The Student Room Group

Reapplying to universities during gap year?

How do universities feel about this? I'm still waiting for a remark for my firm choice but I feel like I can do better than my insurance. Is it acceptable in the eyes of e.g. UCL, KCL to do this (intending to apply to them), and what about if I am applying to them for the second time? Also, can I use my personal statement again or would I need to write a new one?

This is seen as totally acceptable- However, you do need to consider the reasons the university rejected you previously. If these things haven't changed, you're likely to get another rejection.

You will need to write a new personal statement, although you can use aspects of the old one. Your new statement should reflect all the things that have changed since this time last year, including covering your plans for your gap year.
Reply 2
Also interested
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
This is seen as totally acceptable- However, you do need to consider the reasons the university rejected you previously. If these things haven't changed, you're likely to get another rejection.

You will need to write a new personal statement, although you can use aspects of the old one. Your new statement should reflect all the things that have changed since this time last year, including covering your plans for your gap year.

Thanks. The reason I'd be reapplying is because I was one grade off my firm's conditions. While I would probably reapply to them, I would also apply to other unis, two of which I applied to last time, one probably being my insurance (as I'd have already met the grades). I should clarify that I'm intending to retake a few modules if I do go ahead with the gap year.

Thanks for your help :smile:
As long as you're using your gap year productively and not just being a couch potato, I can't see any unis having a problem with it provided that you've met their grades.
You should change your personal statement a bit to reflect the new things you've learnt/ are doing in your gap year.
Reply 5
Are you going for reapply for the same course? Universities dont have an issue at all with it. Last year I applied to do pharmaceutical chemistry but didn't get in because of my BCC grades (which was a sign because I didn't want to do chemistry anymore). I then took a gap year and did some retakes and applied for nursing and received two unconditional offers and will be starting next march :smile: so my advice would be that if you really want to take a gap year to reapply, then definitely do it. It was the best decision I ever made because I went out and got a job, did voluntary work and improved on my grades - so unless you're super super lazy then I think you should! but don't let anyone else make the decision for you because only you know what's best for you. Btw if your insurance accepts you then will you be going to university this year?
I got BBB in my A-levels and thinking of taking a gap year and working (in the city) and resit my grades to at least get ABB/ AAB.... As in the future I will be looking for graduate programes ect , Im kinda afraid my grades will be considered 'low' in comparison to other 'higher achieving candidates'

Don't know if this is a worthwhile decision... as I already have a confirmed place @ University of Kent.....
Original post by mandyyy6
Btw if your insurance accepts you then will you be going to university this year?

Thanks to all for advice :smile: I do have a place at my insurance, which also really good, but I don't feel like it's the place for me, and this sounds really snobbish but I feel like I could do better. Especially for the career I want to go into (barrister), academics throughout are really important and therefore I feel like retakes would be beneficial as I really don't believe my achieved grades are representative of my effort this year and what I can achieve. Sorry if I sound really big-headed but it's something I've discussed with school and they agree. I think I'm definitely taking the year out (going to discuss with parents again) and I've got lots of possibilities for what I'm going to do - I physically can't sit around all day XD so I think I'll be ok.

Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending