The Student Room Group

Clinical science into Medicine route

Hi, I was thinking of doing the clinical science course with Foundation year and then apply to medicine at Sheffield university. It’s a one year course, but I don’t know how likely I can get in, please any advice would be appreciated
Reply 1
Work hard, keep on top of your work, ignore the people that say 1st year is easy. If you're doing a clinical or medicine related course, 1st year is not easy.

Try your best at the course even if your future goals are higher. I know most people that did not get into medicine on their first try take a gap year since it shows the universities they apply to in the future that they are only interested in medicine and have taken a year to get experience in the real world (and make some money on the side too :biggrin:) but gap years aren't for everyone...

At the end of the day, you need to do what you think is best for you, and your future, keeping in mind how it'll affect your mental and physical health. Perhaps you can look into gap year options? Or you can continue on the clinical science course. Whatever it is, I hope you are successful in your future endeavours
Original post by Rowina24
Hi, I was thinking of doing the clinical science course with Foundation year and then apply to medicine at Sheffield university. It’s a one year course, but I don’t know how likely I can get in, please any advice would be appreciated

Hi, it is up to you the approach you take to get into medicine. Unfortunately there is no guaranteed approach that will get you an offer. Gap years with experience would be the shortest and most inexpensive way to reapply - as you can work during your gap year. You could start or complete the clinical sciences course which will give you a great foundation for medicine and good clinical experience, however it will cost more money in the long term which is something you may need to think about. If you felt like you wanted to start university sooner, then the clinical medicine course is a great option, so it just depends what is more important to you at the moment.
Like the previous user said, working hard at whatever it is you are doing is the main thing. As long as you are passionate about medicine and commit yourself to improving and getting in, then your chances of being successful are much higher.
Good luck with everything! and if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending