The Student Room Group

Any one resitting A2 Modules?

Scroll to see replies

MY previous college won't let me retake there I have to go as a private candidate somewhere else. Anyone know what the prices are like

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lozasaurus99
Same here!! Does it have to be in present/past tense? Not sure :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I guess I just wanted to get most of it out of the way now:redface: and for my personal statement, I am going to talk about what I'm doing in my gap year, so present tense :smile: however everything else, so what I do outside of my studies, why I want to do my course at uni and the conclusion etc, I will keep all that the same from last year. :smile:
Original post by paige09
Yeah, I've already started mine, the only thing I need to do is my new personal statement, but I will do that once I've started my work experience/volunteer work. I want to send it off though round about the same time as I did last year which was early November.

I need to get started on my UCAS application soon, i've started to work on my PS but i dont know what to change from last year since i want to do the same course and also re-applying to 2 of my main unis from last year. I guess your referee can mention your resitting and so on but would you also need to clarify anything in your PS, stuck on that atm.
Original post by Mohid Khan
MY previous college won't let me retake there I have to go as a private candidate somewhere else. Anyone know what the prices are like

Posted from TSR Mobile

The exam board websites should have the prices on of how much it is to retake each module, however it's best to speak to someone at the college you'll be resitting at :smile:
Original post by ThePanoramicGame
I need to get started on my UCAS application soon, i've started to work on my PS but i dont know what to change from last year since i want to do the same course and also re-applying to 2 of my main unis from last year. I guess your referee can mention your resitting and so on but would you also need to clarify anything in your PS, stuck on that atm.

Yh, I'm applying to all the same unis apart from one, and my referee will mention that I am resitting, she also told me to mention this in my personal statement. I'm finding it difficult to change my personal statement as last year I got everything in and it was just under 47 lines, now I am worrying on how I'm going to fit all that in plus what I am doing in my gap year and keeping it withing the space available :confused:
Original post by paige09
Yh, I'm applying to all the same unis apart from one, and my referee will mention that I am resitting, she also told me to mention this in my personal statement. I'm finding it difficult to change my personal statement as last year I got everything in and it was just under 47 lines, now I am worrying on how I'm going to fit all that in plus what I am doing in my gap year and keeping it withing the space available :confused:

Yeah, same its gonna be some struggle, I need to go into sixth form and talk to my referee, since they can add things you want mentioned in their reference if you missed it in the PS and haven't discussed predicted grades with them so need to do that too.
Original post by paige09
They can put me in any day during the week as long as it adds up to a maximum of 16 hours, but I won't know what days I'm working until the week before. And I know exactly what you mean, it's so hard to get a weekend job as everyone is applying for them whether they're at school, college or uni. At the moment on each day I'm working 4 hour shifts so its not that bad, but like you I'd really honestly prefer to have my weekdays free to concentrate on my studies. And also I will have time I guess to revise after work, but knowing me, I will be really tired as my job involves a lot of running around. I think I might do the same as you and stay at it for a few months (I really need the money for the resits and driving lessons too) and then quit round about January time. How long have you had this job for? I've only just got it and I don't want them to be funny with me if I tell them my availability has changed so soon :frown:

I've been working a little job as a Pharmacy Assistant for the past year, but that was only gonna be for a year, so I started looking for other jobs and got one at Sainsburys a month ago. Then the manager of the Pharmacy left so I've ended up staying there a bit longer, but I'd like to leave because I hardly do anything there now as they've employed loads of people since I started! Plus I've been there a while anyway and I feel like it's time :P And with Sainsburys, it was only meant to be temporary anyway so I'd like something a bit more enjoyable and with less early morning hours (as my shifts there start at 5 :'( )

With your job, remember you've gotta put yourself first, so if they're not gonna help you out, tell em to shove it :wink: haha jk, if they're not gonna be flexible then maybe you could work there a few months to get money/experience then quit when you need more time to revise? Or you could book holiday periods to revise in? Don't give up applying for weekend jobs, something will come along eventually! That's what I'm hoping anyway :P
Ah they're really good unis!!! :smile: it's just I have to sit as an external candidate and then during April I'm going to travel and volunteer abroad. I'm thinking of qmul/Leicester/Southampton/Brunel/Greenwich. .but same as you I'd prefer the first three!!! Though I feel I may be risking it with qmul! My friend got in with three btecs which is a tradeoff compared to A level study!
Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile: Where are you going abroad? Are you volunteering independently or with a company? And go for QMUL! After all, with the volunteering and extracurricular stuff you'll be doing in your gap year, it'll make your personal statement stand out! I hope you get all your offers :smile:
Yeah thanks, a quick question: has anyone started UCAS applications or if not when are you planning to?

Filled in the basic personal details, just need to finish my personal statement and do a bit more work experience. I'm aiming to send mine off around late October/ early November to get it over and done with :smile:
Original post by Mohid Khan

Posted from TSR Mobile

£60/70 per unit due to exam fee of course around £20/30) then duration and augmentation/admin fee!:/ personally think they overcharge external candidates

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by coolerthanbeans
Filled in the basic personal details, just need to finish my personal statement and do a bit more work experience. I'm aiming to send mine off around late October/ early November to get it over and done with :smile:

Yeah that's when i sent it off last year, looking to the same again this year, main worry is predicted grades, my head of sixth form was very bitchy about it when i spoke to her after results week but my maths teacher is gonna do my reference, so need to speak to her about my predicted grades soon.
Yeah, same its gonna be some struggle, I need to go into sixth form and talk to my referee, since they can add things you want mentioned in their reference if you missed it in the PS and haven't discussed predicted grades with them so need to do that too.

Yhh, I've got to speak to them about predicted grades as well, they told me that it will got off my AS grade and they'll take into consideration the resit, hopefully this will be the same for you :smile:

I've been working a little job as a Pharmacy Assistant for the past year, but that was only gonna be for a year, so I started looking for other jobs and got one at Sainsburys a month ago. Then the manager of the Pharmacy left so I've ended up staying there a bit longer, but I'd like to leave because I hardly do anything there now as they've employed loads of people since I started! Plus I've been there a while anyway and I feel like it's time :P And with Sainsburys, it was only meant to be temporary anyway so I'd like something a bit more enjoyable and with less early morning hours (as my shifts there start at 5 :'( )

With your job, remember you've gotta put yourself first, so if they're not gonna help you out, tell em to shove it :wink: haha jk, if they're not gonna be flexible then maybe you could work there a few months to get money/experience then quit when you need more time to revise? Or you could book holiday periods to revise in? Don't give up applying for weekend jobs, something will come along eventually! That's what I'm hoping anyway :P

Yh I know what you mean about your Pharmacy job, the good thing though is you have all that experience which is really good for uni, know its not optometry based but still :biggrin: and oh my days! 5am starting shifts! :eek: I don't know how you do it! I definitely agree with you and think its best if you get a job where you're not working so early, I mean they should know you're still a student and us students aren't used to those early mornings :wink: and same to you, if they're not going to be flexible with you, you shouldn't take it either. I think that's what I'm going to end up doing, working there for a few months and then go and see if I can get a weekend job, and same to you! I hope you manage to get a weekend job that suits you, something will hopefully come along for you too! :smile:
Original post by paige09
Yeah, I guess I just wanted to get most of it out of the way now:redface: and for my personal statement, I am going to talk about what I'm doing in my gap year, so present tense :smile: however everything else, so what I do outside of my studies, why I want to do my course at uni and the conclusion etc, I will keep all that the same from last year. :smile:

What confuses me is the careers advisor said resitting A2s is not a good idea like say if someone has a low B grade it might just move up to a high B and she goes you should get A's as you've spent 3 years on the subject. She also said it has to be in the past tense :/?
Posted from TSR Mobile
:smile: Where are you going abroad? Are you volunteering independently or with a company? And go for QMUL! After all, with the volunteering and extracurricular stuff you'll be doing in your gap year, it'll make your personal statement stand out! I hope you get all your offers :smile:

Ahh..thanks :smile: I'm thinking of Mexico/Thailand/Costa Rica/Dubai internship! Might do quite a few! :smile: but..I firstly applied for politics and international relations, but now want to do European/international law which they may not like as I assume it's an oversubscribed course :/ that's what worried me really and people who get it the first time:/ what about your course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What confuses me is the careers advisor said resitting A2s is not a good idea like say if someone has a low B grade it might just move up to a high B and she goes you should get A's as you've spent 3 years on the subject. She also said it has to be in the past tense :/?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't really have a career adviser at college :frown: but then again, you have to do what's right for you, and if you know resitting will mean you getting a higher grade and getting into where you want then you do that. Also talk to the universities you want to go to and see what their opinion is on resit applicants. In my opinion career advisers don't always give the best advice, I had one at school and even though she was really nice, she wasn't very helpful :/
Ahh..thanks :smile: I'm thinking of Mexico/Thailand/Costa Rica/Dubai internship! Might do quite a few! :smile: but..I firstly applied for politics and international relations, but now want to do European/international law which they may not like as I assume it's an oversubscribed course :/ that's what worried me really and people who get it the first time:/ what about your course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's awesome! I'm not that much of a traveller myself so it sounds pretty impressive :smile: And don't worry about your course being oversubscribed, as long as you show your interest in it, spesh with your travelling and all, you'll be more than fine methinks :smile: I'll be applying for Optometry, which is apparently getting quite popular with its applications too since only a handful of unis offer it :/ But hopefully as well as revising/working I can get a bit more work experience in my gap year to at least show I'm committed lol :smile:
Original post by paige09

Yh I know what you mean about your Pharmacy job, the good thing though is you have all that experience which is really good for uni, know its not optometry based but still :biggrin: and oh my days! 5am starting shifts! :eek: I don't know how you do it! I definitely agree with you and think its best if you get a job where you're not working so early, I mean they should know you're still a student and us students aren't used to those early mornings :wink: and same to you, if they're not going to be flexible with you, you shouldn't take it either. I think that's what I'm going to end up doing, working there for a few months and then go and see if I can get a weekend job, and same to you! I hope you manage to get a weekend job that suits you, something will hopefully come along for you too! :smile:

I hope so! And hey, when you're desperate for money you gotta do whatcha gotta do, even if it means waking up at an ungodly hour :'( And ahh, the life of a student, eh? :P
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah that's when i sent it off last year, looking to the same again this year, main worry is predicted grades, my head of sixth form was very bitchy about it when i spoke to her after results week but my maths teacher is gonna do my reference, so need to speak to her about my predicted grades soon.

Wow, why was she bitchy? Surely because you're taking a gap year they'd know you'll have time to work on getting your predicted grades, so they'd be more understanding?

My head of Sixth Form apparently acted in a similar way to some people at my school for Results Day, it seems that they're happy to help when you attend the school then once you get your A2s they're not as helpful with gap year enquiries :frown:
Hey, when you're desperate for money you gotta do whatcha gotta do, even if it means waking up at an ungodly hour :'( And ahh, the life of a student, eh? :P

ahaa yh I suppose you're right :tongue:
Wow, why was she bitchy? Surely because you're taking a gap year they'd know you'll have time to work on getting your predicted grades, so they'd be more understanding?

My head of Sixth Form apparently acted in a similar way to some people at my school for Results Day, it seems that they're happy to help when you attend the school then once you get your A2s they're not as helpful with gap year enquiries :frown:

I have absolutely no clue, your a lot more likely to get your predicted grades with a gap year seeing as you've not only studied everything, you've sat every possible exam too, know everything you did etc. I bumped into my maths teacher luckily on my way out and she said she'll help and write my reference, so i would need to pop in and talk to her about the predicted grades section when she does write my reference.

Quick Reply

Latest