The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How does everyone structure their essays - is it

Intro, AO1, AO2, AO1,AO2, AO1, AO2 and conclude more or less?
Original post by princesskimana
How does everyone structure their essays - is it

Intro, AO1, AO2, AO1,AO2, AO1, AO2 and conclude more or less?

Pretty much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have a model answer for structuring essays? Really confused about how to link in the AO1 with the evaluation..
I'm studying religious language at the moment, but don't fully understand the subject of symbol and myth; could someone possibly explain it to me?
Original post by kibster118
I'm studying religious language at the moment, but don't fully understand the subject of symbol and myth; could someone possibly explain it to me?

Okay so in brief:

Myth:
- Key proponent Bultmann
- Biblical stories/religious language may not necessarily be factually accurate, but it is a literary tool that we can use to uncover significant and meaningful truths - need to "demythologise" the Bible to discover its hidden truths.
- e.g. when looking at the creation story in Genesis, might not be true that God created the world in 6 days etc., but the meaning we gain is that he is omnipotent and involved with the world.
- someone (can't remember who) said "myth is a servant, not a master" which is a good quote to explain
- then evaluate it

Symbol:
- key proponent Tillich
- can use language to talk about God, but need to interpret it as symbolic i.e. points to something beyond itself and 'participates' in that something
- can open up new levels of reality + dimensions of the soul by using our soul to interpret the symbols
- also develop a deeper connection with God because we're not just taking the language literally at face value, but working to understand it
- pretty strong theory imo

hope this helps!
Do you ever feel like if you plan and think out a question for too long you start to realise all the angles it could be approached from and end up feeling like you'd need to write a thesis to properly answer the question? Like if I really quickly plan and write an answer to the question I can do well, but if I spend a lot of time thinking about it I confuse myself on how to tackle it :s-smilie:

Really hope it's not just me that gets this :colondollar::colondollar:
Original post by newrecord
Do you ever feel like if you plan and think out a question for too long you start to realise all the angles it could be approached from and end up feeling like you'd need to write a thesis to properly answer the question? Like if I really quickly plan and write an answer to the question I can do well, but if I spend a lot of time thinking about it I confuse myself on how to tackle it :s-smilie:

Really hope it's not just me that gets this :colondollar::colondollar:

You're over thinking it. Make a point, back it up and then counter it. Try not to get personal when answering a question. I often argue against what I believe to be the case...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ThePrimeMover
You're over thinking it. Make a point, back it up and then counter it. Try not to get personal when answering a question. I often argue against what I believe to be the case...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good call- it's easy to get really passionate about a viewpoint when you're writing :P
what is everyone revising within the nature of god topic?
Reply 1349
Original post by ThePrimeMover
I would approach this differently.

1. Explain visions and the 3 types of vision, corporeal, imaginative and intellectual.

2.Explain the psychological challenge Paul etc and asses weakness

3.Link to Swinburne's principle of credulity and question if we should believe that one has actually experienced a vision. Counter with Vardy UFO criticism then counter Vardy with Alston's views to back up Swinburne.

4. Then argue that visons can be explained in terms of psychology. Discuss and asses his view. Then explain Jungs views to suggest that psychology doesn't rule out god.

5. Finish with short paragraph using either James or Feuerbach depending on the conclusion I make.

Do you think I could get an A with that? How much freedom do you get to answer the question?

That plan seems good enough. Yeah you can get an A, there is no right answer in philosophy which is why it's quite nice if you know what you're writing. As long as you keep your essay focused and answer the question that can definitely get you an A :smile:
Reply 1350
Original post by BrunoRussell96
Pascal's wager simply suggests that a decision matrix means that we ought to believe than not believe in God (i.e the probability of God existing at the potential pay-offs of such are higher than the opposite). Thus, we ought to believe that God exists. It fits in because these attributes are what makes the pay off so high but there is so much material that I wouldn't worry about it too much! :smile:

Ahh I think I get it, so because God has all these attributes then it would be wise to choose to believe as if you don't then you're losing out?
But yeah tbh I think I won't even mention i, but thank you :smile:
Reply 1351
Original post by shahn_
Hey! This is what I worte for this question and I got a high B/low A and yeah I'm aware i haven't finished :P

Ohh I like this, especially the way you bought James into it and a symbolic interpretation of visions.
Thank you, this helped a lot because I really hate religious experience :p:)
Reply 1352
Original post by mellow_fellow
what is everyone revising within the nature of god topic?

The eternal nature of God - simplicity, eternal or everlasting
Omniscience and its problems
Omnibenevolence and problems
Omnipotence and problems
Original post by quirksy
Okay so in brief:

Myth:
- Key proponent Bultmann
- Biblical stories/religious language may not necessarily be factually accurate, but it is a literary tool that we can use to uncover significant and meaningful truths - need to "demythologise" the Bible to discover its hidden truths.
- e.g. when looking at the creation story in Genesis, might not be true that God created the world in 6 days etc., but the meaning we gain is that he is omnipotent and involved with the world.
- someone (can't remember who) said "myth is a servant, not a master" which is a good quote to explain
- then evaluate it

Symbol:
- key proponent Tillich
- can use language to talk about God, but need to interpret it as symbolic i.e. points to something beyond itself and 'participates' in that something
- can open up new levels of reality + dimensions of the soul by using our soul to interpret the symbols
- also develop a deeper connection with God because we're not just taking the language literally at face value, but working to understand it
- pretty strong theory imo

hope this helps!

Thanks alot mate, very helpful :smile:
Could someone recommend the 3 easiest/best philosophy topics to revise for? Thanks in advance
Original post by kibster118
Could someone recommend the 3 easiest/best philosophy topics to revise for? Thanks in advance

I'd say attributes, miracles and religious experience - smallest topics and they link very well together :smile: though I'd suggest doing 4 incase there's a question you hate!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Naomi12
I'd say attributes, miracles and religious experience - smallest topics and they link very well together :smile: though I'd suggest doing 4 incase there's a question you hate!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright thanks for the help! Yeah that is probably the best plan :smile:
Does anyone know the philosophy questions that came up last year? Because I can't find it anywhere
How is everyone revising for this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, does anyone have any notes on revelation & can someone explain whether for William James PINT (passivity, ineffability, noetic quality, transience) are features of all religious experiences or only some?
Thanks
Hoping for life after death and religious language 🙌

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending