The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sanctimonious
Yes you are. You live in your own London bubble and the air of arrogance you possess because you think everything is on your doorstep is unbelievable. It's even more unbelievable given that everything in fact is not on your doorstep. Whilst you may have loads of supermarkets, clubs and shops you do not possess beautiful sandy shores and you have to travel to relax by the seaside with a cold drink after a hard days work. I think its fair to say most Londoners live in a world of arrogance based delusion and thus are oblivious to the world outside it. You often look down on outsiders when in fact they happily choose not to live in London because its an overpriced urban cesspit.

Yours Sincerely,

Someone who just turned down the opportunity to live in London.

:smile:

beautiful! :smile:
Yes you are. You live in your own London bubble and the air of arrogance you possess because you think everything is on your doorstep is unbelievable. It's even more unbelievable given that everything in fact is not on your doorstep. Whilst you may have loads of supermarkets, clubs and shops you do not possess beautiful sandy shores and you have to travel to relax by the seaside with a cold drink after a hard days work. I think its fair to say most Londoners live in a world of arrogance based delusion and thus are oblivious to the world outside it. You often look down on outsiders when in fact they happily choose not to live in London because its an overpriced urban cesspit.

Yours Sincerely,

Someone who just turned down the opportunity to live in London.

I've never come across this attitude... I don't think most Londoners think that London is 'better' than a seaside town, just different.

Personally, I do happen to think the seaside's a bit ****, but that's just me.
I live in the South but outside London and not talking to random people on the bus or train is the norm, so I have never understood why people say Londoners are unfriendly :dontknow:
Original post by dandelionxo
For someone claiming that "most" Londoners live in arrogance, you seem incredibly stuck up yourself.

Im stuck up for not liking arrogant and ignorant people living in a bubble? Okay. If that's your definition of stuck up then I am 100% stuck up. I'll take that whilst also being humble enough to appreciate the great and hospitable people outside London.

It definitely is not "fair" to base the obviously few experiences you've had over an enormous amount of people.

I have been to London, unfortunately, too many times. It is an absolute dive of a place and I dislike it. I have not had a 'few experiences' as you claimed was obvious. Evidently not. I have been there many times and its always the same - ignorant people rushing to the trains or tube, people with no time for others, people who are rude to others because they're caught up in their own world trying to make money in the rat race, etc.

Sure, some Londoners may not appear as outwardly friendly as some other cities do or have the same appeals you look for, that still does not give you the right to judge the characters of those you've not met and probably never will.

What a load of nonsense. The OP asked for a generalisation. If he wanted individualism the thread would be entirely pointless. In general, the vast majority of Londoners I have come across are ignorant, arrogant, living in their own bubble and very rude. Yes there are a minority of Londoners who obviously do not fit that description but the OP asked for a generalisation in his opening post when he said 'Londoners'.

Original post by dandelionxo

Yours Sincerely,

Someone who is happy you just turned down the opportunity to live in London.

And there you go as if to reenforce my point that you're not very welcoming to those outside just because they are critical of your 'London bubble'. Can't go criticising wonderful old London now can we?

:rolleyes:
Reply 24
Original post by yo radical one
I live in the South but outside London and not talking to random people on the bus or train is the norm, so I have never understood why people say Londoners are unfriendly :dontknow:

Because it's congested and dense, so general ignorance/indifference to others is made more obvious and people take it as being rude.

Most people who live in cities will act like this. London just makes it 10x more apparent than anywhere else. It's not like living in the villages where people are on the whole, much more friendly and obviously so.
Original post by Tabris
Because it's congested and dense, so general ignorance/indifference to others is made more obvious and people take it as being rude.

Most people who live in cities will act like this. London just makes it 10x more apparent than anywhere else. It's not like living in the villages where people are on the whole, much more friendly and obviously so.

Agree with this - people need personal space, and if they cannot get it by having physical space then they will construct it in their minds by pretending the people they're surrounded by aren't there. It's the only way to stay sane living in a densely populated city.
Original post by moonriver96
it was just generally on the tubes and around central london.

Oh well central London they probably don't speak English. So I understand, it's murder on the underground.

Visit other parts before you judge!

We're not all that bad. (:
Yep. I once stood on the wrong side of the escalator and some bellend PUSHED me out the way. If I hadn't been so shocked I would have hit them.

I hope the 20 seconds you got to the tube quicker than I really made your day, *******
Original post by Democracy
How needy do you have to be to get offended when randomers at the bus stop don't spontaneously chat to you?

This "London is sooooo unfriendly" spiel is so boring.

There's a difference between engaging in conversation and being openly rude and ignorant. Sorry that you live in a 24/7 bubble where every thing goes at a rapid pace but that's no excuse for bad manners or impoliteness.

The vast majority of people in London only care about their own business and money. What do you really expect in the epicentre of capitalism?
Original post by beautifulxxx
Lol it has some crap areas. Mate do you even live in London? Lol I find that central London peeps are more civilised, but that's just my opinion.

Yeap north London resident,its like you have got to walk with speed and be strong shouldered to navigate through the commuting crowds but I guess it is londoners who seem to be in their own world that piss me off.
Original post by yo radical one

It's the rudeness. I'm from Birmingham which is also a big city and while we don't talk to randomers, if someone needs help or makes a mistake we don't look at them with an air of disdain
I'm willing to bet a lot of this comes from people told off for standing on the left on the Underground escalators.
There's a difference between engaging in conversation and being openly rude and ignorant. Sorry that you live in a 24/7 bubble where every thing goes at a rapid pace but that's no excuse for bad manners or impoliteness.

The vast majority of people in London only care about their own business and money. What do you really expect in the epicentre of capitalism?

Yeah this. I don't want random people talking to me - but I'd rather not be pushed and spoken to rudely
Reply 33
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
I'm willing to bet a lot of this comes from people told off for standing on the left on the Underground escalators.

:rofl:
Original post by A Mysterious Lord

Tbh the escalator thing really ****s me off, tubes come every 2 minutes why exactly do you need to rush down?

Which of these examples of "bad manners" are found only in London and not in any other urban area?

Yeah I'm sure if you live in some village out in the sticks (and god knows I've been sent to enough of these on placement) life goes at a slower pace and when you go to get a sandwich from the shop the lady at the counter wants to have a chat for a minute or two - but that doesn't make Londoners impolite. It just means they have stuff to be getting on with. Being busy doesn't mean you're rude, it just means you're busy.
Original post by Democracy
Which of these examples of "bad manners" are found only in London and not in any other urban area?

Yeah I'm sure if you live in some village out in the sticks (and god knows I've been sent to enough of these on placement) life goes at a slower pace and when you go to get a sandwich from the shop the lady at the counter wants to have a chat for a minute or two - but that doesn't make Londoners impolite. It just means they have stuff to be getting on with. Being busy doesn't mean you're rude, it just means you're busy.

So Londoners are 'more' busy than everyone else in the country? There's the arrogance again. Loads of people in many cities like Manchester, Liverpool, Cardiff, Leeds, etc. work and they still find time for other people and are much more polite on average.

Londoners are not always busy as they claim to be. They just have no interest in socially interacting with many other people because they probably see no individual gain from it. People in other cities still work long hours and still have lives to live yet they are nowhere near as rude as Londoners.
London is a fine city.
The arrogance and the impolite manners are diverse.
It depends on the people you come across.
So don't criticise London as an ill-mannered city, majority of the civilians are rather pleasant to talk to.
How would people like it if their own country (their home country) were criticised from vituperative public opinions?
(edited 9 years ago)
So Londoners are 'more' busy than everyone else in the country? There's the arrogance again. Loads of people in many cities like Manchester, Liverpool, Cardiff, Leeds, etc. work and they still find time for other people and are much more polite on average.

Londoners are not always busy as they claim to be. They just have no interest in socially interacting with many other people because they probably see no individual gain from it. People in other cities still work long hours and still have lives to live yet they are nowhere near as rude as Londoners.

Agree. Brummies aren't rude and we work long hours/are busy
Most southerners are like that.... but londoners are really a completely different level.

The rudeness and bad manners are quite staggering, but they will still call you up on your "northern" accent or slang even if you don't really live that far north.

And don't get started on canary warf... the opulence there was quite sickening only matched by the rudeness.....

Latest