The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews 2014 Applicants (2015 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys,
Applying to do Economics & Statistics
AS Levels - AABBC Predicted - A*AA
Also applied to Lancaster, Loughborough, Leeds and Reading. Received all 4 of those now waiting on the big one!!!
Wanted to know if there are any other Economics applicants out there???
And if anyone other than internationals have received an offer?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by ssswims
I'm curious -- when did you send in your application?

On 10th of October. They promised to contact me within 10 working days, but it took them twice as long..
Original post by arinagrantaire
On 10th of October. They promised to contact me within 10 working days, but it took them twice as long..

Great, thanks! I submitted mine a week ago so I suppose that I still have some wait before I get my decision :/
Original post by stephendagostino
Hi,
I was recently accepted to St. Andrews for an MA in Economics and Social Anthropology and I'm an American. I attend a highly acclaimed school in the New York City metropolitan region. I scored a 2160 on my SAT (w: 800, m: 680, r: 680). Looking to connect with other accepted American students and/or those Americans who are planning to apply for 2015 admission! Currently, saying that I gain admission to BC (Boston College), my decision will be between the two universities.

I'm an American student who was given an unconditional offer to St. A's. I'm currently deciding where I want to firm, Edinburgh or St. A. I'm leaning towards Edinburgh, but I may end up at St. Andrews. Congrats on your acceptance:smile:
Original post by ssswims
Great, thanks! I submitted mine a week ago so I suppose that I still have some wait before I get my decision :/

They are really slow, so don't worry. I even had to call them!

Not accepting their offer though :biggrin:

Where are you from and which course do you want to study btw?
They are really slow, so don't worry. I even had to call them!

Not accepting their offer though :biggrin:

Where are you from and which course do you want to study btw?

St A's is one of my top choices but don't know if I'll actually end up there either. I'm from New Jersey, USA, and I applied for joint honors Middle Eastern Studies & Modern History.
Original post by ssswims
St A's is one of my top choices but don't know if I'll actually end up there either. I'm from New Jersey, USA, and I applied for joint honors Middle Eastern Studies & Modern History.

Oh wow, that sounds interesting! And I'm just curious - what are your other choices?
Original post by nellybelly29
I'm an American student who was given an unconditional offer to St. A's. I'm currently deciding where I want to firm, Edinburgh or St. A. I'm leaning towards Edinburgh, but I may end up at St. Andrews. Congrats on your acceptance:smile:

Hey, nellybelly29, not sure if you remember me. I still haven't got an offer -- St Andrews were waiting for my SAT Physics score (which came out last week), so I just sent it to them on Tuesday last week. (I did well on them, so I hope they consider an unconditional for me! I technically meet all the minimum requirements set out on their website, even without IB).

I'm still nervous -- I haven't heard of anyone getting an offer in Physics yet. I'm guessing they just haven't started yet, but I'm getting anxious. It's been 5 weeks since I first submitted my application in September! I hope that doesn't mean they've forgotten about me...

I haven't had the willpower to look through all of the posts, but has anyone got an offer for Physics yet? My friend at school, who also applied for Physics at St Andrews, hasn't got one yet either.
Oh wow, that sounds interesting! And I'm just curious - what are your other choices?

Yes, the course is so fascinating-- which was a huge factor in picking St. A's (too many good options in the UK, haha). I'm also applying Oxford, UCL, KCL, and Durham, and if I don't get in any of those I'll probably apply Edinburgh for UCAS extra :smile:
Original post by bestsnow
Hey, nellybelly29, not sure if you remember me. I still haven't got an offer -- St Andrews were waiting for my SAT Physics score (which came out last week), so I just sent it to them on Tuesday last week. (I did well on them, so I hope they consider an unconditional for me! I technically meet all the minimum requirements set out on their website, even without IB).

I'm still nervous -- I haven't heard of anyone getting an offer in Physics yet. I'm guessing they just haven't started yet, but I'm getting anxious. It's been 5 weeks since I first submitted my application in September! I hope that doesn't mean they've forgotten about me...

I haven't had the willpower to look through all of the posts, but has anyone got an offer for Physics yet? My friend at school, who also applied for Physics at St Andrews, hasn't got one yet either.

They definitely haven't forgotten you! Don't be nervous (easier said than done I know). You've hit the minimum requirements which is the hardest part!

I've been watching this thread pretty closely and I don't remember seeing anyone with an offer for physics, so I'm sure you're still fine:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys! Applied for International Relation and Russian. St Andrews looks like such a great uni and love the choice of other languages! My AS grades were AAAA and my predicted are A*A*A (politics, history and Spanish) . No idea about the chance of getting an offer as I hear the course is really competitive :frown: good luck to you all!!
Hey guys. Im also an international applicant. Does anyone know what exactly is their four weeks policy? I applied on 15th Oct so when will be the last date for them to give me a response? THX

BTW no one applies for History of Art????
Original post by Suriishappy
Hey guys. Im also an international applicant. Does anyone know what exactly is their four weeks policy? I applied on 15th Oct so when will be the last date for them to give me a response? THX

BTW no one applies for History of Art????

For American students, at least, they told me that they try to get you a decision within 4 weeks after you send it in. You have about a week left, I think. I'm assuming that's the same for all international students (because they like our money).

Of course, that's dependent on whether you get all your official test scores in on time. Because I took an additional test after I applied, they decided to wait for that (so it's 5 weeks, 2 days and counting for me!).

This is for everyone: what days and times did you guys get offers from St Andrews? Both of the other universities that gave me offers posted them on Track on a Friday between 5 and 6pm GMT.
Original post by bestsnow
For American students, at least, they told me that they try to get you a decision within 4 weeks after you send it in. You have about a week left, I think. I'm assuming that's the same for all international students (because they like our money).

Of course, that's dependent on whether you get all your official test scores in on time. Because I took an additional test after I applied, they decided to wait for that (so it's 5 weeks, 2 days and counting for me!).

This is for everyone: what days and times did you guys get offers from St Andrews? Both of the other universities that gave me offers posted them on Track on a Friday between 5 and 6pm GMT.

I received my offer from St. Andrews around 1:00 GMT on Friday, October 24. I submitted my UCAS on September 29.
Got an offer for MA Economics, 38 IB points, no specific requirements :biggrin:
Still waiting for other unis to reply. Any other Economics offer-holders?
I wonder, since its MA 4 year programme, would I be able to get my Bachelors after 3 years still (might change uni then for masters)?
Original post by badalyan
Got an offer for MA Economics, 38 IB points, no specific requirements :biggrin:
Still waiting for other unis to reply. Any other Economics offer-holders?
I wonder, since its MA 4 year programme, would I be able to get my Bachelors after 3 years still (might change uni then for masters)?

MA at an ancient university doesn't mean a masters in the sense you're thinking. At an ancient Univeristy (Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Oxbridge, Aberdeen) undergraduate degrees in most areas (usually excluding sciences) are called an MA not a BA. So if you were to study at a Scottish University, you need to study for four years.

I hope that made sense. The simple answer to your question is, no. You would have to complete your four years and then switch Unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nellybelly29
MA at an ancient university doesn't mean a masters in the sense you're thinking. At an ancient Univeristy (Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Oxbridge, Aberdeen) undergraduate degrees in most areas (usually excluding sciences) are called an MA not a BA. So if you were to study at a Scottish University, you need to study for four years.

I hope that made sense. The simple answer to your question is, no. You would have to complete your four years and then switch Unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah thanks for clarifying that :smile:
Ok, four years then Nelly.
Original post by 123bella
Just a warning here, I started St Andrews this September and I'm dropping out

Can you tell us why?
Reply 198
any modern languages applicants?
Original post by Infinity_4652
Can you tell us why?

Yes, please! I was planning on firming it if they offered me a place:s-smilie:

Quick Reply