS is as good as it can be and work all throughout your S6 so that you're prepared to be given conditions (unless you get your unconditional!). As far as I'm aware the course isn't too overly subscribed this year so hopefully it's the same next year!

Feel free to ask any questions you have! Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice! I'm hopeful that everything will turn out okay provided I work hard this year. I spoke to the admissions officer and he advised me on the classes I'm taking this year as well as what grades I would probably need for a conditional. I hope you have a blast at St Andrews, the psychology course sounds amazing! :biggrin:
Hey guys,

I'm also going to be applying to do Psychology at university. I have achieved ABB at my AS levels and will hopefully be going to either Cardiff, Bristol, Bath, Swansea or Reading. I'm just wondering, what do you think makes a great personal statement for somebody hoping to do Psychology?
Hey everyone! I'm looking to apply to St Andrews to study biochemistry - anyone else?

I went to the open day on 16th April and absolutely fell in love with the town, it's beautiful and I love that it's by the sea! I disagree when people say it's too small, personally I'm quite shy and not into huge cities so it's pretty good for me, especially as I've lived in London all my life.

I'm also looking to apply to York, Edinburgh, Leicester and Birmingham :h:

I'm excited but also very nervous :erm:

EDIT: oh and I got AAAA at AS :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Hi all! I just got my A level results: A* in English literature, A in history, B in maths and an A* in my Extended project.

I hope to apply for History following a GAP year - any other historians out there? I'm sure that the requirements are AAA so i don't know if they are going to accept my grades or not!

I turned down an offer to study at UCL this year (too poor! Haha) I'm from the outskirts of London so I'm really excited by the prospect of uni in Scotland :smile:
Original post by lindzjonez
Hey guys,

I'm also going to be applying to do Psychology at university. I have achieved ABB at my AS levels and will hopefully be going to either Cardiff, Bristol, Bath, Swansea or Reading. I'm just wondering, what do you think makes a great personal statement for somebody hoping to do Psychology?

If you have an idea of what area of psych interests you most then you're in for a win, in my opinion! I'm interested in child/developmental/educational psychology and showed a genuine interest in my PS. All my work experience and volunteer work have been with children, mainly with struggling children.

You honestly just need to show how interested you are, what you see yourself doing with the degree in 3/4 years time. Also, remember they want to see that you'll take part in the wider life of university so talk about the extra curricular things you do too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by exxkirst
Hi all! I just got my A level results: A* in English literature, A in history, B in maths and an A* in my Extended project.

I hope to apply for History following a GAP year - any other historians out there? I'm sure that the requirements are AAA so i don't know if they are going to accept my grades or not!

I turned down an offer to study at UCL this year (too poor! Haha) I'm from the outskirts of London so I'm really excited by the prospect of uni in Scotland :smile:

I want to do history aswell :smile: what was your epq on? :tongue:
Hey! I'm Samantha and I'm applying this year to St. Andrews for a degree in history! I got my higher results and managed to pull off 5 A's so fingers crossed I'll be able to get in, even if my guidance tutor has massive doubts !

I'm so excited to send away my application. I've visited St. Andrews so many times and it looks AMAZING!! Good god I get more excited every day :smile:
Original post by Sammmantha
Hey! I'm Samantha and I'm applying this year to St. Andrews for a degree in history! I got my higher results and managed to pull off 5 A's so fingers crossed I'll be able to get in, even if my guidance tutor has massive doubts !

I'm so excited to send away my application. I've visited St. Andrews so many times and it looks AMAZING!! Good god I get more excited every day :smile:

Wow well done for getting 5 As! Just make sure you have an amazing PS to go along with them!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kerrydouglas
Wow well done for getting 5 As! Just make sure you have an amazing PS to go along with them!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much! Any advice you can give on personal statements would be greatly appreciated haha! :smile: :P

Quick Reply