The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know what to answer for this B question?

'Religious belief is not needed to understand nature.' Discuss.

My teacher's predicted it as the most likely B q to an A question on Natural Law
Original post by anniemp
Anyone got any tips on how to revise for tomorrow? I feel so unmotivated to learn stuff because I've just given up.

i feel exactly the same :frown:
Reply 982
I'ma end up flopping tomorrow as well.
Original post by angellec
Does anyone know what to answer for this B question?

'Religious belief is not needed to understand nature.' Discuss.

My teacher's predicted it as the most likely B q to an A question on Natural Law

Most likely talk about how NL can use either nature as source of authority or God.
Then talk about how NL can be divided into four parts:

Human Law
Natural Law
Divine Law
Eternal Law

and talk about how those link.

State that Aquinas thought human reason was given by God through the Bible and teachings from the church and that our eudaimonia is to reach God.

However, religious belief is needed if we taken into account some of the secondary precepts such as 'masturbation is wrong' in terms of the primary one of 'reproduction'

talk about how Vardy disagrees that every single sperm needs to recreate life.

Hope that helps!
In the question 'Explain how Kant’s ethics produces the highest good' is the question asking for us to go into depth on the 'Summum Bonnum' or is it asking something else?
Original post by abssy
I'ma end up flopping tomorrow as well.
get off the computer and go and revise.

Original post by anniemp
Anyone got any tips on how to revise for tomorrow? I feel so unmotivated to learn stuff because I've just given up.
is it your duty to follow the categorical imperative?? or is it just used to work out what actions are right or wrong? if anyone could explain how duty/the CI/good will relate I would appreciate it as I am very confused!
Original post by anniemp
Anyone else given up on revision and just want to book the retake now :frown:

👋👋 yup
Original post by WillNegForReps

that is fab advice thank you ahahha, i know i should i just feel unmotivated
Reply 989
Can someone please explains the difference between 'kingdom of ends' and 'people should be treated as ends in themselves not means to an end' - Kantian ethics
Original post by sophia.lega
Most likely talk about how NL can use either nature as source of authority or God.

Human Law
Natural Law
Divine Law
Eternal Law

State that Aquinas thought human reason was given by God through the Bible and teachings from the church and that our eudaimonia is to reach God.

However, religious belief is needed if we taken into account some of the secondary precepts such as 'masturbation is wrong' in terms of the primary one of 'reproduction'

Hope that helps!

wait so is natural law split into that hierarchy ? i am so confused to what natural law IS. i know the whole theory but i thought natural law just took authority from the divine and eternal laws
Original post by anniemp
that is fab advice thank you ahahha, i know i should i just feel unmotivated

you only feel unmotivated because you're on the computer and you've got nothing better to do. when you start revising, you'll feel more motivated about it. just close your laptop/computer and start revising. block out all the distractions.
Original post by WillNegForReps
you only feel unmotivated because you're on the computer and you've got nothing better to do. when you start revising, you'll feel more motivated about it. just close your laptop/computer and start revising. block out all the distractions.

okay, logging out right now ahah going to learn this!!
Original post by m1503_
Can someone please explains the difference between 'kingdom of ends' and 'people should be treated as ends in themselves not means to an end' - Kantian ethics

'kingdom of ends' is Kant's third maxim in the categorical imperative that says 'act as if you were a law-making member of a kingdom of ends' basically meaning Kant imagines a society full of moral people, and we can only act on moral actions that would be accepted by this rational community. In the 'Kingdom of Ends' everyone is treated as ends and not means, and everyone should act as if everyone had the same rights as themselves.

and then this is different to Kant's second maxim which is that he believes everyone has intrinsic value 'beyond all price' and therefore cannot be treated as a means to an end, but a means in themselves because otherwise you are using another human and degrading their value :smile:

hope this helps if not pm me :smile: XX
could anyone explain how duty links to the categorical imperative?
Original post by sophia.lega

Human Law
Natural Law
Divine Law
Eternal Law

Hope that helps!

thank you! :smile:
Original post by clancycal18
In the question 'Explain how Kant’s ethics produces the highest good' is the question asking for us to go into depth on the 'Summum Bonnum' or is it asking something else?

Same I don't understand what you would need to put in this essay, how to structure it etc
Reply 997
Anyone got an predictions for the ethics tomorrow? Someone may have already posted but I can't tell! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
In natural law can someone please explain ordinary and extraordinary means

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asdgytyubf
could anyone explain how duty links to the categorical imperative?

Well, Kant believed it is everyone's duty to be good, and for Kant, he believed for an action to be good, it must be done out of duty, and for it to be dutiful, it must be done for its own sake. For example, helping an old lady cross the street because its your duty to, not so that it makes you feel good about yourself.

He believed we have a sense of reason within us, and with this reason we use the categorical imperative to carry out actions. With our duty, he believed we use the categorical imperative to carry out true good actions, through the three maxims: if its universal, if its treating people as ends, not means, and if its acting as if you live in a kingdom of ends.

Hope this is useful.

Latest

Trending

Trending