The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews 2014 Applicants (2015 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Any biology replies?! Getting really worried.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Mollypeta
Has anyone received an offer for Maths?

Nope! I've been waiting to hear since October :frown:
Original post by Kiirra
Any biology replies?! Getting really worried.

I'm still waiting for Biology!
Reply 1583
Thank goodness! It's the one I'm waiting on and the one I want most.
I'm still waiting to hear about a philosophy application!! Hopefully this means the philosophy department are now actively responding!

Excited :smile:
Does it mean I'm on a reserve list or something if they still haven't said anything?? I never thought St.A would be the annoying uni!:sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by small_circles
Does it mean I'm on a reserve list or something if they still haven't said anything?? I never thought St.A would be the annoying uni!:sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah i know what you mean, i kind of get the impression that we're in a maybe pile, they like us so they haven't rejected us but there still unsure about who to give an offer to...

its probably just the case that they are taking there time going through all the applicants but it does sometimes feel like we've been put on a waitlist.
Reply 1587
I just received a UCAS Track update that I've been rejected from MPhys Astrophysics. Tbh, I'm really disappointed, because St Andrews was my first choice, along with Imperial. I'm also kind of surprised, as my predicted grades were 40 points and 766 in HLs with 7 in Physics [so sth like A*AA with A* in Physics] and their entrance requirements are 38 points [or AAA].

In the justification they say I was "in competition with applicants who were stronger academically" and that even though their asking rates are high, there are more and more applicants who are holding or predicted grades higher than these which they require and hence some highly qualified applicants can't be offered a place, as the University doesn't have enough places.

Well, that's a real bummer, especially considering the fact that it's my first rejection (I've got 3 offers so far) and I hope it's gonna be the last :/
Original post by Ella1996
We might see us then in September, as I will probably firm my offer for Latin! :biggrin:

Great! See you then! :biggrin:
Original post by azulu
I just received a UCAS Track update that I've been rejected from MPhys Astrophysics. Tbh, I'm really disappointed, because St Andrews was my first choice, along with Imperial. I'm also kind of surprised, as my predicted grades were 40 points and 766 in HLs with 7 in Physics [so sth like A*AA with A* in Physics] and their entrance requirements are 38 points [or AAA].

In the justification they say I was "in competition with applicants who were stronger academically" and that even though their asking rates are high, there are more and more applicants who are holding or predicted grades higher than these which they require and hence some highly qualified applicants can't be offered a place, as the University doesn't have enough places.

Well, that's a real bummer, especially considering the fact that it's my first rejection (I've got 3 offers so far) and I hope it's gonna be the last :/

I'm very sorry to hear that, it is evidently quite a disappointment for you. However you're very mature in your approach to their reasoning and seem to have taken things in your stride.
Of course it may not be what you were planning however, whichever university you attend will be luck to have you and I'm certain you'll excel and be extremely happy wherever you go.
Best of luck.
Unfortunately you were in competition with applicants who were stronger academically. Our asking rates are high, but every year the proportion of applicants already holding, or predicted to obtain grades higher than our asking rates increases. As a result this means some highly qualified candidates have not been offered admission to the University as we simply do not have enough places.

rejection for IR + russian! I'm not upset to be honest, cause I'm waiting for my first choice, Edinburgh. Best luck for all of u waiting for offers, and even the ones who are already in. U have definetely deserved it, and I wish you to enjoy such a beautiful experience in a such prestigious university! :smile:
Original post by Cosimo96
Unfortunately you were in competition with applicants who were stronger academically. Our asking rates are high, but every year the proportion of applicants already holding, or predicted to obtain grades higher than our asking rates increases. As a result this means some highly qualified candidates have not been offered admission to the University as we simply do not have enough places.

rejection for IR + russian! I'm not upset to be honest, cause I'm waiting for my first choice, Edinburgh. Best luck for all of u waiting for offers, and even the ones who are already in. U have definetely deserved it, and I wish you to enjoy such a beautiful experience in a such prestigious university! :smile:

I'm sorry to hear that. You have a very adult attitude regarding this and I wish you all the best with Edinburgh - it's also a fantastic university and sure you'll enjoy the city.
Still waiting for Medieval History

:<
Reply 1593

Yup, that's exactly the same. Just one question: what were your predicted grades compared to the requirements? I wonder how common it is to reject applicants with predicted grades even higher than the typical offer.
Original post by azulu
Yup, that's exactly the same. Just one question: what were your predicted grades compared to the requirements? I wonder how common it is to reject applicants with predicted grades even higher than the typical offer.

I'm Italian so I have different conditions but I can try to make it clear. Our final exam is assessed by examinators from other schools, so it's obviously quite difficult making an exact prevision. From a minimum of 60 to a maximum of 100, my predicted grades were minimum 95 (that's not so common btw). I know entry requirements were AAA which corresponds to 90 here in Italy. So u can see that's not so fair to be rejected in this way, and this is reason for which for Italians could be more difficult receiving an offer. However did u receive other offers??

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1595
I'm Italian so I have different conditions but I can try to make it clear. Our final exam is assessed by examinators from other schools, so it's obviously quite difficult making an exact prevision. From a minimum of 60 to a maximum of 100, my predicted grades were minimum 95 (that's not so common btw). I know entry requirements were AAA which corresponds to 90 here in Italy. So u can see that's not so fair to be rejected in this way, and this is reason for which for Italians could be more difficult receiving an offer. However did u receive other offers??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I have so far received offers from my 3rd, 4th and 5th choices (Bath, Surrey and Exeter) and I'm quite pleased with them. However, I was also kind of surprised that Surrey gave me an extra condition: normally they require 36 points (out of 45, it's IB), but in my offer, they also ask for 6 in Maths and Physics HL, which makes it slightly more difficult to achieve. As I said, I'm still waiting for decision from Imperial, but my hopes are kind of down at the moment, because if a school with requirements of 38 pts rejects my application with 40 pts, then I guess an offer from Imperial which requires 40 pts and 766 is even less possible.
Btw, I got an offer from Bath only after like 2 weeks after my application and they have the same requirements as St Andrews, so I guess StA really has a problem with places.
Original post by CaitlinDy
I'm sorry to hear that. You have a very adult attitude regarding this and I wish you all the best with Edinburgh - it's also a fantastic university and sure you'll enjoy the city.

Thank you I would need good news. Only rejections so far, just because I chose competitive courses. Seeing the actual trend, I expect the last two rejections from Edinburgh in the next few days... however I'm trying to take the best out of this period spent on ucas, and be positive though it's hard

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1597
Thank you I would need good news. Only rejections so far, just because I chose competitive courses. Seeing the actual trend, I expect the last two rejections from Edinburgh in the next few days... however I'm trying to take the best out of this period spent on ucas, and be positive though it's hard

Posted from TSR Mobile

What other universities have you applied to? Are all of the courses IR + Russian?
Ucl and KCL (iR) rejected me for the same reasons as st. Andrews... luck is not one of my strength points ahah
Actually I decided to apply in UK because of Edinburgh (philosophy and politics, russian and politics), so that's why I'm so attached to it. Alternatively I have an italian uni, which could let me spend the first year in Buenos Aires studying IR. But I want Edinburgh, absolutely!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GoldenEmblem277
Just got rejected. Not surprised actually (I had been suspecting it for a while). Plus, I have several other really good Unis that I have applied for. I know my insurance, but I still don't know my firm.

Sorry to hear that. :frown: Why did you suspect?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending