The Student Room Group

Drama School Applicants (Entry 2015)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Has anybody on here had an audition for Drama Centre? If so, how did you find it?
I have my audition tomorrow and I am quite excited, I am surprised however that they ask for us to write a 300 word reason as to why I am applying to Drama Centre. Do they not read the personal statement attached to the UCAS application?

My auditions are:
Drama Centre (tomorrow)
RCSSD - 5th Jan
LAMDA - 17th
GUILDHALL - 29th
RADA - Still waiting...

How is everyone else finding the audition process?
Hey guys, just got the best piece of advice today. “They are schools, not ****ing theatre companies. They aren’t just looking for ‘the best’ but ‘the teachable’.
Reply 122
Hey! This is my first year auditioning for drama schools and I'm thinking of auditioning atleast for RADA and LAMDA. I'm a bit confused with the application process and I was just wondering whether anyone could tell me when should I be expecting for my RADA audition date to be if they receive my application let's say on the 10th of December? Might be a bit odd question but I hope I made sense.
Original post by mercut
Hey! This is my first year auditioning for drama schools and I'm thinking of auditioning atleast for RADA and LAMDA. I'm a bit confused with the application process and I was just wondering whether anyone could tell me when should I be expecting for my RADA audition date to be if they receive my application let's say on the 10th of December? Might be a bit odd question but I hope I made sense.

I don't know if this will help but I sent mine on 10th Dec and got a letter with my audition date on 15th Dec and the date of my audition is 15th Jan. But I have heard of people getting an audition literally a week after they sent their application so I really think it depends. Good luck :smile:
Hey, I've applied for technical courses rather than Acting or MT, but I'm just wondering about people opinions of whether Royal Central or Rose Bruford are better and why? I have a conditional offer from Royal Central and an interview with Rose Bruford.
To anyone who has applied to Drama Centre, how long did it take them to contact you after you sent your UCAS?
Original post by DramaStudent
Ho-ly ****. My RADA audition opened my eyes. Here is what I thought:

I’ll tell you something, auditioning here was a big deal for me. I’d been working for over a year on character research and my performance. So as you can tell, I was quite nervous.
Previously in the year I’d done a few one day classes there, and I really had my heart set on the place. The people, the environment it was all perfect for me. So today- or Wednesday if we’re using real time was a huge to me.
I got on the train, not nervous. Travelled a few hours, not nervous. Then got to Kings Cross- and I was s***ting myself. I was so nervous. I even had a moment before I got off the train where I had suicidal thoughts if I didn’t get in. Ridiculous I know, but it was in the moment you know? It was a ‘what if I’m not good enough’ kinda feeling. So I got off the train, lacking in self-beleif. Now anybody who lacks in self-confidence knows how hard it is to get back- especially when your audition is in an hour. So I took I detour to Leicester Square- just to see which actors on the posters had actually went to drama school. I’ll tell you 4 out of 300. Ha! Pathetic. I then jumped back on the tube and arrived at Goodge Street. The home of RADA, I met a bloke from Amnesty who was begging for money. I really wanted to help, then he was all like “£10 a month”. So spur of the moment I gave a fake name and address, telling him my bank details were at home and I was starting school at RADA so I needed to get going but for him to give me a call later. In fear he’d test the number I gave him me real phone number. Then he said something brilliant that I didn’t realise was brilliant until now. He said; “I’ve got a friend in France who is an actor, but training isn’t good. He goes to La Coq (the French RADA) and he is thinking about leaving the profession”. Wow.
Anyway, happy with my performance as ’Nathan’ I realised I had 15 minutes to get to RADA in-time. Although it was just around the corner I wanted to prepare. So i walked straight past it, around the other corner did some mantra bulls*** then walked back towards the entrance. I walked through the doors and ignored the people on the stairs heading straight to reception to get the sticker. I turned around and faced the crowd. Noticing this ridiculously beautiful girl; I think she was called ‘Lilly’. i forgot where I was for a few minutes- just trying to ‘give her the eye’. But I was interrupted by Sally, a nice old lady who does admin and s***. She took us up to the top floor and sat us down. I wasn’t nervous at all- not in the slightest. I kept looking around smiling at all the other nervous faces. We had some awkward conversation but that’s about it. We then got split into three groups. And the other two f***ed off whilst me, the beautiful girl and two other irrelevant people sat in the room waiting for ’the panel to be ready’. 10 minutes later, we were taken up to a higher level. And I thought we were already on the top floor. Then made to wait in a s***ty looking corridor. Called up one at a time. Soon it was my turn.
As soon as my name was called the nerves started a little, not a lot but a little. I walked through the door quite awkwardly. “Hi” I said from a distance and strolled across to the panel. I knew from that second they weren’t going to accept me. The feeling was one of “ageism”. I sat down for a short interview. They asked me about my CV, I informed them and they couldn’t really give two f***s. I was then asked to “stand in the end third of the room”. Are they actually f***ing with me? But I did so and gave my first monologue. It was Shakespeare, okay. I’ve done it so much better, but the emotion was there. The feeling was there, my breathing was a little faulty but it improved during the monologue. I wasn’t in a whole different world. But, I was in the moment. I was the character. It felt not good, but also not bad. They clearly didn’t think so. She smiled falsely and informed me to “stand back at the 1/3 of the room for my second piece”. So I did. This wasn’t that good either. But again not s***. I skipped a line but saved it, but once again it was definitely not my best performance. But surely not my worst.
I finished, nobody acknowledged this. So I sat back down in the interview chair at my own accord. “Favourite actors?” They asked, so I answered. I told them about my love for Brando and his Strasberg methodology, and Olivier, Dench and Gielgud and my love for their realism work in Shakespeare. We spoke about Dee Cannon a former teacher. But now that I look back it all seemed rather patronising. They weren’t talking to me, they were humouring themselves about this ‘kid who knew more that his age’. It ended rather abruptly. I left and that was that. i wasn’t happy, nor was i disappointed. The auditionees I spoke to after hadn’t a clue about Stan or the group theatre, or Shakespeare for that matter. I was shocked! How hadn’t they discovered this yet! They were all seemingly focused on FAME, becoming famous. I pitied them, but was also rather confident that I’d impressed the judges.
On the journey back I reflected and realised something, I realised the bulls*** they had given me. The patronising and the blatant ageism. They weren’t going to accept me the second I walked through. I’m a lower middle-class, skinny, medium height seventeen year old. They don’t want that. No. RADA want the stocky, posh, tall, blonde guy. Yeah, yeah. Diversity. I get it I looked at their graduates. But look at them closely, they are all the f***ING SAME! All of them. if you take away, class and race and whatever else. They all have a sense about them that is they are all the same. Hence the lack of success.
I received conformation that I wouldn’t be attending next year today in the post. Not even a recall. My suspicions confirmed. I may be being a sore-loser in your mind if you’ve never auditioned. But if you have, you know what I mean. These guys aren’t picking talent, they are casting people. I bet you more than half the successful British actors at the moment were denied at RADA. Funny that. They don’t want different, they want the same. Look at the 2014 grads compared to the 1990 grads. The differences are hard to spot.
i’ve realised that this place doesn’t want to change. It’s pompous, stuck up it’s own arse and will never remove it’s head from the sand it buried it in. “In RADA we only accept the best”. No you don’t. Because if you did all your grads would be living the Tom Hiddleston life. 3 out of the last 10 years are.
I’m applying to other places also but this has made me realise why working-class actors are very hard to find. Because places like RADA don’t want them. And when they get them “for diversity reasons” they attempt to convert them into poshos. This is a class and age based system that needs to go. Look I’ve got nothing against 25 year olds. But seriously? It’s a f***ing school, you should be teaching younger people. Oh and that whole “life experience” *******s. f*** off. Just because you’ve lived 5 more years than me, sitting on your arse planning call of duty does not make you a better person.
f*** RADA. And your judgemental, pompous process.

There's a lot to address here, but I'm just going to talk about the bit in bold. If you're having suicidal thoughts please get some help- your self worth doesn't and shouldn't depend on a drama school accepting you. Life (especially for an actor, as I'm sure you're aware) is full of disappointments and rejections so make sure you have a coping mechanism.

Best of luck :smile:
is anyone auditioning for mountview this friday? :smile:
Have RADA audition in couple of weeks at 1.30pm. Just wondering I anyone knows how much time I should allow for it, not sure what time to book my return travel for. Thanks
Reply 129
How is everyone getting on with their auditions??

I have my first on the 25th at LIPA :smile: And then 30th at The Lir :biggrin: Sooo nervous though!
Hello,
I have my audition on sunday for LAMDA, I was wondering whether anyone could tell me the sort of questions they are going to ask my in my interview? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you :smile:
Is anyone else still waiting on an audition date for Rose Bruford for acting?? Worrying now as I sent my UCAS in very early December!
Original post by taylorbond
Is anyone else still waiting on an audition date for Rose Bruford for acting?? Worrying now as I sent my UCAS in very early December!

They should have sent you an email confirming they were giving you an audition but not giving you a date and there should be a link on it taking you to their online shop where you book the audition online from a selection of dates and pay the fee too. Hope that helps x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emmalarkin
Hello,
I have my audition on sunday for LAMDA, I was wondering whether anyone could tell me the sort of questions they are going to ask my in my interview? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you :smile:

They asked me things like what speeches I did and why, what other schools I'd applied to and they asked me about a piece of theatre I'd recently seen. My best advice would be don't worry if they seem disinterested and stern. That's what it seemed like to me and yeah I didn't get a recall for the BA or Foundation Degree but I got asked to audition for the Foundation Diploma :smile:
Reply 134
Original post by WolfStannon
To anyone who has applied to Drama Centre, how long did it take them to contact you after you sent your UCAS?

If you haven't heard from them just send them an email directly through their FAQ section. My son had the same issue. When we contacted directly they came right back with the booking audition details etc.
Reply 135
Original post by doingdrama
Have RADA audition in couple of weeks at 1.30pm. Just wondering I anyone knows how much time I should allow for it, not sure what time to book my return travel for. Thanks

about an hour. Depends where you are in the queue. they split into groups of 3 or 4 and have a copal of panels. Intro to the school first and then the audition and a 5 minute interview with the same panel who saw your pieces. Hope that helps
What kind of contemporary monologues are people doing? Searched so many plays but still can't find any I like/that are the right length requirement etc.
Original post by megan_edwards
What kind of contemporary monologues are people doing? Searched so many plays but still can't find any I like/that are the right length requirement etc.

I've got a choice of two monologues - one is Lulu from Shopping and F***ing (excuse the title!), a girl who's obsessed with buying stuff and has just witnessed a murder and the other is Katrina from Bizarre and Rummage, an agoraphobic who talks about how she's scared of the outside - so they're pretty contrasting pieces. I just thought to choose two that were different in genre because one might get a bit boring...

If you haven't already I recommend Methuen book of female monologues (modern) and it was pretty good, but any kind of book would have a good selection Even if the monologues that I did like weren't quite right for me, I would still find the writer of the play to find more of their plays and I could just expand from their :smile:

On a side note I may sound like I know what I'm doing but I haven't even applied yet and I hope the drama schools will accept last-minute applicants!!! :/
Original post by Rhymie
about an hour. Depends where you are in the queue. they split into groups of 3 or 4 and have a copal of panels. Intro to the school first and then the audition and a 5 minute interview with the same panel who saw your pieces. Hope that helps

Thanks for the info:smile:
Hi there. I hope someone can answer my question! I am the parent of a student in the US. She just auditioned for GSA for the BA acting program. She also is auditioning for LAMDA, Guildhall, and Royal Central in addition to several schools in the US.

How would you say GSA compares to those schools in terms of quality of training? What are the three years really like?

The reason she is curious is what she gleaned from the website seemed different than what the auditors portrayed in the audition, so she kind of got a mixed message on if she really knew what GSA really had to offer.

Thanks so much for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending